Unidentified Bone From Pliocene

taylorcold

I found this piece of bone fragment while collecting Pliocene gastropods at an abandoned phosphate mine in Sarasota Co Fl. I would sure appreciate suggestions as to what this is. All of the images of this piece can be viewed at the URL for my photo gallery below:

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100727

Here are a few images not in the gallery.

post-3171-0-32479700-1299210975_thumb.jpg post-3171-0-88412300-1299211001_thumb.jpg post-3171-0-49389800-1299211021_thumb.jpg post-3171-0-82366500-1299211053_thumb.jpg

Looks like a piece of skull to me. All those nooks and crannies and little holes are typical of mammal skulls. Well, most skull, really. Vertebrae can have them, too , but this looks skullular.

"Mastoid Process"?

Is there anything I could do such as photograph it differently, to facilitate an identification? I do remember that the mastoid bone in humans is behind the ear, right?

The two holes that are most prominent are very deep and seem to connect. Air blown in one hole, comes out of the other.

Thanks for the responses.

Thomas

Thomas, you could take a couple more photos showing angles not seen above. I wouldn't necessarily rule a piece of sacrum, just yet.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

"Mastoid Process"?

I do remember that the mastoid bone in humans is behind the ear, right?

Right ! ;)