glacialerratic

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

Wow! That Beech leaf!!!

Excellent thread, amazing fossils!

Thanks to all, esp. jbswake, for sharing!

#22 Shamalama

Shamalama

Member of the Month 01/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Awards

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Dave. I never had a chance to collect there but I have some fossils in my collection that I've gathered over the years.

Alder with Metasequoia
Attached File  alder with meta.jpg   210.62KB   7 downloads

Alder cone
Attached File  alderconeclup.jpg   195.34KB   10 downloads

Catkins from an unknown tree
Attached File  catkins.jpg   154.14KB   5 downloads

Eohidion rosei
Attached File  fishclup.jpg   207.83KB   15 downloads

Ginko dissecta
Attached File  ginko.jpg   174.6KB   2 downloads

Unknown leaf
Attached File  leaf 3.jpg   218.76KB   19 downloads

Frond from a White Cedar
Attached File  whitecedar.jpg   173.64KB   7 downloads
Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemah...o.blogspot.com/

#23 Ludwigia

Ludwigia

MOTM Jan. 2011; VFOTM 10/11; IPFOTM 03/12; 2013 IPFOTY

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Awards

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Thanks very much to everybody involved for this wonderful thread in memory of someone obviously very special which I've just noticed today.
This is all new to me but I'm enjoying it very much.

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

#24 palaeopix

palaeopix

MOTM Dec. 2010; IPFOTM 04/10; IPFOTM 01/11; IPFOTM 04/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Now were starting to see some great collections!

Thanks Scott and Dave!

Holy Cow, John, that Beech leaf is gigantic! I wish I could find something like that in the Allenby Formation. Thank you again for posting your amazing photos of the McAbee outcrop, fossils and of course Dave Langevin!

Keep the photos and stories coming!!!!!

Dan

#25 grampa dino

grampa dino

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm getting to the point that I don't like logging on to the interweb any more.
I don't like like to find out that some one else that made mark in my life is no longer here
It has being a while since I was out at McAbee with the Alberta Paloeontological Society
some years ago
I even meet and talk with Dave and I have may fossil find from McAbee
Now they have a very special meaning to me

#26 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

Dan,

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Dave. I never had a chance to collect there but I have some fossils in my collection that I've gathered over the years.

Alder with Metasequoia
Attached File  alder with meta.jpg   210.62KB   7 downloads

Alder cone
Attached File  alderconeclup.jpg   195.34KB   10 downloads

Catkins from an unknown tree
Attached File  catkins.jpg   154.14KB   5 downloads

Eohidion rosei
Attached File  fishclup.jpg   207.83KB   15 downloads

Ginko dissecta
Attached File  ginko.jpg   174.6KB   2 downloads

Unknown leaf
Attached File  leaf 3.jpg   218.76KB   19 downloads

Frond from a White Cedar
Attached File  whitecedar.jpg   173.64KB   7 downloads

Your ctakin is from the birch (betula) and your unknown leaf is a sassafras. I can't tell what is on the upper left side though. If it looks like scales up close then it is a partial cone, if up close it has fine veination then it's probably a flower (Dillhoffia cachensis).
"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

#27 Shamalama

Shamalama

Member of the Month 01/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Awards

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Thanks, JBS! I'll see if I can get a clearer picture of the blob on the sassafrass leaf.
Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemah...o.blogspot.com/

#28 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

Finally got the web site updated:
www.dll-fossils.com/
I know it is the McAbee website, but it's my project and am proud of what I've got done.

For those of you who want to know, Dave's wife is Linda. The address is his and wife's initial followed by their last name's initial. It used to be McAbee foosils, but Dave forgot to pay the bill one month and he got a very nice email asking him if he wanted to buy the domain bame back for only $10,000 US!

#29 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

Wow, is that an example of "finders keepers, losers weepers"? Doesnt give me much hope for the human race, or the 'system'. Not sure which... Thanks for providing the link. I'll add to that the Paleocollaborator site for anyone who's interested in the McAbee fossils, though it doesn't seem to be updated regularly or responsive to submissions: http://www.evolvinge...rator/index.php
Anyway, here's a few of my specimens.. I just scanned them - not the best photo method I realize but it's what I have the time and money for!

Attached File  Mcabee-Sassafras.jpg   416.77KB   2 downloads
Sassafras

Attached File  Mcabee-Plecia.jpg   415.92KB   17 downloads
Plecia sp.

Attached File  Mcabee-insecteggs.jpg   303.21KB   20 downloads
Insect eggs?

Edited by Wrangellian, 18 April 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#30 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:41 AM

By the way, can anyone tell me the name of that leaf the insect eggs are on?

Attached File  Mcabee-conifer.jpg   314.73KB   14 downloads
Is this one Chamaecyparis sp? (conifer).. with Metasequoia. I like these multispecies assemblages.

