Help Id This Oligocene Skull From Colorado

artofextinction

I had originally set out on this 1000 mile journey to find Titanotheres fossils.I hear they are rare,so of course i take that as a personal challenge to change that.After two days and no fossils i was feeling defeated when a weathered rib caught my eye in carefully digging this out next came the skull.And the celebration finally all the gas was worth it.The only problem now is i have no idea what this animal is.Any ideas?

Andre LuJan

post-368-1214322265_thumb.jpg

post-368-1214322291_thumb.jpg

post-368-1214322304_thumb.jpg

post-368-1214322317_thumb.jpg

post-368-1214322328_thumb.jpg

ArtofExtinction

looks like an oreodont, possibly a running rhino. we would need close up pictures of the teeth that are very clear in order to make a better identification. also what formation are you in? i am assuming the chadron or brule.

brock

Awesome, well worth the trip!

A skull is one of many fossils I would love to find.

Welcome to the forum!

Andre...

It certainly does LOOK like an oreodont but I'll echo the previous sentiments and ask for a better view of the teeth. Colorado has a number of good sites for mammalian fossils. Can you give us at least a good general idea of where this skull was collected? It will make it a bit easier to pin your fossil down once we've got a better idea of where to start.

Thanks,

Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library