547 replies to this topic

#461 taj

taj

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'm not an expert in wikipedia , but from what I read , it might be much more difficult to amend existing topics than to create your own , since the owner of the item keep "master " editing rights.
Perhaps create an entry for your friend and explain there its past activities with MacAbee?

#462 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

I wonder who created the original McAbee page, is there a way to find out?

#463 taj

taj

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Well, there's always the "view history " option on each page .
And then you can contact the guys through links provided .
Item created by some Eocene guy.
Constantly edited by one Kevmin
on the ground that material added is unsupported by references .....

Edited by taj, 29 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#464 fossisle

fossisle

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Graham Beard also has an extensive collection in Qualicum Beach.
Cephalopods rule!!

#465 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

There is enough fossils in the McAbee beds for every fossil hunter in the world to have a collection for the next thousand years.. what are they trying to prove?
And that is just the McAbee beds.. there are fossils almost everywhere.. The government should encourage people to hunt them and donate them rather than spending tax payers money so scientists can preserve them in the ground.
Ed

#466 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I checked in Wikipedia again and Eocene guy has deleted my latest edit so the page is back to the original form with no mention of Dave. A little disappointing, but was to be expected I guess. This person really does not want to allow any mention of Dave's stewardship of the site. The person also does not know or want any mention made that the original Zugg 1 claim which we operated under The McAbee Fossil Beds name was only a 500m post to post claim within a designation of several thousand hectares. All references in the article of new specimens come from our one little exposure. There are 11 other exposures attributed to the same ancient lake contained in the heritage designation. However, our little McAbee general use named site has become synonomous with the whole area. It makes it sound like the whole area was under our control. C'est la vie!
"Blimey! Would you look at the size of that!"
McAbee is the other woman!

#467 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Keep playing with it, John, try different words and more facts like the one you stated above. Maybe they'll learn something in the process of deleting it. (Or maybe not, I am a dreamer) Maybe you need some references about Dave, then they can't use that excuse. Would TFF count as a reference?

#468 taj

taj

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Again, citations and references needed.....
I suggest using the first document cited in Wikipedia which contains references to Dave?

Edited by taj, 30 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#469 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I wonder if there even is one.. I did a search for "Dave Langevin" and it came up with some hockey player. No 'disambiguation' option. Guess we need to make a page about him.

#470 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

It is done! I gave my presentation last night, Feb 7, 2013, to a packed room (I am happy to say) at Thompson Rivers University, Kamloops, BC, on The McAbee Story. I took in a display as you can see from the pictures, and actually managed to speak for close to 2 hours, which amazed me! I also made 2 new shadow box displays for the presentation and will be offering to TRU in an effort to help secure funding for McAbee's future direction. I believe Dave would have been proud. In front of the podium is my 13 fish display case that I made a while ago. To see the fish in it you will have to go to an earlier post as they did not show up that well in this photo. Now I take the same display to TRU's Family Science Night in 2 weeks time, the Kamloops Mining Day in March, and have been asked to place a display of plants during the Botany Conference at the same university in June. It was a fun night after I got over my initial jitters. I am desperate to stay involved with McAbee regardless of what direction the government may have for it and I think this was another positive step in that direction. Definitely relieved it is over, but I want to do it again as I got a good ego stroke from it.
I now have some days to play with more fossils so I will have some more pics of my more interesting discoveries.
John

Attached Files

Edited by jbswake, 08 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#471 AgrilusHunter

AgrilusHunter

MOTM 02/13

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Awards

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Congrats John! It sounds like your presentation was a huge success. :thumbsu:

Two hours you, you must be exhausted!

Edited by AgrilusHunter, 08 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."
-- Terry Pratchett

#472 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,982 posts

Awards

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Positive steps; that's the ticket :)
Congratulations, John!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

#473 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Good for you John.. way to go.. I can hardly wait to see your interesting new discoveries..
All the best
Ed

#474 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

That sounds like good news.
I know I'd be drooling all over those cases if I were there...

