Sawfish Rostrum (Bill)

dirtdauber

3 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Are you talking about the denticle type that is shown on the third picture of the Cretaceous denticles on this thread: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/48659-shark-and-ray-dermal-thorns/  ? The denticles in the paper are described as "hat-shaped," which makes me think that they are not the same as the button type denticles in the thread.

Yes. That's the type I was referring to.  Here's a bunch from Frankstown Mississippi.   frankstownraydenitlce.JPG

I don't claim that all of these are the same or only Ischyrhiza has these fairly generalized denticles.  One major takeaway from the paper regarding denticles should be to take extreme caution in any denticle assignment.   

But it should be noted that these button type denticles are very common in the same places where Ischyrhiza is very common.  

• I found this Informative 2

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

40 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

Yes. That's the type I was referring to.  Here's a bunch from Frankstown Mississippi.   frankstownraydenitlce.JPG

I don't claim that all of these are the same or only Ischyrhiza has these fairly generalized denticles.  One major takeaway from the paper regarding denticles should be to take extreme caution in any denticle assignment.   

But it should be noted that these button type denticles are very common in the same places where Ischyrhiza is very common.  

Do you think that the Peyeria sp. denticles can now be fully attributed to Ischyrhiza as dorsal denticles? I have a very similar denticle from NJ that I think may be from Ischyrhiza.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal