Fossil Report May 2008

Uncle Siphuncle

For those interested my May fossil report can be seen at

BMNS.org

then from the sidebar click "Meanderings of a Texas Fossil Hunter"

This one is again rather heavy on the echinoids.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow, "To the motivated go the spoils" is certainly true to life.Awesome stuff,maybe you could get a photo archive of all the specimens collected at the waco pit that day.Robert collected about a dozen teeth and we both got squid beaks.I could mail it to you.Well back to that which is important WOW! where do you keep all this stuff?

Andre Lujan

ArtofExtinction

I really enjoy your "Meanderings" reports. I know that significant effort is required, but the low-and-slow approach is very relaxing to read.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I may have to slow down a little...the wife came down hard on me last week for collecting every weekend over the last 5 years. So today I took the fam to the Texas Folk Life Festival in downtown San Antonio. I guess I'll make my play when conditions are best.

Grüße,

What, no fossils in San Antonio? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess we all get a little burned out on the local fossil menu at times and I'm no different. Most of my collecting takes place at out of town localities. We have relatively few of what I consider good sites here in town, and very little rain during an average year, so after each rain I'm pretty quickly done with my area and look to other areas to keep me flush with new finds.

Grüße,

I just love those trip reports, Dan.

Thank you for taking the effort!

It's the next best thing for someone who can't collect in Texas himself.

Can't get enough of those echs that you find.

That Salenia texana in figures 143-146 of the second report is outright AWESOME!

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Glad you like - I know I do. I collect lots of echies, mainly because they are available in the Cretaceous strata I frequent. It is also cool from a storage standpoint that they are small. Throw on top of that preservation of the original surface, unlike the ammonite, bivalve, and gastropod steinkern preservation prevalent down here, and you have a desirable target fossil. It seems that TX and FL are spoiled on echies as they don't seem to be ubiquitous in other states. I really thrive on variety in collecting, but when other venues aren't seeing proper conditions for collecting, I can usually come up with an echie collecting venue to get my fix. Sure, if we had abundant and well preserved dinosaurs, trilobites, etc nearby I'd target them as well, but to some degree you are relegated to whatever outcrops within a 300 mile radius.

Grüße,

I know exactly what you mean on both accounts.

Writing a trip report is like reliving a hunt again and adds to the enjoyment. Sharing doubles the fun I always say!

I write some trip reports on occasion on the BRF-forum, also under the alias "Synechodus"

Another reason I like your reports is because I had the opportunity to hunt in Tarrant County last year, while over in Arlington for business for a week.

In a sense trip reports remind me of that week where I basically did nothing but work and hunt for fossils and in between ate a bit at Bennigans and slept, just because I had to. :rolleyes:

The main reason I focus on shark teeth and echs is their relative abundance in the 300 mile radius around my home in the South of Holland.

For the nice shark teeth I mainly go to Mill / Langenboom which yields great quality Mio/Pliocene teeth in fair numbers and the gretaer Antwerp area.

Though not as abundant, the Cretaceous teeth closer to homeare very nice too.

Concerning the echs from the Cretaceous outcrops near my hometown, of those I have a substantial set, but the remaining ones are very to extremely rare so once in a while, depending on what is going on in the quarries that I frequent, I just indulge in getting more/better specimens of the more common echs.

Just the other day, I hit paydirt in one of those quarries with some nice huge Hemipneuses striatoradiatus just because I had a hunch they would finally have stopped removing the overburden of clay and gravel and started excavating the upper beds which are prime Hemipneustes beds.

post-456-1213600502_thumb.jpg

I think the time is right to invite Marc de Vries to go hunting together once more, now that conditions seem to be good ........

Love those big echs. Tell Marc I said hello.

Grüße,

Will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to reading the May meandering. Another fine report. I had to wipe away the drool when I was done. An amazing amount of echinoids, some of which I had not seen before, especially the mini/micro stuff.

My vision is still blurry from picking out the micro echies. Time to go to the optometrist again.

Grüße,