A Few Lee Creek Fossils

eddie

First pic shows a huge fish tail (not sure what species) and a porpoise/whale ear bone (tympanic bulla).

The baby anterior meg tooth is one of my favorites. The big teeth get all the glory, but I'm not sure these

baby teeth aren't more rare than the big ones. This one is only about 1.5", and I've not seen another one

like it..

The Hemipristis is 1 15/16" and in really nice condition for a big hemi. The skinny tooth is I oxyrinchus.

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1213918037_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213918051_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213918061_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213918073_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213918082_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213918095_thumb.jpg

All beautiful, but the Hemi is one of the prettiest I've ever seen! Congrats!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Eddie - Sure you want to keep that dinky Hemi in your collection? B):):P

Guest bmorefossil

yes that is some great stuff you got there, i agree you got to love those little megs, i have a beautiful one from the cliffs and you sure do have a nice one from lee creek

Awesome teeth!!! You gotta love color and the preservation that the Lee Creek teeth bestow!

yes that is some great stuff you got there, i agree you got to love those little megs, i have a beautiful one from the cliffs and you sure do have a nice one from lee creek

Thanks! Do you have a pic of your baby meg? I've only been to the cliffs a few times, and didn't find much.

I wish I lived closer!

Thanks,

Eddie

WOW, LEE CREEK!!!!

Nice specimens!! Only Two More Years, just two more, then I get to go in. That's a SUPER large hemi, and a nice one at that, congrats!

(rests in fetal position) Lee Creek, just two more years, Lee Creek, just two more years, Lee Creek, just two more years, Lee Creek, just two more years,

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I like shark teeth and everything... but to heck with them! I like the tympanic bulla. If you take another picture, but of the side of it facing the coin in the photo, I can identify it for you to a genus.

Bobby

I like shark teeth and everything... but to heck with them! I like the tympanic bulla. If you take another picture, but of the side of it facing the coin in the photo, I can identify it for you to a genus.

Bobby

Bobby,

Since you're being nice enough to ID the ear bone, I will let the blasphemy slide. :D

I'll get some more pics tomorrow morning, getting to be past my bed time now.

Thanks!

Eddie

Guest bmorefossil

Bobby

hey if i were to send you some pictures of the one from my partial skull could you id it for me?

hey if i were to send you some pictures of the one from my partial skull could you id it for me?

Of course I could! Whats the skull from, how old is it, and where is it from?

Bobby

Hey Bobby,

Here are a few close-ups from various angles. How can you tell which genus? Let me know

if you need more pics.

Thanks for your help!

Eddie

post-476-1213963732_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213963737_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213963742_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213963747_thumb.jpg

post-476-1213963754_thumb.jpg

That tympanic bulla belongs to the extinct dwarf right whale, Balaenula. It is closely related to the extant Right Whale, Eubalaena.

Bobby

That tympanic bulla belongs to the extinct dwarf right whale, Balaenula. It is closely related to the extant Right Whale, Eubalaena.

Bobby

Just like that! Man, you really know your stuff. What characteristics do you look for to make an ID like that?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Of course I could! Whats the skull from, how old is it, and where is it from?

i think dolphin, 18-15 million years old, and from calvert cliffs

Archived