Bone From What?

Roz

This bone I found this morning while in south western Arkansas.

The creek is Cretaceous, and the formation is Ozan.

I thought maybe it was a vert of some kind but the shape of

this one, I do not recognize.

Anyone know what it is?

All pics are of the same bone, different angles, so you can

see the whole thing..

post-13-1214191536_thumb.jpg

post-13-1214191550_thumb.jpg

post-13-1214191566_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Guest bmorefossil
This bone I found this morning while in south western Arkansas.

The creek is Cretaceous, and the formation is Ozan.

I thought maybe it was a vert of some kind but the shape of

this one, I do not recognize.

Anyone know what it is?

All pics are of the same bone, different angles, so you can

see the whole thing..

post-13-1214191536_thumb.jpg

post-13-1214191550_thumb.jpg

post-13-1214191566_thumb.jpg

i dont think vert, it kinda looks like the part of the pelvis where the femur would attach or it looks like a part of a skull

Yes, bmorefossil, I think where a femur

would attach looks right to me. Haven't seen

too many pics to compare.

Do you happen to know a site that shows what

bones look like and their position in the animal?

It sure would help a lot to see the general look

when I try to ID.

Welcome to the forum!

Do you happen to know a site that shows what

bones look like and their position in the animal?

It sure would help a lot to see the general look

when I try to ID.

The search phrase will be "osteology". There are books for modern, but "paleoosteology" is a neglected stepchild. Still, general bone relationships can be researched. Good luck!

(Where's Harry when you need him?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The search phrase will be "osteology". There are books for modern, but "paleoosteology" is a neglected stepchild. Still, general bone relationships can be researched. Good luck!

(Where's Harry when you need him?)

Thanks, Auspex

I now have a good place to start. Haven't had too much

luck with the key words I was searching with before.

Welcome to the forum!

Would this be useful?

"Osteology for the Archaeologist: American Mastadon and the Woolly Mammoth; North American Birds: Skulls and Mandibles; North American Birds: Postcranial Skeletons" (Papers of the Peabody Museum) (Paperback)

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087365197...8-1&seller=

I think I'll get one for myself, what with the bird ID stuff.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Looks useful to me, and thanks Auspex.

If you get one, here is a link where they are a little less..

Abe Books

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Roz,

The least expensive ones are the '72 edition; I don't know what, if any, difference there is, but for a couple bucks more, I'd go with the '79 version. (There's a '96, used, that is more than twice the price. Sounds like it's just a new printing though, with no revisions).

It looks like a pelvis to me too, but I can't say with certainty. And I haven't the slightest idea what animal it could be from.

I did get a pretty detailed ID from Earl. It is what's below. Thought you might want to know.

The oddly-textured circular area at the bottom I believe to be the the inside of a mammal cranium (pic 2980),

with a surface that was against the brain (this is the ventral view of the rt. top of the cranium).

The conical shape at the top I take to be the the pedicle (the little pedestal the antler is attached to)

of a male white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus. The bone appears to be the post. half of the rt. frontal

of the skull (the bone that bears the horns of bovids and antlers of cervids). In the third photo (2979), t

he base of the rt. pedicle is at rt., the raggedy edge in the lw. rt. is the suture where the post. frontal meets

the ant. edge of the rt. parietal, and the raggedy lower left edge is part of the mid-line (saggital) suture,

where the two frontals meet in the middle. The little hole in the upper left is the start of the foramen over

the top of the rt. orbit (eye-hole). In the first photo (2976), you can see the hole again, in the top center,

to the upper left of the base of the pedicle. The rt. pedicle points posteriorly and toward the right.

Deer can be found in both late Pleistocene and modern sediment, and look the same.

I don't know if the pics are in the order that I sent them to him.

Here is the position of it, he sent.

post-13-1214570214_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Deer antler attachment point; makes perfect sense!

I am again thankful for the depth and breadth of collective knowledge that is available, free for the asking, to any Forum member. :applause:

Finally! Roz, I've been puzzling over your little piece of bone for a few days. I thought it was a cranial fragment because of the brain case structure, and it seemed so familiar...but I couldn't place it. :wacko: I'll echo Auspex's gratitude...thanks for posting the info.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Would this be useful?

"Osteology for the Archaeologist: American Mastadon and the Woolly Mammoth; North American Birds: Skulls and Mandibles; North American Birds: Postcranial Skeletons" (Papers of the Peabody Museum) (Paperback)

I think I'll get one for myself, what with the bird ID stuff.

My book came today; 2/3rds of it is about bird bones ( :D ), but the balance is just Mastodon & Mammoth. If you are looking for a reference with broader coverage, this ain't it( :( ).

Hey thanks, you are right, for me wouldn't have been general enough, but

good news, that sounds right up your alley...

You saved me some money by posting.. YAY! :)

I do appreciate it...

Welcome to the forum!