Tooth From Calvert Cliifs Area

obsessed1

I found this tooth last weekend down at the bay. I believe it to be a Hemi symphyseal tooth but can't find a good photo of one anyplace I normally look to identify teeth.

post-281-1214361446_thumb.jpgpost-281-1214361670_thumb.jpg

post-281-1214361455_thumb.jpgpost-281-1214361487_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

i think it is a upper symphyseal cowshark. but you may be right with the hemi symphyseal its just that from all the ones i have seen they are always have a longer tooth part. another idea is it could be an angel shark tooth

Wouldn't a Hemi have at least a hint of serration?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Wouldn't a Hemi have at least a hint of serration?

no on the denotation the lower symphyseal has no serrtions or little cusps only problem is it has a larger tooth part

Guest bmorefossil
no on the denotation the lower symphyseal has no serrtions or little cusps only problem is it has a larger tooth part

ok well i found one that looks like yours, a hemi symphyseal upper and lower and a odd one. i think we have angel shark symphyseal

Here's a shot of my Hemi symphyseal. It doesn't have the groove in the root that yours has.

post-77-1214386742_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Hi!!

i go for a parasimhyseal( upper simphyseal ) cow shark tooth, Notorynchus i think

greet Sean

Guest bmorefossil
Hi!!

i go for a parasimhyseal( upper simphyseal ) cow shark tooth, Notorynchus i think

greet Sean

i just found a picture of a parasimhyseal cow shark and a few things are different, the cow shark tooth is wider and the back of the tooth is flat unlike this tooth, i was thinking either cow shark or angel shark until i saw this picture.

http://www.naturepreserved.com/fossil_shar...m/1538-1539.jpg

i just found a picture of a parasimhyseal cow shark and a few things are different, the cow shark tooth is wider and the back of the tooth is flat unlike this tooth, i was thinking either cow shark or angel shark until i saw this picture.

http://www.naturepreserved.com/fossil_shar...m/1538-1539.jpg

That's a strange tooth. In the first picture it looks like a symphyseal cow shark tooth, but looking at the basal

view (last two pictures) it looks like a symphyseal hemi. I don't think it's an angel shark, but who knows.

Neat find!

Thanks,

Eddie

That's a strange tooth. In the first picture it looks like a symphyseal cow shark tooth, but looking at the basal

view (last two pictures) it looks like a symphyseal hemi. I don't think it's an angel shark, but who knows.

Neat find!

Thanks,

Eddie

On second thought, I would say upper anterior (I guess the correct word is parasymphyseal) cow shark. Root is

definitely a little odd, but might simply be due to erosion.

Thanks,

Eddie

I think I may have your answer. The first photo I posted was a lower hemi symphyseal. I have a modern Hemipristis elongatus jaw and, assuming the fossil versions are similar, I think yours is an upper symphyseal/parasymphyseal. On my jaw, the upper is somewhat smaller than the lower, and the second tooth back in the file is even smaller still. Plus, the root is narrow with a deep groove similar to the one you have pictured. I don't think it's a cow shark, they would have a flat root with no groove. Angel shark teeth look basically the same regardless of jaw positions.

post-77-1214435838_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
I think I may have your answer. The first photo I posted was a lower hemi symphyseal. I have a modern Hemipristis elongatus jaw and, assuming the fossil versions are similar, I think yours is an upper symphyseal/parasymphyseal. On my jaw, the upper is somewhat smaller than the lower, and the second tooth back in the file is even smaller still. Plus, the root is narrow with a deep groove similar to the one you have pictured. I don't think it's a cow shark, they would have a flat root with no groove. Angel shark teeth look basically the same regardless of jaw positions.

yea your right about the angel sharks, i still have a problem because for some reason obsessed's tooth is really small for the size of the root

i just noticed that the groove on the modern tooth is on the back of the tooth where on the fossil tooth it is on the top, deformed tooth? or could this tooth have still been growing

I think you nailed it, good job! It's interesting, I just looked at my hemi jaw, I don't see any symph/parasymph

teeth with such large roots. Also interesting that I've not seen a hemi tooth like that after all the Aurora spoil pile collecting I and my kids have done. That's a great tooth.

Thanks,

Eddie

NICE FIND!!! But i would have to disagree with the Hemi symphseal idea. With the ones that I have from Aurora they have a distinct nutrient groove and look nothing like the one you found. I would have to go out on a limb here and say that it’s either a pathological parasymphseal cow shark or a Megamouth shark. Check out the Megamouth shark on elasmo. Ill post some of my teeth tomorrow when i get home from work.

With the exception of Megachasma comanchensis, which may or may not even be valid, megamouth sharks don't have a nutrient groove like what is shown in the first post. Furthermore, no megamouth teeth are known from the Chesapeake Bay region that I'm aware of. Cow shark teeth will not exhibit any nutrient grooves and the root tapers. It's wider where it meets the enamel than it is at the outside edge. Here's a couple of pics of an upper anterior Hexanchus andersoni.

post-77-1214525657_thumb.jpg

post-77-1214525674_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
NICE FIND!!! But i would have to disagree with the Hemi symphseal idea. With the ones that I have from Aurora they have a distinct nutrient groove and look nothing like the one you found. I would have to go out on a limb here and say that it’s either a pathological parasymphseal cow shark or a Megamouth shark. Check out the Megamouth shark on elasmo. Ill post some of my teeth tomorrow when i get home from work.

brsr its been awhile since we have talked, ill have to check out the megamouth shark tooth. But like northern has said there has never been a know one found in maryland so maybe the first one.

just looked at the picture it looks close