palaeopix

The McAbee Fossil Beds.

504 posts in this topic

I like this one. In the background is an external wing shell from grasshopper, while on top is another little stupid ichneumon. They seem to get everywhere.

John

Good to see you back John, nice specimens. What is the status of the site now, do they have it roped off with signs up all over the place saying "no collecting"?

I, and a lot of other people, have signed a non-disclosure agreement with the government.

A process has begun.

I let some information out before I had signed that document and was given a "hand-slap."

The bureaucrats want me to act like a bureaucrat, the scientists expect me to act like a scientists, and I refuse to act either way. I miss Dave and going through his basement collection has been a very emotional and difficult time. I am in discussion with TRU to have a public donation of Dave's basement collection of the significant specimens. He had some beauties. The really good museum quality common specimens I have given back to Linda to keep them in the family. Some of his collection I will be putting on EBay to help Linda out.

Apparently there are other people trawling this and other sites to make sure everyone is playing by the non-disclosure rules.

I am hoping to be open next season. That's about all I can say for now. Sorry.

However, here are a few more of this year's beauties!

John

Beetles are nice too!

Not exactly from Liverpool!

John

Beetles are nice too!

Not exactly from Liverpool!

John

"I love them yeah, yeah,yeah!"

I just thought that all those people who love our little feathered friends would like this pic. This is the wing that will be donated to TRU along with its counterpart. Both pieces are already in the TRU collection.

John

Bah, secrecy!.. legal restrictions and all... Scary to think who trolls this site, gov't or otherwise - better watch what we say, Big Brother is watching! ;) Oh well, hope you can open next year.

Nice beetles.. I found one very similar (same?) the first time I went up there, then promptly lost it before coming down. It's probably still buried under the bulldozed loose stuff. (I think I told that story on here somewhere)

Edited by Wrangellian

I think I just found it today!!!

I didn't :P:)

It's really a pitty, Eric :(

Fabulous bugs, jbs B)

Edited by astron

that bird wing is first class

Well you found one very similar to it, which is almost as good ;) (to me)

I like this one: what do you think their discussion is? "Those are my wings!" "Bug off! They're mine fool!" "Oh yeah, well what you gonna do about it bug eyes?"

Oh to be a fly on the wall!!!

I love this guy. When I looked at this guy's eyes under the microscope I actually saw the hexagonal pattern that makes up the eyes. When I change my macro lens to fit onto my scope, I'll show you what a wonderful preservation job was done on his eyes. Start drooling!

John

Thanks to Paleopix, Pleecan, and Piranha, I have been given better directions about phtographing the specimens from McAbee. Below are two experiments on the same insect, a Dinokanga hillsi, the large scorpion fly. The two front wings are showing while one of the smaller rear wings is under the left forewing. Nice bugs to find. Since they range from 3 to 6 cm it is always a good day when one of these makes it into your haul for the day.

Now to get those eyes photographed for you.

John

Edited by jbswake

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get proper focus on my original crane fly eyes, but I did manage to get these.

This is from another crane fly, but you can see the pattern on the eyes.

John

Butt, butt, butt, wait a minute!

This is the head of a hymopteran that I found this summer.

This is a coleopteran head from this summer too:

John

This is a coleopteran head from this summer too:

John

Nice photos, The Scorpion fly is amazing. Waiting for the eyes! David

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get proper focus on my original crane fly eyes, but I did manage to get these.

This is from another crane fly, but you can see the pattern on the eyes.

John

Nice photos, The Scorpion fly is amazing. Waiting for the eyes! David

I have to rework my original crane fly, but a few posts back I have a picture of another set of cranefly eyes that show the same pattern:

John

Found this mooneye at McABee last year. Unfortunately the eye looks a bit baleful but it is pristine.post-7652-0-69865600-1327700329_thumb.jpg

Found this mooneye at McABee last year. Unfortunately the eye looks a bit baleful but it is pristine.post-7652-0-69865600-1327700329_thumb.jp

Beautiful fish!

Thanks for posting that!

Regards,

It is not common to find complete fish. Nearly all are Eohiodon roseii. Only 3 individual samples of other species have been discovered. It is really common to find fish bits. Everyone who is up there for an hour finds at least one piece.

John

This is the eosalmo I found a few summers ago. It is in the Thompson Rivers University collection, but I still have not received any creidt for it, which I think is a small, but important point.

This is the second, but most complete one to be found in BC. It is also the largest one found at 17 and a bit" or 47.5cm.

This one did not get away!

John

This is the eosalmo I found a few summers ago. It is in the Thompson Rivers University collection, but I still have not received any creidt for it, which I think is a small, but important point.

This is the second, but most complete one to be found in BC. It is also the largest one found at 17 and a bit" or 47.5cm.

This one did not get away!

John

A amazing size. The fins and spine are so well defined. Kamloops Lake? David