Second Hunt

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Me and Caitlin decided to go to the falls of the Ohio, with new knowledge we were able to identify most of all the fossils on the rocks. It was interesting to see the difference in my fossil smarts in the period of a year. After the fossil education we hit the spoils pile, which was picked clean so we hit a small out crop on a bank just out of the protection zone. We found 10 or so nice examples of Horn coral, one gastropod although it was very worn, 2 small brachiopods, a few tiny criniod, and what I think are bryzoan branches. I'll take some pictures later. :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NICHOLAS, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NICHOLAS, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You catch on purty dang fast Auspex.

Goooooooo Auspex goooooooooooo

. It was interesting to see the difference in my fossil smarts in the period of a year.

Nicholas, good for you! We 'older' folk are glad you've kept up an interest in the hobby. I'm sure even the word 'brachiopod' was a mystery to you at one time ... now you are identifying them! Remind me when you get back to Nova Scotia to send you a 'care package' of fossils to help you with your identifications.

Guest Nicholas
Nicholas, good for you! We 'older' folk are glad you've kept up an interest in the hobby. I'm sure even the word 'brachiopod' was a mystery to you at one time ... now you are identifying them! Remind me when you get back to Nova Scotia to send you a 'care package' of fossils to help you with your identifications.

I appreciate that very much geo.

I cleaned up all my fossils with a tooth brush in the bathroom sick and discovered that one of my horn corals is completely crystallized (VERY SHINY :D), the others have some crystallization but nothing compares to this one piece. A real gem.

Corals, gastropods, crinoids, brachiopods....you must be having a great time! Are you keeping field notes to archive with the specimens? (It's a good habit to develop).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Notes have been taken and almost all are cataloged. I will probably finish them up when I get home to Canada. I'm having a blast, I should be taking more pictures documenting the fossils I can't take home and have to leave in the field. Some of them are beauties.

Archived