Killer Barnacle Colony!

Boesse

Howdy all,

Here is a ginormous colony of barnacles from the Pleistocene of Oregon. Picked this up on my way back from college...

Bobby

post-225-1213912461_thumb.jpg

post-225-1213912470_thumb.jpg

awesome colony! :o

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thats dang nice mr. bob. One of the nicer ones that Ive seen. If we can ever meet up in Humboldt County, I will take you to one of my favorite fossil hunting places where its possible to find bunches of barnacles, with the occasional giant. Heck, I will try to get time later today and take a picture of a triple that i found a ways back. Funny to think of barancles as crustaceouns. (not sure how to spell that?)

RB

This is the best I've managed to find. From the Pliocene, Red Crag, Walton on the Naze, Essex, England. The base is 1" square.

post-45-1213968021_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Nice! I like associations, and I like fossils displayed on contrasting matrix; this is both.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Both of these specimens are real nice. The only thing to make them more attractive would be to display them inmy collection. Boesse, did you collect it or buy it? Not sure what "picked it up" means.

Hey Bob. Here are some fossils that I found up in the Boulder Creek area in Humboldt County. And Auspex, you may like the barnacles along with the huge mussle shell? I always thought this stuff was from the early Miocene, but Bob is telling me that its Pliocene? Either way, I think these specimens are purty dang cool!!

RB

post-171-1213994470_thumb.jpg

post-171-1213996993_thumb.jpg

post-171-1213997057_thumb.jpg

...And Auspex, you may like the barnacles along with the huge mussle shell? RB

Yes! Hulk like. Hulk like big fossils!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Howdy,

I collected it - the thing was pokin up out of the beach, and it took about two hits from my rock hammer to get it out, and a garden hose to do all the prepwork.

Ron - the Falor is actually mostly Pleistocene, if you can believe that - back in the 80's these guys from Humboldt State U. found the Huckleberry Ridge Ash in the Falor, which is a 2.0-1.8 million year old eruption from the Yellowstone Volcano. So they were able to date it, more or less.

Bobby