Two Jaws I Need I.d. For

Guest bmorefossil

Are there tooth sockets that don't show in the pix? I'm not sure that I'd necessarily call them jaws, unless there's something I'm not seeing. The first one in particular looks like a Tilly bone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Are there tooth sockets that don't show in the pix? I'm not sure that I'd necessarily call them jaws, unless there's something I'm not seeing. The first one in particular looks like a Tilly bone.

the first one has holes where teeth would be, you can see them on the first picture on the bottom of the jaw. For the second one there is this layered sectiond where the bone gets really dense like it is used to crush things with, there are also a few circular holes in the same area. if you want i could take more pictures.

I don't think more pictures would help me :P (I'm certainly no expert; just trying to make sense of the fossils), but keep it in mind for folks (who actually know something about fish jaws). There has to be someone out there who can tell you what they need to see in order to ID them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
I don't think more pictures would help me :P (I'm certainly no expert; just trying to make sense of the fossils), but keep it in mind for folks (who actually know something about fish jaws). There has to be someone out there who can tell you what they need to see in order to ID them.

yea its one thing i need real help on is the fish fossils, i find so much fish stuff that i have never seen before that its hard to know what they are. the first one has the structure and everything of a jaw, you do see what im seeing right? lol

Guest Nicholas

After Bmore explaining it to me in chat, I do now see the jaw aspect. I'm not sure of the fish or not.