' Monstrously Big Ant' Fossil Found In Wyoming

Gizmo

In the words of Yogi Bear - "keep away from my pick-u-nick basket!" That's a serious ant!

OK, everybody relax; it's a fossil! :P

>Direct link to article<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW.... what a monstrous fossil insect! Bruce Archibald certainly is making the rounds. Nothing like this found at McAbee I bet!

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

You're going to give me nightmares I've been fighting off the early spring ants in my house all week... I just imagined them that size. An ant that big doesn't sneak through cracks it uses the front door!

Awesome news though, I'll be reading that pdf shortly.

Aha! From the Farson Fish beds in Wyoming. Another "Off Limits" collecting site for him.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

cool ant... cool story, but Shamalama... did I miss something? I didn't see any reference to the Farson fish beds in the story. Green River Fm of Wyoming, yes, but not Farson.

In the Link that Auspex posted, it only mentions the Green River formation. But the link that Pirahna posted is to a .pdf file of the actual paper. Within it says that the fossil came from the Farson Fish beds. Page three, lower left under © Locality and Age.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter

Only 2 inches long... that is a baby. Here is a picture from a documentary I saw as a child:

post-101-0-61389800-1304623844_thumb.jpg

In the Link that Auspex posted, it only mentions the Green River formation. But the link that Pirahna posted is to a .pdf file of the actual paper. Within it says that the fossil came from the Farson Fish beds. Page three, lower left under © Locality and Age.

Thanks, I totally missed the pdf link. I like that they used a hummingbird for scale in the actual paper.... good stuff.

Thanks, I totally missed the pdf link. I like that they used a hummingbird for scale in the actual paper.... good stuff.

And the way the pest control companies linked their ads.

Steve

Only 2 inches long... that is a baby. Here is a picture from a documentary I saw as a child:

SHOOT THE ANTENNAE!!!! :o

Be true to the reality you create.

You're going to give me nightmares I've been fighting off the early spring ants in my house all week... I just imagined them that size. An ant that big doesn't sneak through cracks it uses the front door!

You ain't the only one...stinkbugs are enough of a problem.

That is one heck of an ant!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! Very interesting! :D Huge ant!

Edited by Odinofthenorth