Oregon Oligocene Flora Slabs

piranha

Oh well, it would have been super cool if it was a gastropod, but the fruit along with the leaves are cool enough! Those other fruiting bodies are pretty neat also. I do see lots of different seeds and other fruiting bodies in the Allenby material and they are always cool to find!

Dan

thanks Scott! Have you any favorite books/literature sources that you recommend that focus on the Oregon Flora?

:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

thanks Scott! Have you any favorite books/literature sources that you recommend that focus on the Oregon Flora?

:)

Super question Carmine! A treasure trove of information about the entire range (Paleozoic-Cenozoic) of Oregon's rich diversity of fossil faunas and floras can be discovered within the covers of the following books. There is also an upcoming edition of "The Geology of Oregon" by the Orrs' which will go to publication by the end of this year. My copy is already reserved!

Oregon Fossils - Elizabeth L. Orr & William N. Orr

2009 - Oregon State University Press - Second Edition

Oregon Fossils - Elizabeth L. Orr & William N. Orr

1999 - Kendall Hunt Publishing Company - First Edition

The recent edition is as low as $16 (Amazon) and the first edition goes for around $7 brand new. The first edition is essentially the same text in a larger format with 80+ additional pages. Another excellent resource that is available for free online are decades of Ore Bin pdf's. These are from the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI). Just google search with "Ore Bin" plus other relevant search terms and you will usually have good success.

Thanks again for the great question! :)

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Floristic fossil flourishes to brighten the day! :D

post-4301-0-26444300-1306961708_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-41068900-1306961714_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-46760600-1306961720_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-82046700-1306961728_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-01208400-1306961736_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-44522500-1306961745_thumb.jpg

Fantastic flora's continuation :wub: :wub: :wub:

A great pleasure to admire them...

And who knows what is coming up :wacko:

Many thanks for sharing these beauties, Scott ;):)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Fantastic flora's continuation :wub: :wub: :wub:

A great pleasure to admire them...

And who knows what is coming up :wacko:

Many thanks for sharing these beauties, Scott ;):)

Thanks Astrinos! :D

Here is the latest find from this weekend from the Oligocene forest of Oregon. A lovely split pair leaf that just so happens to have approximately twenty insect eggs in full 3D relief on each aspect of the leaf. This is the first example of fossil insect eggs that I have discovered and they are remarkably detailed and preserved as a nice bonus. Perhaps this great fossil will have a chance at winning the June FOTM as a rare insect-plant association fossil that tells an interesting story.

This one is a keeper! Finally insects- Enjoy! :P:)

post-4301-0-82442500-1307393334_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-80150600-1307393352_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-64597900-1307393344_thumb.jpg

Shape, arrangement, colors, textures, forms...this one has it all! :wub:

I suggest that the "eggs' might actually be leaf galls (which, like eggs, would have contained insect larvae).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here is the latest find from this weekend from the Oligocene forest of Oregon. A lovely split pair leaf that just so happens to have approximately twenty insect eggs in full 3D relief on each aspect of the leaf. This is the first example of fossil insect eggs that I have discovered and they are remarkably detailed and preserved as a nice bonus. Perhaps this great fossil will have a chance at winning the June FOTM as a rare insect-plant association fossil that tells an interesting story.

This one is a keeper! Finally insects- Enjoy! :P:)

astron, on 01 June 2011 - 10:24 PM, said:And who knows what is coming up :wacko:

Incredible finds, Scott.:wub: :wub: :wub::Bananasaur: :Bananasaur: :Bananasaur: . Congratulations :goodjob:

Thanks for giving me the satisfaction of my above prediction's confirmation :fistbump:

The Fossil Forum ranges

from tremendous T-rex

to the really amazing

Oregon's (or Piranha's) insect eggs.

:) :) :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Shape, arrangement, colors, textures, forms...this one has it all! :wub:

I suggest that the "eggs' might actually be leaf galls (which, like eggs, would have contained insect larvae).

That appears to be a spot-on ID and even more of a fascinating tale of a 31 Mya insect-plant symbiotic relationship. The galls are the result of a hormone trigger causing plant tissue build-up in response to insect or mite feeding or as the direct result of egg laying on or within the plant tissues. The plants are not harmed in the process and the intruding insects are delighted with free room and board and a maternity ward! Just another fine example of why this is the Finest Fossil Forum in the world.

Thanks Chas- that makes my day! :jig:

that's a real cornucopia for sure, do they receive any treatment/coating once they have dried completely?

