palaeopix

The McAbee Fossil Beds.

504 posts in this topic

Dave,

Good to see you back here, and thanks for your personal account of John's enthusiasm. By a strange coincidence I was looking over some Tanglefoot Creek trilobites a couple of days ago, and remembering the great time I had in your company.

Don

Dave,

Good to see you back here, and thanks for your personal account of John's enthusiasm. By a strange coincidence I was looking over some Tanglefoot Creek trilobites a couple of days ago, and remembering the great time I had in your company.

Don

Great to hear from you Don!

We had quite the adventure, back then, on that trip to Clay Creek! I can still remember fording that icy cold creek! And how about that tiny detour we made! Lol!

I've been meaning to get back to the spot for a bit of collecting, but something always seems to comes up! the good news is that I have a standing invitation, from the lease holder, to visit the site as I please, so hopefully I'll take him up on it and visit this again summer!

Dan

Dan,

Good to see you posting here again,... although the circumstances are less than welcome. :(

Thank you for sharing your view of your experiences with John, with us.

I only knew him from his posts here, but one could tell he had his head on straight, .. and that he loved the McAbee site, and it's treasures.

His death is a blow that resonates, ...possibly throughout the fossil community.

Rest in Peace, John.

Regards,

I still lurk about the FF here and there a bit!

I wish I were back on a more regular basis, but I haven't been on a collecting trip in years, so I haven't got much to share.

This is very sad news. I had not heard of this until reading this thread this morning.

I never got to meet John - we corresponded via email on a few things, and he was to come to the Island once but that didn't work out; I was headed his way several years back and we planned on fossiling, but that trip didn't work out either. So my interaction with John was limited to a few emails; I initiated them, as I needed some help with something. From this total newbie/rank amateur, John started getting emails and responded with tons of his time, photos, referals to other sources, pdf's, etc. He was all over it! And for a total stranger. His passion came through in those emails we exchanged, and he was so generous with his time - I got the sense he'd talk fossils for hours with anyone who was interested; didn't really matter if you were an expert, a colleague, an amateur or otherwise. A terrible loss, this.

Steve