Unexpected Finds While Fossil Hunting

Uncle Siphuncle

Other than the Indian skull I found a couple years ago, I was surprised to find a tattered but still legal tender 20 dollar bill half buried at a construction site, a gold ring while scuba diving which I sold for $70, and a Mexican peso wedged in between rock layers at a road cut. Anyone else finding things out of the ordinary?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Saw a hypodermic needle floating down one of the creeks I hunt once. Definitely was glad I was wearing shoes.

Guest bmorefossil

well 2 years ago on a cold blowout tide as i was looking out where the water would be and sticking out of the frozen sand was a dollar bill. Doesnt hurt to get paid to fossil

Guest solius symbiosus

A long time ago, I found the base of an otoscope. It was pretty beat up; like it rolled down the highway.

Other than the Indian skull I found a couple years ago,

Wow, an Indian skull. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you? That would be awesome!

As for me, I once found a nice Peruvian mako in a cactus jar. Around two years ago, My dad had to go to Chile for a business meeting. I managed to come along(I BEGGED him), and after a week in Chile, my dad rewarded me with a trip to Peru :) Unfortunately, I didn't get to get into the formations :( , but I did find this beauty.

I. hastalis- Peru

post-282-1213486289_thumb.jpgpost-282-1213486301_thumb.jpg[attac

hment=6842:Shark_teeth_003.jpg]

She was found in a cactus flower pot in the Hotel lobby next to the cafe. The root was hidded, and it was lying horizontally. It was buried, but the enamel did reflect off of the lights. It struck the corner of my eye, so I decided to check it out

:o :o :o THAT was my expression afterwords. My dad said I was VERY lucky :P

post-282-1213486309_thumb.jpg

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

As a 10 year old, looking for Pennsylvanian tree-fern fossils, I came across a Hemlock stump (cut between 1895-1910) that was (conservatively) 16 feet in diameter. I remember the moment (the silence, the smells, the July sun on my back) like it was yesterday. I found out many years later that Grampa knew all about it and let me "find" it on my own.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As a 10 year old, looking for Pennsylvanian tree-fern fossils, I came across a Hemlock stump (cut between 1895-1910) that was (conservatively) 16 feet in diameter. I remember the moment (the silence, the smells, the July sun on my back) like it was yesterday. I found out many years later that Grampa knew all about it and let me "find" it on my own.

Thats a huge tree!

Coolest thing I found was a bunch of coins that dated 1940's on a beach in flordia. It was just after a hurrican. Funny thing was I found them just walking the waves, while the guy with the metal detector wasnt having the luck I was. Found about 10 coins.

Archived