Gryphaea

Shellseeker

I have found these -- not as nice in the Peace River and always wondered what they were... extinct oyster??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Fossil-Miocene-Bone-Valley-Devils-Toe-Nail-Shell-/400154021739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2b09cf6b

Any one have a more complete photo of what the bivalve looked like? I have always tossed them back, thinking non fossil

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

um well, we have gryphaeate oysters in texas, but they don't look like that too much.

post-488-0-29564700-1299199895_thumb.jpg

um, the things in this picture that aren't french fries or heteromorph ammonites are mostly oysters of the gryphaeate persuasion, but i can't remember which name they're called, probably texigryphaea mucronata or who knows, really, but they're petrified. just looked it up and i don't understand the descriptions at all but i'm going with washitaensis cuz it's albian and the counties and formations sound right and it's got that "ae" weirdness going in it that goes well with the genus name...

i found a bunch of them, just like the one pictured, in Wildwood FL. i had no idea they were rare, or i would have collected more of them.

i found a bunch of them, just like the one pictured, in Wildwood FL. i had no idea they were rare, or i would have collected more of them.

If you found a bunch of them, they really wouldn't be too rare :) I'm sure the seller on ebay would like us to believe they are. lol.

In Texas we have to kick the 2 pound exongyra Ponderosa oysters out of the way so we can walk.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Gryphaeas are generally common I would think. The fossil looks pretty crappy if you ask me. Only a local collector would know if it is indeed rare at that site and of any value. Then of course we are talking e-bay where everything anything is valuable!

Wow! $50 for that thing?

I am so badly in the wrong business....perhaps a career move if it turns out that people are actually buying things like that for that much money.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

If anyone is considering spending 50 bucks for a Gryphaea, consider this... I would be happy to unload some of mine, hich are nicer than that one for amere 25, nay, 20 bucks a pop. And they are mucholder... Jurassic.

OK, maybe Gryphaea is rare in the Miocene of FL, but 50 seems a bit steep.

um well, we have gryphaeate oysters in texas, but they don't look like that too much.

post-488-0-29564700-1299199895_thumb.jpg

um, the things in this picture that aren't french fries or heteromorph ammonites are mostly oysters of the gryphaeate persuasion, but i can't remember which name they're called, probably texigryphaea mucronata or who knows, really, but they're petrified. just looked it up and i don't understand the descriptions at all but i'm going with washitaensis cuz it's albian and the counties and formations sound right and it's got that "ae" weirdness going in it that goes well with the genus name...

Looks like chips to me! :):drool:

LOL

Heres what lower jurassic ones look like...

post-1630-0-11937500-1299665009_thumb.jpg

post-1630-0-14990300-1299665029_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Wow -- Thanks you for making this forum as good as it gets. Providing a picture is worth a 1000 words.

jurassic--- and I am looking at miocene shells. What is 125 mys between friends? :D

The ones I find in the Peace are rather mundane (here is one from yesterday below) -- the complete one you show is outstanding, I would give $50 for that , but that is likely not nearly enough..

post-2220-0-21234100-1299681103_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-34168100-1299681112_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Shellseeker.... ''and I am looking at miocene shells. What is 125 mys between friends?''

Yep... not a lot!...they are slow movers... $50 would be way too much for this, theres a place if you hit on the right tide with everything in your favour you could find a hundred of these in a visit...Usually people who collect them swop them with the shops against other fossils they want...

Wow -- Thanks you for making this forum as good as it gets. Providing a picture is worth a 1000 words.

jurassic--- and I am looking at miocene shells. What is 125 mys between friends? :D

The ones I find in the Peace are rather mundane (here is one from yesterday below) -- the complete one you show is outstanding, I would give $50 for that , but that is likely not nearly enough..

Seriously?

I suspect that have a bunch of things which you may be interested in purchasing.

Shellseeker.... ''and I am looking at miocene shells. What is 125 mys between friends?''

