Stone City Formation

dinodigger

Hey gang,

since we've been posting on the Eocene a little more lately, I thought I send out a request. Currently I am rounding the last bend as I try to finish the research I've been working on describing the vertebrates of the Stone City formation, the well known middle Eocene location of Central Texas. After about four years of research, we're about finished with the project. Photographing and identifying has been a long arduous task, and the writing part is none less frightening. We would really like to see what others have found from the site, as we look one last time for anything unusual that hasn't been described yet. It is both unfortunate that we haven't seen anything "new" come from the site in a few months, but also fortunate. The more material that needs to be described extends the project, though I would welcome ten new specimens and three more months, than to accept that there is nothing new to be found. The site has produced one of the best Eocene vertebrate faunas in the gulf coast and depicts an awesome array of fish, sharks, and both marine and terrestrial reptiles. And there are too many words to describe the invertebrates, until next year anyway...

If anyone has anything to share, please shoot me an email or post on the forum. I would love to check out the collections out there. I'm sure there is something out there I need to photograph and describe.

Thanks again,

Chris

dinodigger@gmail.com

I was just about to refer you to my pal Chris who knows everything about the Stone City Formation when I realized...

wow!!! Small world...

I was just about to refer you to my pal Chris who knows everything about the Stone City Formation when I realized...

Very nice collection of invertebrates! The Archictectonica is quite lovely. The array of Conus sp. specimens are really nice. This is a great example of the invertebrate fauna that is most commonly found on site. They should all clean up really well.

If you have any vertebrates photographed I would love to see them.

Chris

Here is some of the vertebrate material I found there earlier this year.

post-2326-0-20666600-1301442488_thumb.jpgpost-2326-0-29206800-1301442526_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-22549600-1301442562_thumb.jpgpost-2326-0-96771100-1301442579_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-89574800-1301442599_thumb.jpgpost-2326-0-94452700-1301442611_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-38109000-1301442633_thumb.jpg

-Kevin

So cool. I love these little guys, the first photo is pretty cool. Its one of the ray families. The sharks are represented by some awesome little weasel sharks, Galeorhinus and paragaleus. The barbed tooth fish is Trichurides sagittidens. Also have some Lepisosteus teeth, and a fragment of a siluriform spine. Pretty cool.

• I found this Informative 1

So cool. I love these little guys, the first photo is pretty cool. Its one of the ray families. The sharks are represented by some awesome little weasel sharks, Galeorhinus and paragaleus. The barbed tooth fish is Trichurides sagittidens. Also have some Lepisosteus teeth, and a fragment of a siluriform spine. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the identifications, I really like the micro at that site.

Don't get hung up on waiting for new stuff. Cause you know that no matter how much you delay it as soon as you send the final proof to the printer someone will find an incredible new species and ten of your species will be assigned to 8 new genera... Cause that's the way the paleo world rolls.

FYI I was there (the bridge) Tuesday afternoon and although I found several new items for my own collection all were well known. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reptile material.

No no. No delays other than my own hands in front of the word processor...

Don't get hung up on waiting for new stuff. Cause you know that no matter how much you delay it as soon as you send the final proof to the printer someone will find an incredible new species and ten of your species will be assigned to 8 new genera... Cause that's the way the paleo world rolls.

FYI I was there (the bridge) Tuesday afternoon and although I found several new items for my own collection all were well known. I'm really looking forward to seeing the reptile material.

I didn't think you were old enough to use the term "word processor". :P

Oh, actually Mike, I used to call it the Magic Sentence Generator... I also used to stuff cheese into the USB drive thinking I could feed the mice that made everything work in there...

• 3 years later...

I'm with you Mike. I don't think he really understands the word processor programs of the 80s. hehehe. Word perfect during the Atari days, or Lotus (1,2,3) or WordStar or Quattro days. Maybe I'm wrong, but doubt it.

Tankman