New Mammoth Find In North Texas

faus78

Pretty awesome find for sure. I heard that it was found in the Post Oak Creek watershed on a homeowners property that backs on to the creek.

It appears that the bones are in great shape from the video. I'm glad that an amateur didn't find the specimen and start hacking away with reckless abandon.

So cool to have something like that found within an hour of my house :)

Well whoever it was, I wish them ongoing success. :D What a cool find.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On the News they said it was the family who's property backed up to the creek. Very cool and I'm glad they called someone in to get it out.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very interesting, never know when something important will reveal itself, thanks for sharing--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I recognized Rocky and Richard from the DPS in the video, but it looked like Ed S. in there too. Also Don F. who I saw the next Sunday if that was Friday and he never said a thing. Secrecy is important at an unfinished site. Makes me wonder why it was on TV before all the bones were out.

Great find -- but also curiosity on my part. This is a woolly mammoth and in Texas likely 60000 years ago. The woolly has long hair and adaptable to colder climates --

Should I be thinking current climates similar to Yellowstone or Wrangel Island. What do experts think the climate in Sherman was 60000 years ago? Could Woolly mammoth teeth show up in Florida?

What do we think about the following quote? Last time I looked, Texas was quite a bit south of North Carolina.

http://paleoenterprises.com/moreinfo.htm

MAMMOTH The latest research indicates that the only two species of mammoth in Florida were the Mammuthus haroldcooki or early mammoth (also called Imperial Mammoth) and the later columbi (Columbian Mammoth). The widely known Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) is now thought to have ventured no farther south than present-day North Carolina. Also, some leading scientists now believe that some mammoths may have survived much later than previously thought, perhaps as recent as 4000 years ago.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Guest N.AL.hunter

"I'm glad that an amateur didn't find the specimen and start hacking away with reckless abandon."

I think an "amateur" did find it and didn't hack away at it. Not good to lump all amateurs together.

"I'm glad that an amateur didn't find the specimen and start hacking away with reckless abandon."

I think an "amateur" did find it and didn't hack away at it. Not good to lump all amateurs together.

I agree , cuz I are one and hang out with many... Poor choice of wording there..

My Bad :blush:

Great find -- but also curiosity on my part. This is a woolly mammoth and in Texas likely 60000 years ago. The woolly has long hair and adaptable to colder climates --

Should I be thinking current climates similar to Yellowstone or Wrangel Island. What do experts think the climate in Sherman was 60000 years ago? Could Woolly mammoth teeth show up in Florida?

What do we think about the following quote? Last time I looked, Texas was quite a bit south of North Carolina.

http://paleoenterpri...om/moreinfo.htm

Shellseker--I agree with you about possibility of a wooly in Texas isn't plausible. Most unknowing people equate mammoth with the wooly variety, believe the author embellished the story just a little to fascinate the readers. I believe it is a Columbian but more will be know after it is unearthed--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

An online story said it was actually found way back in December.

I wonder why it took 3 months to get some Dallas Paleo folks out to look at it. Maybe the owners were trying to sell it? I think that's maybe what held up the Garland mosasaur dig initially.

http://paleoenterprises.com/moreinfo.htm

I did the anal thing and contacted the station and informed them that it was probably a fossil of a Columbian mammoth and not from a woolly mammoth.

Not that they'll bother to make a correction.

Archived