Ordovician

paleofsl

Could somebody help me identifying this fossil?

It comes from the Medium Ordovician of the West of Spain. In the left side of the rock you can see also a fragment of a calymenid trilobite.

I think it could be a cystoid, but really I haven't seen anything similar before.

Best regards.

dscn3694.jpg

dscn3695s.jpg

What a bizarre and intriguing first fossil you are sharing with us. I have been looking at Burgess and Chengjiang as well as referencing the Ordovician Lagerstatte of Fezouata. 

images shown in negative aspect with varying b/w & color comparison.

post-4301-0-14694400-1299148712_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-72038100-1299148719_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I don't mean to be contrarian, but I don't see either the protrusions (I just see the relief of walls and spaces where the 'walls' tend to stick out more as you go toward the edge because there's no more 'space' there).

Also, I don't see any 'clear differentiation of progressively rearward uniform segmentation'.

What I see are randomly placed 'walls' and 'spaces' compounded by randomly placed 'holes'.

The only thing that comes to my mind on this one is the surface texture of the dried up cacti that I see once in a while here in Colorado.

Any chance this thing is some kind of plant or other non-animal fossil?

....wait.....as for the segmentation....do you mean like this?....

20110303_ordoviciansomething.gif

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Hello Piranha and Mr Edonihce

First of all, thank you for your wellcome; I must apologize for my poor english. I'm from Spain.

To help with the determination of the fossil, I was looking for some documentation about the fauna of the area where I found it.

The best documents I found are in spanish, but from them you can get the most usual species. The addresses where you can get them are:

http://revistas.ucm.es/geo/0378102x/articulos/CGIB8484110287A.PDF

http://estudiosgeol.revistas.csic.es/index.php/estudiosgeol/article/download/680/707

Thanks for your answers.

That is an interesting fossil... could it be a worm of maybe a fish or a bryozoan from the ordovician?

Is it Similar to this... bryozoan/ sponge from Devonian

Bois Blanc Formation in Chert matrix

post-2446-0-97365800-1299161925_thumb.jpg

Edited by pleecan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest N.AL.hunter

In the first pictures you posted, I see holes. In the pics Piranha posted, I see protrusions. Do they poke out on in? If they poke out, I would go with crustacean, if they poke in (holes) I stick with Sponge. I do not see cystoid structure at all (so that is what it will probably end up being).

In the first pictures you posted, I see holes. In the pics Piranha posted, I see protrusions. Do they poke out on in? If they poke out, I would go with crustacean, if they poke in (holes) I stick with Sponge. I do not see cystoid structure at all (so that is what it will probably end up being).

Thankfully this thread has been resurrected from the depths. I would really be thrilled for a positive ID on this thing. To Del's point, there might be confusion on the features we are discussing. I am not referencing the ornamentation (protrusions) on this specimen. I was alluding to the spine-like features emanating from the margin of the fossil. The image on the left now highlights all five that appear to be present. The fossil might be an internal cast so it would be difficult to know whether the protrusions are in or out. For that reason I attached the negative aspect so both options might be considered.

post-4301-0-35228500-1300730679_thumb.jpg

Thank you Piranha, thank you N.AL.hunter for your answers.

Assuming, as Piranha says, that the fossil could be and arthropod, what are we seeing in this fossil? A cut of the internal soft structure of the abdomen? It would be great, but I have no news of another soft bodies fosilization in the area.

Here you have some fotographs that I received in the spanish forum of cystoids from the same age and area. The holes pattern it's not the same, but it bears a certain resemblance.

calixCornuta.jpg

calixdetalle.jpg

JB of UK has responded with a reply:

"Fascinating... although I think the arthropod argument is a bit off. Rather than segmentation with bilateral symmetry, this has irregular, very definite plating. It's superficially similar, but no more than that.

Before I saw the scale, I thought a weird palaeoscolecidan. It's still theoretically possible, but the plates would have to be 100 times bigger than any previously known... and they should be phosphatic, so the preservation would be weird. In other words, not palaeoscolecid. The only real option I can see here is echinoderm. The plate sculpture is similar to some crinoids from the Ordovician of Wales, although the plate arrangement isn't regular enough to be crinoid. However, some "cystoids" (an ambiguous term!) have very strange plate ornament, and this is entirely plausible. I'm sure it's not Calix (I've seen these in Morocco, and they're quite different in many ways), but some sort of "cystoid" is the best bet. Diego Garcia Bellido would be the guy to know, probably - I'll drop him a message and see if he's seen this before. "

end of quote

JB of UK has responded with a reply:

"Fascinating... although I think the arthropod argument is a bit off. Rather than segmentation with bilateral symmetry, this has irregular, very definite plating. It's superficially similar, but no more than that.

