Greenhorn Limestone Formation -kansas

Daryl

I've got a snake hunting buddy that just got back from the Greenhorn Limestone in Russell county, Kansas. He's not a fossil hunter but says the area is loaded with fossils.

Has anyone spent any time in this area? Is there anything there of particular interests?

Side Note: He says lots of rocks had been rolled over and not placed back in their original position. I think this was done by other snake hunters (apparently a lot go out there), but he thinks it was fossil hunters. Any thoughts?

I've both fossil and snake hunted a lot in Russell County. I have found a few shark teeth (Cretoxyrhina) and tons of different shells. I've also found leaf imprints in the Dakota sandstone in Russell county.

Reptile wise, There are a few prairie rattle snakes, horned toad lizards, and lots of Collared lizards(my favorite to chase around the rocks).

(The picture of my tipi was taken in Russel county)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to check out the area.

I'll be sure to put all the rocks (except those I collect :D ) back in their original position. My snake hunter buddy says leaving them overturned harms the microhabitat that is used by numerous small animals.