487 replies to this topic

#461 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I would like to thank Taleo for his very kind offer of donation of the insect. And it got me thinking. That's when my wife makes a bee-line for the door!

I wonder how many people on the Forum have or know of someone who has collected at McAbee ever and would be willing to share them to see if there are other such gems out there. People could get a rudimentary id of their specimens and science may be able to have some unique items for study.

Also, since I am working on the book, I thought it would be a great idea to include people's personal memories of Dave. I'd like the world to know what a great guy he was and that it's not just me saying so.

What do you think? Any takers on either issue?

John

"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

#462 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

HA - usually doesn't help when I get thinking either...

I have a small McAbee collection but it doesn't seem like I have anything rare, I would be willing to contribute if I did.

I wish I had met Dave. My uncle did, of course, to get us into the site in the early days. I only seem to recall his observation that Dave said 'groovy' a lot, is this correct? :P

#463 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

Dave always said that: when things worked out, in describing a fossil, or when he was enjoying himself. Cool was another often used word.

#464 palaeopix

palaeopix

MOTM Dec. 2010; IPFOTM 04/10; IPFOTM 01/11; IPFOTM 04/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Jeez a lot has happened since I started this thread!  Twenty seven pages and growing larger every day!  :)

I have a ton of reading to catch up on!

Anyway, I thought I'd pop by and say hello, since I've been missing in action for a while!

I recently (last weekend) acquired two new McAbee beetles from Robert and will be posting them shortly, in hopes of getting some sort of ID.  I hope John is up to the task!

As a side note I also recently (about two months ago) collected a pretty cool hopper from the Allenby Formation down near Princeton, so watch for that on my Allenby Formation thread.

See you all soon.  :D

#465 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

OK here are those two beetles I mentioned in my last post.

As I stated in that post, these were acquired from Robert Drachuk (former co-lease holder at McAbbe).  Robert had these at the Vernon Rock and Gem show last weekend in Winfield.  And I nearly missed getting them because Robert had them hidden away under one of his tables!

Attached File  2013_0113.jpg   931.29KB   27 downloads     This one is 9mm long and covered with tiny granules.

Attached File  2013_0114.jpg   967.2KB   13 downloads     This one is 11mm long and has ridges on its elytra.

If anyone (jbswake, Mr_ed or AgrilusHunter) knows what these are I'd be grateful for an ID!

Dan  :D

#466 AgrilusHunter

AgrilusHunter

MOTM 02/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi Dan,

Woah! Nice beetles! The second one is a Carabidae. The first one I need to think on a bit ...

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-- Terry Pratchett

#467 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Maybe the first one is a buprestidae?

Lovely beetles!

#468 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

I start tomorrow! I will begin at TRU to sign the contract and waiver. I am so excited. I get to go back to McAbee. Although it will be the most eastern exposures, I get to visit the other woman again.

#469 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi Dan,

Woah! Nice beetles! The second one is a Carabidae. The first one I need to think on a bit ...

Thanks for the ID AgrilusHunter!

I was pretty excited to be able to get my hands on them!

Let me know what you come up with for the other one.

Dan. :)

#470 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I start tomorrow! I will begin at TRU to sign the contract and waiver. I am so excited. I get to go back to McAbee. Although it will be the most eastern exposures, I get to visit the other woman again.

That's great news John! I'm so excited for you!

Keep us informed of how everything works out!

And thank you for your ID suggestion!

Dan. :)

#471 AgrilusHunter

AgrilusHunter

MOTM 02/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hi Dan,

Your beetle fossils really are very nice! I got some time last night to ponder over them and I think I have some good identifications for you. I'll start with the Carabidae as that was the easiest. It is in the subfamily Harpalidae, tribe Harpalini. I've compared it to a modern Harpaline from Canada.

Attached File  Harpalini.jpg   176.29KB   4 downloads

Your other specimen was more difficult as I couldn't see antennae or legs. Still, I'm pretty confident in an identification down to subfamily. It is a Tenebrionidae (darkling beetles), subfamily Lagriinae (long-jointed darkling beetles) and most likely in the tribe Lagriini. I've compared it to a modern species of Lagriini from the U.S.

Attached File  Lagriini.jpg   149.19KB   7 downloads

It is clear that both of these specimens split internally, the second specimen especially. Do you have both halves of these?

Hope this helps and once again great beetles!

Edited by AgrilusHunter, 01 August 2013 - 11:35 AM.

• TMNH finds this informative
"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-- Terry Pratchett

#472 AgrilusHunter

AgrilusHunter

MOTM 02/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Huzzah! Way to go John! I'm super happy for you!

