Latest Find

falcondriver

I found some good stuff last weekend in Mansfield TX but this is my favorite.

FD

post-435-1214269529_thumb.jpg

post-435-1214269544_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
I found some good stuff last weekend in Mansfield TX but this is my favorite.

FD

wow sweet whats the size?

Top Drawer! I love teeth in matrix, especially when the matrix is interesting. How did you prep it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Small but I still like it. Also, here is a pic of my first tooth display.

FD

post-435-1214270722_thumb.jpg

post-435-1214270732_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Small but I still like it. Also, here is a pic of my first tooth display.

FD

well size doesnt always matter, its still a great tooth. That is a great display i love the case where did you get it from?

The only prep was let it sit in water for a day and rub it with a tooth brush a couple of times. The display came from Hobby Lobby they were 50% off last week.

Thanks FD

The only prep was let it sit in water for a day and rub it with a tooth brush a couple of times. The display came from Hobby Lobby they were 50% off last week.

Thanks FD

That's gorgeous.

I think your tooth is Cretoxyrhina mantelli, a cool find, especially a perfect one in oyster hash matrix. I must confess to having a few in my collection as well.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Sorry to change the subject. Do you guys ever display shark verts? I have some and have no idea what to do with them.

Thanks for the imput

FD

Sorry to change the subject. Do you guys ever display shark verts? I have some and have no idea what to do with them.

Thanks for the imput

FD

Easy! Send 'em to me! Problem solved.:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That is a great display i love the case where did you get it from?

That is called a Riker Mount. . . a lot of Hobby & Craft stores will carry them (eg Hobby Lobby) however I have also found them in coin shops. In fact there is another item that you can use from a coin shop - the one I frequent has a big bin of plastic coin holders of various sizes (penny, nickle, dime, quarter, half and dollar sizes). They come with lids and generally cost about $.25 each. I find them to be particularily useful for very small fossils. Lables go easily on the sides and since they are clear you can see your specimens without having to open anything.

Roger

Havent had time to clean the other stuff, work keeps getting in my way. :D

FD

post-435-1214345032_thumb.jpg

post-435-1214345065_thumb.jpg

post-435-1214345077_thumb.jpg

Excellent job getting those out! Beautiful teeth and verts too....

Welcome to the forum!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow Falcon!! Great finds and I'll echo someone else in saying I love the tooth left in the matrix.

Falcondriver:

That is a super nice slab of Eagle Ford limestone with the Cretoxyrhina mantelli tooth and the fragments of what appear to be Ostrea and Inoceramus shells. I assume that the limestone is derived from the Kamp Ranch Limestone of the Arcadia Park Formation. I agree with the others that say to maintain the tooth in the matrix. The pertinent features of the tooth are visible and keeping the tooth in the matrix allows association of the shark teeth with other fossils present in the formation. It also makes for a more fascinating and entertaining display piece. I have a number of the teeth free of matrix, but I definitely prefer them in the matrix.

I have attached a photograph of 2 Cretoxyrhina mantelli teeth in association with several Ptychodus anonymus teeth in a slab of Kamp Ranch Limestone from the Arcadia Park Formation in Denton County. There are several of the smaller Ptychodus teeth on the reverse of the slab as well. The primary difference is that the slab (and several others) from Denton County that I collected over 20 years ago contains only shark teeth and shark and fish debris whereas yours has clam shell fragments in addition to the shark teeth.

Regards,

Mike

post-153-1214376697_thumb.jpg

Very nice Mike. You guys are making me want to go dig up some more of the matrix to see if I can find some more teeth.

FD

...I agree with the others that say to maintain the tooth in the matrix. The pertinent features of the tooth are visible and keeping the tooth in the matrix allows association of the shark teeth with other fossils present in the formation. It also makes for a more fascinating and entertaining display piece. I have a number of the teeth free of matrix, but I definitely prefer them in the matrix.

Nice piece! A tooth is a tooth is a tooth; it can be beautifully colored, impressively heafty, shockingly pathological, or all of the above. In matrix, associated with the detritus of its long-gone world, it tells yet a bigger story.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Mike, that is a really nice assemblage you have there. Is it common to find specimens grouped like that at that location?

Mike, that is a really nice assemblage you have there. Is it common to find specimens grouped like that at that location?

N.AL.hunter:

The fossil assemblages are not rare, but it is uncommon to find an assemblage with this many vertebrate specimens on it. By the way, I forgot to provide size data on the teeth. The larger Cretoxyrhina tooth is 44 mm long while the smaller shark tooth is 18 mm long. Typically, the slabs are found with 1 or 2 teeth and considerable clam shell debris. The Kamp Ranch Limestone is typically a detrital limestone with considerable fossil fragments. The limestone is typically flaggy and about 1 foot thick between thick shales.

The quantity of the fossil material in the Kamp Ranch Limestone can range from considerable fossil material to essentially barren. The variability of abundance of fossils in the shales can be considerable as well. The strata in Denton County where this assemblage was found is just above the main flaggy limestone layer and is only 1/4" to 1/2" thick and the exposure is sporadic. The exposures of the thin limestone above the main Kamp Ranch in Denton County have been getting harder and harder to find, probably due to collecting pressure.

In addition to finding specimens with shark teeth and pelecypod debris like falcondriver's, there are some beds just east of Mountain Creek Lake and Joe Pool Lake in far southwestern Dallas County where the shark teeth are found on flag slabs in association with small ammonites (impressions only, sadly). The biggest issue is finding the Kamp Ranch Limestone since it is a 1' thick limestone about 100' below the top of the Eagle Ford group in North Texas.

Apparently, a lot of the more recent collecting has been done in southern Tarrant and Dallas counties where urban expansion has been opening a lot of new exposures of the Eagle Ford strata and probably the Kamp Ranch Limestone as well. Lance Hall, Roz and some other forum members may have found some of the assemblages as well. Personally, I have not had an opportunity in the past several years to collect in these newer exposures.

Regards,

Mike