Tooth From Big Brook, Nj

DCW

Hey gang, I'd appreciate some help on this one:

I have here a tooth from Big Brook, NJ. It's small(about 0.4 in.), but it has very nice color, enamel, and preservation. One of my favorites that Ive collected. I assume it's from some marine vertebrate that predominate the area, but you never know.

It has two cutting edges with no visible serrations. It is slightly conical and robust for a small tooth, unlike any shark tooth, with it's point intact. Save for a very tiny abrasion, its enamel (which is a deep, lustrous brown and black) is nearly pristine. Kind of reminds me of some of the dinosaur teeth I see on websites, but this is not typical for Big Brook. Baby mosasaur? Croc tooth? Nothing seems to match, Im at a loss. Thanks in advance, and enjoy the pictures!

DSC_7592.jpg

DSC_7585.jpg

DSC_7596.jpg

DSC_7600.jpg

DSC_7589.jpg

I have to agree with Rick on this. Looks like a mosasaur tooth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Very likely a mosasaur tooth. If it IS a theropod tooth, that's about as rare as you can get for Big Brook.

Here's some typical mosasaur material from the brook: http://www.njfossils.net/Mconodon1.jpg

Edited by Crimsonraptor

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Most mosasaur teeth I've com

e across have a curve to them. Yet this tooth is straight and triangular. Did the shape change I'm accordance to where the tooth was positioned in the jaw?

Most mosasaur teeth I've com

e across have a curve to them. Yet this tooth is straight and triangular. Did the shape change I'm accordance to where the tooth was positioned in the jaw?

The teeth can vary slightly, I think. The only other candidate for owner is a theropod dinosaur, and aside from being rare also have serrations. Nice find, by the way---you don't often get that much enamel to remain on a tooth :)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Therapod teeth also have a curve, though. Looks a lot like teeth from my Halisaurus jaw. I'm not sure if it's typical for some of the other Mosasaur species, but the teeth seem to have a curve, and the straighten at the tip. If this is a knocked-off tip, it would explain the lack of a curve.

But that's seriously just a complete guess :P

But that's seriously just a complete guess :P

It's a good guess, and a well reasoned observation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess a tooth tip would make sense.

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

yes mosey tip. really nice enamel though!

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

It's a good guess, and a well reasoned observation.

Yes a SWAG: Scientific Wild A** Guess. A good one too. Another odd possibility would be a honking-big Xiphactinus.

Yes a SWAG: Scientific Wild A** Guess. A good one too. Another odd possibility would be a honking-big Xiphactinus.

I thought fish, too. But I could swear I can make out some very worn serrations.

I thought fish, too. But I could swear I can make out some very worn serrations.

me too bro...that's why i said therapod-ish. but it's probably a small mos tooth tip.

the tooth structure (enamel and dentine) looks reptilian. and some mosasaur teeth can have micro serrations like the ones we think we are seeing on these very nice clear pictures.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Thanks to all who have posted so far.

This tooth is odd. I agree it's enamel looks reptilian as suggested by toothpuller, but I cant for the life of me make out any serrations. Yes, they could have worn off, but the tooth looks like it just fell into the stream after many millions of years packed in sediment. Can it be so highly preserved and yet have the serrations worn completely off? (Maybe I should breakout a stronger loupe.)

Mosasaur is an obvious candidate, but I'm not 100% convinced. Ive never seen one quite like this.

As for the possibility of it being the tip (which is a plausible explanation): there is a small "hole" in the middle of the base. (see last photo) Wouldn't that signify the beginning of the root or does this run all the way up to the tip?

Thanks again, guys. Really interesting, active forum!

The hollow cavity can run a good distance up the tooth. It was actually one of the first features that made me think it's the tip of the tooth, rather than the whole thing. As for the serrations being worn...who knows? Those streams do crazy things! I just got my first complete borodini today, and wouldn't you know it...the fragile thing stayed intact, but is worn completely smooth instead. Blah.

Besides possibly being a mossy,,,It maybe a croc too. Sometimes its very hard to tell them apart. Either way a very nice find.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Besides possibly being a mossy,,,It maybe a croc too. Sometimes its very hard to tell them apart. Either way a very nice find.

Hmmm...perhaps. It just doesn't look right to me, to be a croc tooth. I still think it has a distinct whiff of mosasaur.

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 2 years later...

Sorry, Ray. There might be some debate over what reptile it is, but I seriously doubt it's Ischyrhiza. Wrong texture, unlikely color, and way too big.

Edited by Carl

Sorry, Ray. There might be some debate over what reptile it is, but I seriously doubt it's Ischyrhiza. Wrong texture, unlikely color, and way too big.

I agree. This would have to be a huge sawfish to have the size of this tooth. I have found many saw fish teeth and none resemble this one.

I really have the urge to bring it to the state museum in trenton. Anyone have any experience getting in contact with an expert?

And hey, thanks for reviving an old thread and getting me back to the forum after a short hiatus.