#475 jbswake

jbswake

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have been very quiet on here for the last couple of months as I have had to focus on work work and look after my health following another round of meningitis. It appears I suffer from a rare diagnosis known as Mollaret's Meningitis; a recurring aseptic viral meningitis caused by a virus hiding in my central nervous system. Lucky me! Today, April 5, marks the 2 year 'anniversary' of Dave's death. My condolences to the family. I am still working on having Dave's name associated with the new Heritage Site in a positive light. I have run into a few stumbling blocks, but there are processes going on behind the scenes which I am relieved about. I still insist that Dave was the best thing that happened to this site and its fossils. He happily turned over significant specimens, opened up access, insured the educational values were taken care of, and gave the site an added layer of security by his presence on the hill. There have been reports of trespassing onto the site in the past weeks and government is looking into these. We even had people trespassing onto the site when we were there. One fellow actually tried to trespass onto the far end of the site when Dave and I were there hunting! In the past month I have learned the difference between a geographical landmark/location and a geological formation. Much to my disappointment, I can not have the site of the Zugg 1 claim named in Dave's honour. However, things are afoot that will see him recognized it's just that I can not do it as I do not have the proper credentials. However, I am still inching my way forward to see credit given where it's due. There is still no word from the powers that be about the future land use policy of the area, but fingers remained crossed and I continue to keep in touch. Myself and our local paleo society, The Thompson Nicola Paleo Society, are going to begin the long process of cataloguing the rest of the specimens, insuring all the previously catalogued specimens done by Ken Klein are stored properly in foam and boxes, and adding all the specimens to a digital database. I reckon it will take at least 3 years to complete!

But today is a day to remember Dave. He was a good friend. He was a loving husband and father to his 3 children. He was a gentle soul that avoided conflict, but did not let himself be bullied. He loved the site and its fossils. And he loved the hunt and anticipation it brought whether he was looking for fossils or minerals. I miss him. We all should.

John

#476 Fossildude19

Fossildude19

MOTM - 06/11 - Veteran Shale Splitter

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • Location:Connecticut, United States. - Lower Jurassic, - Shuttle Meadow & East Berlin FMs

Awards

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

John,

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you are still plugging away at this.

I'm very sorry, however, to hear of your illness. Hang in there.

Thanks also for the touching and eloquent rememberance of Dave.

Makes me sorry that I never got to know him. May he rest in peace.

Regards,

Tim

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir  
          ~    ~    ~    ~      ><))))(*>

#477 Mr_ed

Mr_ed

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi John;

Sorry to hear about your health problem. I wondered why you haven't posted lately. I hope you can get a handle on the problem and get back at the treasures of life such as fossiling.

With regard to McAbee, I drove in there one day and there are no locked gates and no signs other than the welcome sign and the one that says guided tours only. There were two guys up in the pit digging that day and three more vehicles drove in and out while I was there which was about a half an hour.

Frankly I don't believe the government has their heart in this because there is no protection there without sinage and the tresspass act doesn't apply without sinage. The site doesn't fit the definition of a Heritage site under the heritage act. I really don't think anyone could be convicted of anything the way it stands except maybee you and I because they know that we know that we shouldn't be there. That is a sad situation when the general public can go there in ignorange and collect fossils but the people that know it is a heritage site can not in good conscience go there. Unfortunately this follows a pattern of government in BC.

All the best

Ed

#478 gwestbrook

gwestbrook

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks Dan for starting the thread. It was sad news to hear about Dave. My uncle in Kamloops met him and arranged for us to go up there to collect in 1992 before all the extensive excavation. That's me and my uncle in the photo.
Dan, I thought it would be fun to see if you could find the same vantage point my pic was taken from to make an exact comparison! But these are good nonetheless.
I'll try to find some of my specimens to post but I have a feeling mine won't hold a candle to some of the ones we'll be seeing or already see, never mind whether I can get good pics of them.
I like the insects and Gingkos too.

How far are the McAbee fossil beds from Vancouver?  

#479 Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

They're a few hours drive, Gary.

Sorry as well to hear about the illness John.

2 years already! Well a lot has happened in 2 years, hasn't it?

#480 Auspex

Auspex

Member of the Month 08/08

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,982 posts

Awards

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

...no signs other than the welcome sign and the one that says guided tours only...

Seems to me that anyone in there who was not with a guided tour had to know they were trespassing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about."
-Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users