Accidental Hunt

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Yeah I really didn't mean to hunt, Caitlin and I were walking the dog at the neighborhood walking track. On the way out I noticed a small man made drainage gutter it extends about 15 feet on one side of a small bridge and 10 on the other. In this drain there are large stones probably from a quarry nearby, theres tons of rocks lining the slopes and evidence of fossils in everyone of them. Most of these are far too large to take home but I'm going to investigate more this evening when the temperture cools down. among these fossil rocks I found my very first Cephalopod fossil, one in GREAT condition... and 2 more on the same rock in rough shape.. all lining up the same way(I know this isn't significant but I heard somewhere that means the ancient currents lined them up that way....I think it's cool :P)...

Just thought I would post on this find. :) If I can find it again in the pile of rocks I'll take a picture!

That is cool; love to see it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Waiting on the wife(and her car) to get home from work, I'm either getting it tonight or tomorrow. I'll take pictures and such for you all.

Guest Nicholas

I rock napped it! I have it here now! It is definitely a Cephalopod species unknown, maybe someone will. about 4 inches are visible and another inch and a half are underneath

Guest Nicholas

Heres the pictures, I'm not sure of the species... I hope someone will know.

Take note that the fossil bends over the rocks edge.

Enjoy. :)

post-163-1214338817_thumb.jpg

post-163-1214338825_thumb.jpg

post-163-1214338832_thumb.jpg

post-163-1214338838_thumb.jpg

post-163-1214338846_thumb.jpg

Uh, are you talking about the feature that looks a little like a vein of quartz?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

yea i think auspex is right, sorry to say it looks like some quartz to me, it was that kid he switched the rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Nicholas

Foiled again, at least I got a slab of Brachs in this trip to make up for it. I suppose this guy will join the garden rocks.