Before I saw the scale, I thought a weird palaeoscolecidan. It's still theoretically possible, but the plates would have to be 100 times bigger than any previously known... and they should be phosphatic, so the preservation would be weird. In other words, not palaeoscolecid. The only real option I can see here is echinoderm. The plate sculpture is similar to some crinoids from the Ordovician of Wales, although the plate arrangement isn't regular enough to be crinoid. However, some "cystoids" (an ambiguous term!) have very strange plate ornament, and this is entirely plausible. I'm sure it's not Calix (I've seen these in Morocco, and they're quite different in many ways), but some sort of "cystoid" is the best bet. Diego Garcia Bellido would be the guy to know, probably - I'll drop him a message and see if he's seen this before. "

end of quote

Thank you Peter and JB,

The extra effort to research this mysterious creature is sincerely appreciated. Indeed, cystoid had been mentioned as a possibility as was pointed out by the original poster. I did endeavor to track down the dozen or so Spanish species of Calix sp. but unfortunately could only find a few examples. Perhaps it is another genus or a particularly fine example as the representations I discovered were strikingly different. The spines still give me pause even conceding Joe's point that the segmentation is only superficially similar. The determination of the cystoid expert will hopefully settle the matter with a degree of specificity to its exact classification.

You are welcome Scott. This is a real puzzle. That is what makes this forum interesting!

PL

Thank you very much again for your answers.

My sorrow is that the debate has reached a point where I can contribute little, because my level was exceeded long ago. I can only, if necessary, clarify any questions with the fossil in hand or, if anyone considers it necessary, provide new pictures.

Update:

JB from UK contacted Diego Garcia Bellido and JB posted...

"Just letting you know that Diego hasn't seen it before and is asking around some of his colleagues in Spain... "

This is an unknown...

To me.... it looks like a giant worm... annelid.... or bryozoan

PL

Edited by pleecan

When I found the fossil breaking the rock sheet, I was accompanied by a friend who lives in the area. He was very surprised with the fossil, because he never have seen nothing similar. So, I give him one of the parts. Now, he send me this photographs. I hope they could be a help for the determination of the specimen.

molde1.jpg

molde2v.jpg

Edited by paleofsl

Two possible fossils may match:

-Some sort of Calix sp.

-In the second post, there is a pattern that it is very similar to one of those cystoids you talk about...

Finally, it seems we have a positive identification for the fossil.

A member of the spanish forum (Gerastos) visited the Geomineral Museum in Madrid and there he found exposed a similar specimen, labeled as Calix rouaulti.

He send us a photograph (apologizing for the poor quality). Here you have it.

dsc03780tq.jpg

WAIT!!!! JB from UK disagree and is still A Mystery.... Possible Cystoid instead....

It's nothing like the Calix roualti described by Chauvel in "Echinoderms de'l Ordovician du Maroc" (Cahiers de Palaeontologie, 1966) - and since he erected the species, he ought to know.

I still think it's a cystoid, but not Calix sp. Not solved, as far as I'm concerned - If it's the same species on display (I can't see an image of it on TFF for some reason) then I guess the museum got it wrong too (it happens more often than we'd like to think). Peter, I'll send you a photo of the plate from the reference by email. ``

PL

Oh, my god!! I can't believe! That's a nightmare. I'll need a another label for the fossil... :wacko:

Thank you very much, Pleecan, for the effort you are doing to identify the fossil. And thank you very much to JB too. Do you know if he had some news from the Garcia Bellido colleagues? Perhaps the solution could arrive from them.

I showed JB the museum photo and compared it to your unknown fossil... and this is his reply..

" Interesting - first impression is that it's somewhere between C. roualti as illustrated, and the mystery specimen, but certainly closer to the latter. Might have to track down the original description as well as Chauvel's Moroccan paper. "

So it could be C . roualti....:blink::wacko: please don't shoot the messenger....

• 5 months later...

Hello !

It sure ressembles Megalograptus carapace texture... I would say prob. a megalograptid/eurypterid fragment... See picture :

b-t-w : Hello Peter !!! :-)

post-3546-0-02482900-1315365573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paleovision