Somewhat Unusual C. Megalodon Addition

fossilselachian

Attached is a 5.0" SC river megalodon with attached sea whip coral (Leptogorgia virgulata). This coral will attach to solid substrates on the river bottoms including, in this case, a C. megalodon tooth. I have an additional example with attached purple (as with this case) as well as white and yellow coral. I know nothing about the process of how the coral initiates attachment but it seems to lay down a hard glue-like base from which the actual strands begins to grow. On this example individual strands of coral are up to 14" in length.

post-294-1213302161_thumb.jpg

Attached is a 5.0" SC river megalodon with attached sea whip coral (Leptogorgia virgulata). This coral will attach to solid substrates on the river bottoms including, in this case, a C. megalodon tooth. I have an additional example with attached purple (as with this case) as well as white and yellow coral. I know nothing about the process of how the coral initiates attachment but it seems to lay down a hard glue-like base from which the actual strands begins to grow. On this example individual strands of coral are up to 14" in length.

That is a nice conversation piece, FS! The diver must have taken pains to get it to the surface intact, though I think they're pretty flexible.

I've had a couple of antique bottles with coral growning on them, never a whip coral though. Here's one I that I like.

post-42-1213304546_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

You planted it upside-down, & the roots grew the wrong way!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You planted it upside-down, & the roots grew the wrong way!

Nice one Auspex. It took me a while to get it :P

Nice addition to your collection. I've never seen anything like that before!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

post-294-1213302161_thumb.jpg

That's awesome (and looks a little familiar. ) ;)

Great display piece.

Thanks,

Eddie

That's awesome (and looks a little familiar. ) ;)

Great display piece.

Thanks,

Eddie

Yes, Eddie - you have seen it before B)B)

Wow, that I love. I thought it was joke at first. I am not around live coral to know

how it grows. Wonder how long it can grow like that.

Welcome to the forum!

i think i saw that tooth on ebay i was gonna get it and take that thing off. nice job

No, never on ebay - straight out of the river into my collection B)

That looks great (awesome idea) as a decoration on the table. I bet many would remove the coral, but then it would make it look like all the other Megs out there.

You could decorate it for Christmas... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You could decorate it for Christmas... :P

I'll be out shopping for mini-lights today! :P:D