Ordovician

paleofsl

Hello everybody!

I thought the discussion about this fossil was ended and it was correctly identified. But now I think I was very optimistic... I was revising the bibliography and there are any eurypterid described in the area.

Could you send some other picture of the Megalograptus, Paleovision?

Thank you very much again.

Well, that first pic from paleovision didn't do the eurypterid idea any good. It doesn't look like the specimen in the OP at all.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Since others have suggested trilobite, and since the name is similar, how about COLPOCORYPHE rouaulti, and the museum just got the class of organism incorrectly labeled?

Edited by Mr. Edonihce

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Since others have suggested trilobite, and since the name is similar, how about COLPOCORYPHE rouaulti, and the museum just got the class of organism incorrectly labeled?

The museum has the fossil labeled correctly. Calix and Colpocoryphe rouaulti are both valid names. Marie Rouault was a French paleontologist that specialized in echinoderms and trilobites in the middle 1800's. There are a myriad of invertebrates named in his honor. I certainly was one of the first on the arthropod bandwagon but cannot see any possibility of a eurypterid or trilobite on this one. The image of Calix above still remains as a bell ringer for this odd fossil.

Can anyone say Calix new species? :o:P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png