Mazon Creek Fossil Hunting Questions

meancer

I'm so glad I found this forum. Mostly I have just been reading through various discussions, and this caught my eye because I plan to visit Mazonia for the first time this summer (we'll try to be prepared for the ticks and chiggers, thanks for pointing that out). It sounds like a really cool site, but on the map, looks pretty expansive. I guess walking around, you could potentially find the fossil nodules anywhere in the area? I"ll be traveling with my family, and guessing we can stay there for about 1/2 a day, hoping to make the most of it. Yippie, I can't wait!

Can anyone share photos of some opened nodules?

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and info!

Hello Lizziebird,

If you check out RCFossils' Photo Gallery, he has a rather extensive collection of Mazon Creek fossils. :)

Good Luck!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lizziebird, it is a large area. Expect to take a nice long walk.

I would recommend some bandanas or something to cover your head and neck. It was the deer flies that convinced me to never return during the summer!!!

You will be looking specifically for exposed areas of clay on the hillsides and ridges, but you can pick up nodules on the trails, too, so keep your eyes peeled, though they will mostly be small. The little nodules can contain fossils, too. I've got several small worms.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Hello, i was wondering if there is a fee or permit needed to fossil hunt around the mazon creek area. What are some good spots to pick? And also, what equipment and supplies I should bring in preparation for tomorrow's trip to Mazon Creek with my family?

Thanks,

KimChi :)

If you are hunting Mazonia State park, you WILL need a fossil permit. It is free online or outside the office in the park. You CAN NOT dig there. There are rules and a map provided with your permit.

If you are hunting Fossil Rock campground, it IS $5 a person and you can dig up nice plant material.

You mainly want to hunt on big hills. The hills are old coal mining spoil piles. Look for rounded redish brown, sometimes grey nodules. Its pretty hard if you're a noob. Search on here for trip reports or finds to familiarize yourself with techniques and results.

Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

No. You would classify as a group. You just can't wander too far from each other. It's mainly a safety issue. Also it keeps the riff-raff out.

And remember, if you're not getting muddy and several sticks to the eyes, you're not doing it correctly. Hahaha! Just wait for tick/spider/mosquito season....it gets worse. ;)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG