A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

You have an unbelievably beautiful and totally awesome collection. Thank you for sharing images of it with us. Simply amazing...

Many thanks VERTMAN for your comments ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice presentation, Astrinos! I just found it now after not visiting the Forum for a while. Quite the diverse flora and fauna you have there, not to mention some impressive specimens.

Eric

Eucalyptus leaves

I think Eucalyptus is exclusive of Australian and NZ, so I would say that it is more possible that it is somekind of bayleaf (Laurus sp.), common fossil in Mediterranean area, and living today..

Nice presentation, Astrinos! I just found it now after not visiting the Forum for a while. Quite the diverse flora and fauna you have there, not to mention some impressive specimens.

Eric

Many thanks Eric for your comments ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I think Eucalyptus is exclusive of Australian and NZ, so I would say that it is more possible that it is somekind of bayleaf (Laurus sp.), common fossil in Mediterranean area, and living today..

Many thanks Alex for the correction ;)

After reexamining this case, I think you are right. So I am correcting my wrong given information.:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice fossil leaves, Astrinos ;)

Welcome back, Alex :D

Many thanks Nando for your comment ;)

As for Alex... I was looking for a chance to learn the real Moropus' name and thanks for giving it to me.;)

The word ''Moropus'' reminds me the greek word ''eti-moropos'' meaning ''ready to collapse''. :D So Alex is clearly better, much more it belongs also to another important member from Spain too (MB)...:)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Amazing collection, Thanks for sharing itsmile.gifbow.gif

Many thanks Jimi for your comments ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Thanks Nando!

Astrinos, my real name is a greek one, Alejandro (please, not a single Lady Gaga joke!),wich derivates from Alexandros...

I was once in your country, well, not Crete, but the mainland (many years ago), and I really love it! Incredible geology!

Nice to help you!

See you! ;)

Thanks Nando!

Astrinos, my real name is a greek one, Alejandro (please, not a single Lady Gaga joke!),wich derivates from Alexandros...

I was once in your country, well, not Crete, but the mainland (many years ago), and I really love it! Incredible geology!

Nice to help you!

See you! ;)

Even much better your have the name of Alexander the Great! :) You bear something important from my country...

You know Alex that your help with my fossils' id is always valuable...

I appreciate that.;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

(on post #121)These slabs consist of sweet water travertin.

Do you have an age on these ones?

I have some similar ones and they are recent, they could be 50000 or 50 years old you know and look the same...

I don't know what age impressions on travertin have to have to be considered "fossils".

Edited by paco

The '' slabs '' on post 54 (if saying slabs you mean the big pectens) were found into cemented sand layers and are of the late miocene.

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Geia sou file Astrine!!

(Pws pame apo “greeklish”; 8a sunexisw pantws sta agglika gia na katalabainoun kai oi upoloipoi…)

I identified some of your posted finds. Great stuff you are digging up down there!!!

I don’t pretend to be an expert but I know my mollusks and I love comparative anatomy

and Systematics (I’m a nerd :-)…

Where I am not sure about genus (1st name, capital 1st letter) or species (2nd name, small 1st letter) the names are in brackets and have a “?” following. Wherever you see “(form. Genus)” this means the genus was formerly known as that… In general Systematics can be quite confusing and you can find one species with many synonyms, and these keep changing over time when new finds show up and genera and species are described and names regiven or reconsidered.

The names I give you I concluded upon checking with my reference books, some I know well from my favorite Pliocene deposits and some, few, are my (educated) guesses, but I’m confident they are mostly correct. If they are not, anyone, please feel free to correct me. Taxonomy is and will be a never ending story and a layman like me often makes mistakes… So, here it goes:

Post #52 (from left to right):

1st row: Panopea (glycimeris?), Anadara sp., Venus multilamellosa,

2nd row: Tellina corbis, Tellina sp., (Glossus sp., Pelecyora sp. ??)

Post #53 (from left to right):

1st row: Chlamys (varia ?), same ?, Chlamys multistriata, Chlamys ( form. Aequipecten) opercularis?

