Fish Fossils

Pangea 3D

OK- I just did another 3D laser scan of what I think is a rodent skull. I don't know what species this is, where it came from or even if it could be classified as a "fossil" since it might not be old at all. It does however seem to have been coated in a shellack or varinish by someone who must have had it before I did.

The images you see are computer generated and not the actual physical object. The skull itself can fit in your palm. About 2-3 inches long and 3/4- 1 inch high.

http://www.pangea3d.com/view_video.php?vie...d33c36b1b5fc2cb

Any ideas what it is?

Amazing tech! Future applications should include ID; once the biometrics are digitized, a program to sort by defined criteria should be a snap. Very cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice photos, interesting method of capturing them.

These aren't photos actually but renders of 3D mesh\models captured from 3D laser scan data of the real object.

Here is another 3D scan I have posted on my site.

http://www.pangea3d.com/view_video.php?vie...amp;category=mr

I'm not sure if this is considered a fossil as I'm sure it isn't ancient by any means. What attributes does everyone here feel an object must have in order to be considered a fossil?

I don't want to post junk if it doesn't even fall under the proper classification.

Thanks!

Your imaging technology itself is germane to fossils; I am excited about the possibilities!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Your imaging technology itself is germane to fossils; I am excited about the possibilities!

Thank you. I am excited as well. The potential for science and education is very high with the technology. My current issue now is acquiring more samples to scan. I don't have a large collection and can hardly walk into a museum and setup the scanner. So networking with others who are willing to partner up with me may be the next step.

I will keep posting my scans as I complete them. Thanks for the feedback. It helps to know if fossil experts and enthusiasts are intrested.

• 2 weeks later...

Another 3D laser scan of a fossil. This time an arrowhead of unknown origin.

arrowheadsheet.jpg

Here is another scan of some sort of spiral fossil. I'm not sure what this is so if anyone has some input here it would be appretiated.

I have also peaked some intrest on another forum concerning scanning petroglyphs. It is possible I may go to into the field and scan at a site to capture these glyphs. However I haven't tested the scanner in sunlight so I am excited if the project comes to fruition.

spiralsheet.jpg

It never crossed my mind that the equipment could be mobile; this opens a new realm of possibilities. I hope it works out!

It never crossed my mind that the equipment could be mobile; this opens a new realm of possibilities. I hope it works out!

Indeed it does open up the the scope of what can be done with the scanner. I am working on a mobile power source to use with the scanner and am hoping all will work out.

Beyond the glyphs are there any other ideas of how the technology could be used in the field?

Beyond the glyphs are there any other ideas of how the technology could be used in the field?

I think archaeologists would like to be able to document, in 3-D, certain associations of small objects before excavation. The "with what" is often more important than the "what" in archaeology, and 2-D photos can't show some of the in-situ intricacies (and drawings are time consuming).

It is an imprint of an ammonite. I don't know what kind.

Thanks MikeD. I will have to look into ammonites now so I understand what I have.

I think archaeologists would like to be able to document, in 3-D, certain associations of small objects before excavation. The "with what" is often more important than the "what" in archaeology, and 2-D photos can't show some of the in-situ intricacies (and drawings are time consuming).

The "with what" mindset is intresting. Documentation is certainly important.

One of the goals with the petroglyphs, would be to measure erosion or destruction of the glyphs as well as attempting to figure which are fake and which are real.

3D Scanning before excavation is something I hadn't thought of. Good thinking!

Perhaps scanning while an excavation is in progress so you have a record of the is steps along the way?

Thanks for your input!

-Alex