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Incredible finds, Scott.:wub: :wub: :wub::Bananasaur: :Bananasaur: :Bananasaur: . Congratulations :goodjob:

Thanks for giving me the satisfaction of my above prediction's confirmation :fistbump:

Haha.... Deer Astrinos - always happy to comply. :blink:

Find Fantastic Fossils From Fortuitous Forecasts! :D

PS: Carmine- never shellac or varnish on these... :o

Nice find Scott! There may be small embryos inside the eggs :)

Peter

Thanks Peter!

As always thinking of the micro possibilities and you'd be the one to find them too! :pic:

Haha.... Deer Astrinos - always happy to comply. :blink:

Find Fantastic Fossils From Fortuitous Forecasts! :D

PS: Carmine- never shellac or varnish on these... :o

Great!

Hopefully, I'll do the same on your prediction some time :blink::D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Wow!... This must be the topic you wrote me about. Absolutely amazing specimens! The colouration on some of them is nothing less than spectacular, and the detail is very good on most of them. You're a very lucky person to be able to collect fossils not only in some really nice Jurassic sequences, but also have these amazing younger strata at your disposal! I'm jealous now, haha!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Wow!... This must be the topic you wrote me about. Absolutely amazing specimens! The colouration on some of them is nothing less than spectacular, and the detail is very good on most of them. You're a very lucky person to be able to collect fossils not only in some really nice Jurassic sequences, but also have these amazing younger strata at your disposal! I'm jealous now, haha!

Thank you Tim, coming from you this is a compliment of the highest order. The Jurassic floras still patiently await my arrival. With less than a handful present in Oregon it will require a well-planned and skillful expedition to extract those enigmatic plants. Later this year and with a bit of good luck a thread on Mesozoic Oregon Flora will be posted. As you know there are Cretaceous floras here as well so those will naturally be included. Now that the proverbial cat is out of the bag I have attached a preview of two Cretaceous plants, a Ginkgo and Dicksonia fern. These are from south-west Curry county and each measure approximately 3cm in length.

More to follow soon... stay tuned! :)

post-4301-0-61695000-1307670312_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-06351400-1307670320_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the brief excursion into the Mesozoic floras of Oregon. They are extremely rare by comparison so will definitely put in the extra effort to showcase those beauties here at the forum later this year. Attached are a few additional Oligocene plants including a lovely cross-section cone of Exbucklandia oregonensis found just this morning. It almost has a flower-like appearance.

This is the first one I have ever found so today is a great day! :)

post-4301-0-11995400-1307741668_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-72549400-1307741675_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-51463600-1307741682_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-89315800-1307741689_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-76014100-1307741696_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-53132100-1307741703_thumb.jpg

wow, Ginkgo and Dicksonia, beautiful, I'm glad you threw 'em in, can't wait to see more Cretaceous and Mesozoic!B)

Congratulations on the exbucklandia as well!!!:jig:

With so many first rate specimens Scott... you can open up your own museum :D:)

A lot of the true beauty of the speciemens will surface even more when viewed under modest magnification.

Peter

With so many first rate specimens Scott... you can open up your own museum :D:)

Thanks for the nice compliment Peter! That is almost correct- for now they can be enjoyed here at the forum and soon enough all of the best fossils will be gifted to the UO-Condon Collection. In any event, the point is that they should be appreciated by as many people as possible.

That makes it all worth while! :)

Thanks for the nice compliment Peter! That is almost correct- for now they can be enjoyed here at the forum and soon enough all of the best fossils will be gifted to the UO-Condon Collection. In any event, the point is that they should be appreciated by as many people as possible.

That makes it all worth while! :)

That is a wonder gesture Scott.... gifting to UO-Condon Collection! :D

Peter

Yesterday I collected a relatively new site of the Little Butte Volcanic Series that is approximately 27 Mya placing it at the Oligocene-Miocene boundary. This locality yields a remarkably distinct assemblage of flora compared with the early Oligocene plants posted so far. The finds of the day are rather unusual and quite a departure from the typical leaves that are expected. First up is my first ever flower collected anywhere in Oregon and it is amazing. Hydrangea sp. is recorded at a handful of horizons across the state. To double the pleasure an incredible part-counterpart of a Juglans sp.(walnut) fossil discovery made a great day even greater. I will research this thoroughly next week but suffice it to say that outside of the Clarno Nut Beds these are very rarely found in Oregon.

Enjoy everyone! :D

post-4301-0-46688900-1308431703_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-19483800-1308431763_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-54478900-1308431769_thumb.jpg

Brilliant discoveries! Congratulations :goodjob:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!