I'm also. :envy:

-- Terry Pratchett

#473 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Glad to hear that, John.

Good to see you back, Dan - nice beetles. I swear that 2nd one looks like an 'exploded' version of one I found up there on my 1st of 2 trips (1993) and promptly lost before leaving the site! Boy was a disappointed in myself then.

#474 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hi Dan,

Your beetle fossil really are very nice! I got some time last night to ponder over them and I think I have some good identifications for you. I'll start with the Carabidae as that was the easiest. It is in the subfamily Harpalidae, tribe Harpalini. I've compared it to a modern Harpaline from Canada.

attachicon.gifHarpalini.jpg

Your other specimen was more difficult as I couldn't see antennae or legs. Still, I'm pretty confident in an identification down to subfamily. It is a Tenebrionidae (darkling beetles), subfamily Lagriinae (long-jointed darkling beetles) and most likely in the tribe Lagriini. I've compared it to a modern species of Lagriini from the U.S.

attachicon.gifLagriini.jpg

It is clear that both of these specimens split internally, the second specimen especially. Do you have both halves of these?

Hope this helps and once again great beetles!

Thanks for the IDs AgrilusHunter!  Unfortunately I do not have the other halves of these specimens.

Dan

#475 palaeopix

palaeopix

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Awards

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Glad to hear that, John.

Good to see you back, Dan - nice beetles. I swear that 2nd one looks like an 'exploded' version of one I found up there on my 1st of 2 trips (1993) and promptly lost before leaving the site! Boy was a disappointed in myself then.

Thank you Eric!

I bet it was a disappointment losing that specimen!  I've had that happen a few times too!  :)

Dan

#476 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

In this case especially - I think it's possible given the early date that I was the first to find a specimen of that species, if only I had gotten it home and in front of the experts' eyes.

#477 carla370

carla370

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I stumbled upon this thread and forum today. I've recently been thinking about downsizing my collection of rocks fossils and mineral specimens.
Although I live in Wyoming now, it was about 20 years ago that I started a rockhound club in Logan Lake. Dave Langevin was always so accomodating in allowing our group to have a field trip to the McAbee beds. He will be remembered very fondly for all that he has done. Dave will be missed, and I am sad to hear of his passing. Belated condolences to his wife, Linda.

Carla Edwards
Vancouver > Logan Lake > Wyoming.

#478 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

It has been a long time since I posted here. I will have an update about the situation soon, just waiting for clearance. In the meantime, I have been busy prepping more fossils from the site and last night at our local paleo meeting I gave a short presentation on several of the small spiders have have uncovered using my USB microscope. The largest was 6mm. I took 8 with me, but still have a few more in reserve. I am holding back. I have also shown several people the Harvestman I uncovered months ago. As far as I know it is the first and only from the site. I plan on taking a few more pictures and do even more prepping.

And my vehicle has been updated. Last Boxing Day my PALAEO mobile (1998 4-Runner) was stolen from my relative's driveway while visiting them for Christmas in Prince George. I received a call from the RCMP on Dec 30th to tell me they had found my vehicle on fire in downtown Prince George. It was burnt to a shell. My wonderful wife helped me find a suitable replacement vehicle. We could not find another 4-Runner in decent enough shape that was also a standard. So we changed our approach and found a 2003 Tacoma that was standard transmission. As soon as I have played with one of the pictures to get it down to size, I will post it. However, my private plates were not recovered with the original vehicle which means that they could not re-issue me the same plates. So I applied for PALEO (the NA spelling rather than the British) and was issued them after much confusion. So my PALAEO Mobile has morphed into the PALEO Mobile.

Regards:

John

#479 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

This is my new PALEO Mobile. It is a lot of fun to drive on the roads around here where we find our fossils.

Attached Files

#480 FossilDAWG

FossilDAWG

Member of the Month May 2011

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Nice truck.

I wonder what has happened in BC since I left, more than 20 years ago.  When I was in Vancouver to give a seminar about 10 years ago my rental car was broken into and my laptop was stolen.  Four years ago I was back to visit family, and went collecting with Paleopix.  We parked the truck in the middle of nowhere, way up in the mountains, after driving for hours on back roads without seeing another vehicle.  Nevertheless he made me lock the GPS and any other "portable" items out of sight, as he said it was highly likely that, should anybody come by the truck while we were away they would likely help themselves to any items left in view.  Back in the '80s we almost never heard of car break-ins, and didn't worry much if we forgot to lock the door to the house when we left for work.  Times change, I guess.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users