Attached File  Mcabee-catkin.jpg   496.5KB   11 downloads
Catkin

Anecdote: The first time I went up there, the first insect I found was a kind of beetle with a long carapace. Between finding it and packing up I managed to lose it, and I desperately tried to find it again before we left but to no avail. I still kick myself over that absentmindedness. But I have not seen any similar beetles from that site since.. I wonder if anyone has found any since then? (maybe that very same specimen?? I hope so)

#31 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

The insect eggs are on an elm (Ulmus okanaganensis) and that is chamaecyparis. When they are not really clear it is difficult to tell the chama from the thuja or thujopsis. But I always look for the dot on the thuja scales and they have a really cute shape when you find individual scales. My tell tale id for the ulmus is how the veins come off the centre and then what kind of point they come to on the outside edge. The elm have this sort of rounded point. Cratageus and the others have a more triangular point. And beech have gentle dips leading from one vein edge to the next.
There have been lots of beetles found. When I get the chance I will post some of the cute ones. The largest one I found was 3cm, but not complete. Dave has found a stag beetle that was complete. I have posted that picture somewhere on here. I also put a picture of a beetle under the photograph section in microscope trials. This is another project I have.

#32 Guest_N.AL.hunter_*

Guest_N.AL.hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just looked at this thread for the first time.... I had read about this site and about the government wanting it. I am sorry to hear about the owners passing, and I hope it will remain in the private hands of the family. The insect and plant specimens are really out-of-this-world!! My only wish is that is wasn't so far away!! Thanks

#33 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thanks jbs.. too many things to remember in ID'ing! I have so much trouble with photographing - nothing looks as good as it does to the naked eye.. I'd like to get ahold of a camera lucida setup with a binoc. microscope so I can make detailed drawings of leaves and such. One of these days.. after I win the lottery maybe.

N.AL Hunter: I dont know about that, Last I heard, the gov't DIDN'T really want the site.. it's a number of individuals and the Paleo organizations that have been trying for years to convince the gov't to protect the site from exploitation, but havent managed to convince them that it's worth doing. I'm on the fence about that, myself - on the one hand I recognize the importance of such sites to science and the need to protect from exploitation, but on the other hand everybody benefits from responsible amateur collecting, and places (like Burgess Shale) can become 'overprotected' and the more common fossils that arent needed by science/museums/etc are left there to eventually weather away instead of taking up proud places in people's collections, schools etc. Seems to me Dave's outfit is striking a reasonable balance between the two demands.

Edited by Wrangellian, 18 April 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#34 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Cool specimens Eric!

That Plecia is very nice and is in an orientation (side view) you don't see very often!

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Dan

#35 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

The insect eggs are on an elm (Ulmus okanaganensis) and that is chamaecyparis. When they are not really clear it is difficult to tell the chama from the thuja or thujopsis. But I always look for the dot on the thuja scales and they have a really cute shape when you find individual scales. My tell tale id for the ulmus is how the veins come off the centre and then what kind of point they come to on the outside edge. The elm have this sort of rounded point. Cratageus and the others have a more triangular point. And beech have gentle dips leading from one vein edge to the next.
There have been lots of beetles found. When I get the chance I will post some of the cute ones. The largest one I found was 3cm, but not complete. Dave has found a stag beetle that was complete. I have posted that picture somewhere on here. I also put a picture of a beetle under the photograph section in microscope trials. This is another project I have.

Very cool beetle, John!

Can't wait to see what other goodies you have.

You should post that beetle from the Microscope thread here too!!!!!

Oh and thanks for clarifying the Chamaecyparis ID!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix, 18 April 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#36 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

And now for a little more exotic! How about a few spiders. These I found in the summer of 2007. Needless to say they are will be in the TRU collection. At present they are at SFU with Bruce Archibald. Once they have been studied, they will return to Kamloops.

#37 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

And now for a little more exotic! How about a few spiders. These I found in the summer of 2007. Needless to say they are will be in the TRU collection. At present they are at SFU with Bruce Archibald. Once they have been studied, they will return to Kamloops.

Wow,

very nice especially the second one with the colour patterns on the legs!

Dan

#38 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

But I digress. Back to the beetles. Here are some from 2006. Each is unique in its own sweet way. 153 has great texture to be almost 3d. 155 has some great lines as it's almost translucent. 158 has great antenna and if you look closely at the tail, the tip of its wings are still showing. 160 has great texture.

#39 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:27 PM

But I digress. Back to the beetles. Here are some from 2006. Each is unique in its own sweet way. 153 has great texture to be almost 3d. 155 has some great lines as it's almost translucent. 158 has great antenna and if you look closely at the tail, the tip of its wings are still showing. 160 has great texture.

Great Stuff John!

Keep them coming!!

Number 155 is exceptional!!!

Dan

#40 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

Another two from my 2006 collection.
216 217 is one of my favourites. It's an ant but has no wings! It's only about a cm across but if it was fully extended would be about 1.2cm.
250 is one of my many multi insect plates. There is a plecia on the left and a delicate tipula on the bottom right.
You can tell my cataloguing system: MB for McAbee, I for insects (plants have a P here, birds have a V, and fish have an F here), 06 for the year, and the last 3 numbers are for the specimen number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users