Yep... not a lot!...they are slow movers... $50 would be way too much for this, theres a place if you hit on the right tide with everything in your favour you could find a hundred of these in a visit...Usually people who collect them swop them with the shops against other fossils they want...

Doh! :P

Old Picture, but it shows why these are not worth anything. From an Alabama bed of gryphaea:

I know the sentiment.....I've seen crazy places in Texas where there are hundreds coming out of the formation within a ten foot area, and seemingly thousands all over the ground.

However, we can't see anything in that tiny photo....just an outcrop of dirt or something.

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Seriously?

I suspect that have a bunch of things which you may be interested in purchasing.

Yes,

Take a look at the 2nd photo that Terry Dactyll posted. Comes from lower Jurassic, so minimun of 120 mya. It is relatively perfect, still has color, and is well mounted.

Now , go to ebay , search for "Shark Fossil" and take a good look at the shark teeth that are maybe 2 mya, not as colorful, not as perfect and see what sellers are actually getting for $50.

I know it is all supply and demand, but what is the supply here of relatively perfect, colorful, well mounted 120 mya Gryphaea? I know some people think they should get $500, $1000, or $3000 for a large Meg that in general , I would not pay $100.

Yes,

Take a look at the 2nd photo that Terry Dactyll posted. Comes from lower Jurassic, so minimun of 120 mya. It is relatively perfect, still has color, and is well mounted.

Now , go to ebay , search for "Shark Fossil" and take a good look at the shark teeth that are maybe 2 mya, not as colorful, not as perfect and see what sellers are actually getting for $50.

I know it is all supply and demand, but what is the supply here of relatively perfect, colorful, well mounted 120 mya Gryphaea? I know some people think they should get $500, $1000, or $3000 for a large Meg that in general , I would not pay $100.

Cool.

So, make the offer to buy it for $50 official.

I can't imagine you'd be turned down.

-- Mr. Edonihce

Shellseeker.... The Gryphea are between 200 and 160 million years old in the photo above and the one you like 200 million... They are pretty common at certain locations in the uk so a decent price.... have a look at this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9-ASST-GRYPHEA-ARCUATA-FOSSILS-HANGING-DISPLAY-CASE-/220749697350?pt=UK_Collectables_RocksFossils_Minerals_EH&hash=item3365b51146

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Thanks to both Mr Edonihce and Terry Dactyll for a learning experience. Shows how little I actually know about the real value of fossil materials.

It is a reason why I have not bid on shark teeth on eBay, even though they are very striking compared to what I find.

I just do not have reasonable experience on what something should cost and when you are getting a reasonably good deal..

Live and Learn -- Thanks for the link :)

Thanks to both Mr Edonihce and Terry Dactyll for a learning experience. Shows how little I actually know about the real value of fossil materials.

It is a reason why I have not bid on shark teeth on eBay, even though they are very striking compared to what I find.

I just do not have reasonable experience on what something should cost and when you are getting a reasonably good deal..

Live and Learn -- Thanks for the link :)

:) Well, you're right....live and learn.

None of us has learn everything yet, but once in a while, we come across something we're already a bit familiar with.

On a hunting trip with a good paleo buddy one time, I found what he thought was a fairly rare trilobite, but I wasn't exactly as excited about it as he was. Then.....later that day, he found a very weathered crinoid with arms, and offered it to me in exchange for the trilobite....I could hear his other friend say something like 'yeah, right!'.....and my buddy said, 'no, watch....he's really into crinoids'.......and immediately, of course, I said, 'OK', and made the trade. To this day, I still have no idea what kind of trilobite that was, but what I do know is this....it is in better hands now than if I had it, and my friend was happier on that day because of it, and I got a sweet looking crinoid out of the deal.

....actually, now that I read back through the story, I'm not exactly sure why I told it right here, but since I invested in the typing, I'm not going to waste it and delete it now. :P

Happy hunting. :)

-- Mr. Edonihce