Fossiling On Fathers Day Along Calvert Cliffs

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

we got to an earlier start than usual geting to the beach around 5:30 am. On the first walk down the beach i looked down and see a beautiful 1 3/4 mako sitting there on the beach. A few steps from it i see a meg root sticking out of the sand!!!!! to bad the root was only 1/2 inch wide, but a nice tooth anyway. I stayed in one section for awhile because the teeth would not stop appearing. I dont think i have ever found this much teeth in my life. A guy soon walks by and asks what i have found, i show him my finds and he goes on to tell me that back in the day he would skip teeth that sze across the water. He had a bunch of great stories that he told me and told me all the good places to look ( most i already knew about) but its good to hear what people find where. Soon i spot an odd looking bone sticking out of the sand when i pull it out i find out that its not a bone but a rock. The guy tells me not to throw it away because its not just any old rock but its a tool indians use to shape arrowheads!!!! So i start putting it in my pocket and before i can finish i look down and see the root and serrations of a meg!!!!! this one not small eather. When i pick it up i find that half of the meg is missing. I wish the guy good luck and he heads on his way. So i head back to my dad and show him the finds and as we walk the beach i see some shinny black enamel in the sand. I pick it up and it ends up being an ok reworked meg with some root and serration damage. We head to a second spot and like always at this spot nothing is showing up but my dad finds two assorted dolphin verts. We had yet another party to go to so we ended the day early and went home.

post-17-1213629851_thumb.jpg

post-17-1213629873_thumb.jpg

post-17-1213629906_thumb.jpg

post-17-1213629933_thumb.jpg

post-17-1213629964_thumb.jpg

post-17-1213629985_thumb.jpg

I'd really like to see the Indian tool! If the guy's right, there's no telling how many of them I kicked to the surf.

EDIT: There it is: it hadn't loaded yet when I read the post. Now I'll take a good look.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice. I wish New York would be that productive :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Guest bmorefossil
I'd really like to see the Indian tool! If the guy's right, there's no telling how many of them I kicked to the surf.

EDIT: There it is: it hadn't loaded yet when I read the post. Now I'll take a good look.

yea i know i almost chucked it myself!!!!

now the guy i met says he has found thousands of indian artifacts and many where i hunted so its not like the first indian artifact ever found. when i was watching a program on the discovery channel they were saying how the chesapeake bay area is the most productive area for finding indian artifacts

I certainly would not have thought twice about it. Over the years, I've found maybe 12 points there. My pride-and-joy is a smallish Meg that had been worked; no idea as to it's purpose, but some indian put time and effort into it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK bmore,

So that there will be something left for the rest of us in July, here is what you need to do.

Gets a bunch of signs printed up that say something like, "DANGER: DO NOT ENTER THIS BEACH AREA!! This area has been closed due to an infestation of the terrible Hemipristis. No one can enter this area until after July 13th, 2008"

Place those everywhere, and stay away yourself!!

Guest bmorefossil
OK bmore,

So that there will be something left for the rest of us in July, here is what you need to do.

Gets a bunch of signs printed up that say something like, "DANGER: DO NOT ENTER THIS BEACH AREA!! This area has been closed due to an infestation of the terrible Hemipristis. No one can enter this area until after July 13th, 2008"

Place those everywhere, and stay away yourself!!

ill see what i can do lol

Guest bmorefossil
I certainly would not have thought twice about it. Over the years, I've found maybe 12 points there. My pride-and-joy is a smallish Meg that had been worked; no idea as to it's purpose, but some indian put time and effort into it.

can i see a picture of it i dont think i have seen a worked on meg before, i know they would wear them but maybe they used them ast points as well!!!. If you have it put away then dont worry about it.

can i see a picture of it i dont think i have seen a worked on meg before, i know they would wear them but maybe they used them ast points as well!!!. If you have it put away then dont worry about it.

I've been looking for it; must be in the way-back of my storage locker (it hasn't seen the light of day in over 20 years). I do want to post a pic, 'cause I'm proud of it's coolness!

Guest bmorefossil
I've been looking for it; must be in the way-back of my storage locker (it hasn't seen the light of day in over 20 years). I do want to post a pic, 'cause I'm proud of it's coolness!

yea i would be as well, like i said dont worry about it but if you find it post a picture!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice teeth. If you need help posting those signs N.AL.hunter refered to let me know. I promise I won't look for teeth while I'm there...LOL

Guest bmorefossil
Very nice teeth. If you need help posting those signs N.AL.hunter refered to let me know. I promise I won't look for teeth while I'm there...LOL

yea when you think about it would be like people posting the border to the new collecting area at lee creek. It doesnt hurt to look while you do your job lol

yea when you think about it would be like people posting the border to the new collecting area at lee creek. It doesnt hurt to look while you do your job lol

Did I hear LEE CREEK! :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Here's your sign, though it won't stop any real fossil hunters.

post-423-1213651527_thumb.png

Guest bmorefossil
Here's your sign, though it won't stop any real fossil hunters.

well maybe not biohazard but if we had a nuclear waste leak sign or something that would be better because the Nuclear power plant is near where i hunt. That would be better what do you think?

Here you go; better use them both.

post-423-1213655928_thumb.png

Guest bmorefossil
Here you go; better use them both.

ok that will have to do now we need to make them. How much is this all gonna cost lol

It's a futile effort: what self respecting fossil hunter would let a little radioactive biohazard keep them from their Megs?

Guest N.AL.hunter

"It's a futile effort: what self respecting fossil hunter would let a little radioactive biohazard keep them from their Megs?"

So true, because many collectors of fossils out west are spending a lot of time in and around uranium enriched earth. Many dino bone and even more recent bone is slightly radioactive.

I bet some people's collections would set off the alarms from homeland Security!!

Very impressive haul. But, let me offer a heads up that not every hunt along the cliffs turns up such abundance -- over time my hunts along the cliffs have traced a roller coaster pattern. I guess all fossil hunters know that intuitively. What you find on the Bay partly depends upon where along the cliffs you search, who got there before you, how you're searching, tides, weather, etc., etc. . . and, of course, the damned fickleness of the fossil gods.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Don't forget your Lucky Socks!

Guest bmorefossil
Very impressive haul. But, let me offer a heads up that not every hunt along the cliffs turns up such abundance -- over time my hunts along the cliffs have traced a roller coaster pattern. I guess all fossil hunters know that intuitively. What you find on the Bay partly depends upon where along the cliffs you search, who got there before you, how you're searching, tides, weather, etc., etc. . . and, of course, the damned fickleness of the fossil gods.

yes and im living proof the weeks before this trip were basicly trash it was nice to see teeth once again