2nd row: Chlamys scabrella, [ Chama sp., Pseudamusium sp.], Pecten jacobaeus, Tellina corbis

Post #62 (from left to right):

1st row: Turritela sp. (lower left quarter Archimediella sp ??), Clavilithes sp., Clavilithes sp. (longaevus?), Aporrhais uttingeriana

2nd row: (?,?), Harpa sp., clockwise from large one: Murex (form. Trunculariopsis) sp., (Buccinum sp.?),?,?, last pic: lower 3 left: Fusinus sp., rest: ?

Post #63 (from left to right):

1st row: (Hinia sp.?), Rumina decollate, Baryspira (form. Ancilla) glandiformis, ? (not a useful photo, for gastropods take pictures with the apperture showing)

2nd row: Terebratula ampulla (a brachiopod not a mollusk), (Sassia sp.?), Strombus sp. (could be a Voluta sp. though…), [Athleta ficulina ?... I guess you know better ]

Post #64 (from left to right):

1st row: Natica sp.,, [Albea sp.], (Cassis sp, Nassa sp. ? not a useful photo), Xenophora sp. (internal mold)

2nd row: (Astraea sp.?? internal mold), Mitra sp.?, Leptoconus (form. Conus) edwardii, Conus (antediluvianus) internal mold.

Post #94

These hole patterns indicate activity by a stone dissolving sponge like the recent Cliona celata, could be the same species, they have been around for a very long time before us but they only leave traces of their (destructive for some, artistically interesting for me) activity…

Cheers.

Geia sou file Astrine!!

(Pws pame apo "greeklish"; 8a sunexisw pantws sta agglika gia na katalabainoun kai oi upoloipoi…)

Γειά σου φίλε μου!

Με χαρά μου υποδέχομαι επιτέλους ένα συμπατριώτη μου.

Δεν χρησιμοποίησα αρχικά ελληνικά γιατί δεν ήξερα αν το ήθελες.

Ο λόγος που έγινα μέλος του TFF ήταν κυρίως η ταυτοποίηση των απολιθωμάτων μου. Άν και τα περισσότερα μέλη δεν είναι εξοικειωμένα με το υλικό μου (λίγοι ήξεραν που είναι η Κρήτη) και άν και τα αγγλικά μου δεν είναι ό,τι καλύτερο, υπάρχει σημαντική ανταπόκριση, όπως θα έχεις διαπιστώσει ήδη και μπορώνα πώ ότι έμαθα αρκετά πράγματα.

Θα ήθελα να μάθω για σένα πρώτα το μικρό σου όνομα και από κεί και πέρα ότι έχεις ευχαρίστηση.

Σε ευχαριστώ για τη βοήθεια και πιστεύω πως θα επικοινωνούμε για περισσότερα.

Με εκτίμηση

Αστρινός

And the Greeks became two :)

A hearty welcome Paco to TFF.

Many thanks for your valuable help ;)

I'll place the given species names as soon as I find the chance...

Keep in contact.

Best wishes

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• 2 weeks later...

Ziziphus sp leaves 1

post-4345-0-51426600-1304191030_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-85807500-1304191038_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-02500000-1304191044_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Ziziphus sp leaves 2 and a fruit stone.

On the slab in the pic 3 there is also an almost complete buxus pliocenica leaf.

post-4345-0-72878800-1304191250_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-91276000-1304191267_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-82698700-1304191281_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Cupressaceae filiages and cone.

post-4345-0-05958200-1304191419_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-95565200-1304191427_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-14337700-1304268991_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Pinus sp leaves (needles).

post-4345-0-77539500-1304191601_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-51046800-1304620174_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Dicotylophyllum leaves 1.

post-4345-0-49014200-1304191729_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-85283100-1304191736_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-59690200-1304191745_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-78346100-1304191754_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Dicotylophyllum leaves 2.

post-4345-0-60834800-1304191826_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-28253700-1304191838_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-94589500-1304191862_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

All your fossils are wonderful, and I am very fond of your style of preparing them :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oaks quercus sp leaves 1.

post-4345-0-01266200-1304192110_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-36549800-1304192117_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-84739000-1304269383_thumb.jpg

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Oaks quercus sp leaves 2.

post-4345-0-91781100-1304192203_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-06273200-1304192215_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-98278100-1304192239_thumb.jpg