Dentalia?

DJ Fossil

:wacko: Found on Hornby Island, BC

Local ident refers to a dentalia.

What is the proper name for this beastie?

post-5479-0-33976000-1302626800_thumb.jpg

I thought that a dentalium has longitudinal ridges; this seems to have, if anything, annular rings.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

how long is it ?

altogether it is approx. 13 cm long, and 1.5 cm at its widest point.

I thought that a dentalium has longitudinal ridges; this seems to have, if anything, annular rings.

that was my thought....I googled the dentalia images online and could find nothing even close to these. They are somewhat plentiful at this location, and all are about the same dimensions....but local lore as to identity doesnt suffice...and inquiring minds want to know.

I just did a Google Image search for cretaceous dentalium and found some examples (mostly from the UK) with similar structure to yours.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Some of our local dentalia here on the Island(s) dont seem to have longitudinal ridges, just fine growth lines. The ones from Hornby are Antalis cooperi according to Ludvigsen/Beard. Nice specimen! It looks a little glossy, though, like someone slathered it in diluted glue? which makes it difficult for photographing so that fine detail can be seen. If I douse anything in glue I try to dab off the excess so as to avoid the glossy finish.

Edited by Wrangellian

Hello Wrangellian

I had to re-assemble this beastie after it tried to self destruct. Removing the matrix was difficult. After all was rebuilt correctly, it was sprayed with a lite clear coat to stabilize it from changes in humidity. Unfortunately, it tends to be a tad glossy....

Thank you for the info, I always want to find the bottom line on a fossil's provenance.

Cheers

And don't forget who went for the little baggies to wrap it up in! That was an excellent day for you.

"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

And don't forget who went for the little baggies to wrap it up in! That was an excellent day for you.

Thank You for your help there J. It was a fun day, although in the pics you looked less than happy with life.....wet feet will sometimes take their toll on ones attitude.

Next time, YOU will score some huge ammonites from there!

Cheers to my brother from another mother!

Edited by DJ Fossil