Examining Skeletons

Cris

Yeah, yeah... I know, it sounds sick.. But I've actually found this to be one of the best ways to ID my finds.... Anson and I found a dead deer on the river one time (just bones, don't worry) and I probably identified half of the things I had in the "can't ID" box. Not only did I know what they were from, but I knew the exact place on the deer that the bone was located... Same with the teeth.. I knew about my deer teeth, but just looking at the skull told me which teeth went where.

That same day we found a pig skeleton and learned a bit from it.... It might sound a bit nasty to you... But it's just bones... The same kinds of things you guys spend so much time at the river to (minus a few thousand years). It's actually very educational.. I'd imagine it would work for...Just about anything..... You might figure out what a few things in your collection is if you give it a try next time you cross over a pile of bones.

Any of you other guys do this? or am I just weird?

not only do i look at bones i find while i am out i collect alot of them. i have learned soooo much from modern skeletons that i have now started a small collection. i am now getting into cleaning my own skeletons of animals that i find. this gets a little gross when they are "ripe" but in the end it is worth it. i use dermestid beetles to clean the meat off teh bones. if you pull the skeleton out at the right time most of the bones are still attached with certilage and the meat is gone. so far i have cleaned a red slider turtle, a jackson chameleon, a baby racoon, a box turtle and a few bird skulls. unfortunately my colony got too hot and they all dies. i need to spend $20 and get a new batch off ebay. here is a pic of the jackson skull. the dermestids did all the work. i only soaked it in ammonia to get the oil out of the bones.

2007092319534305.JPG

there are also a few really good webs sites that sell already prepared skeletons. boneclones, the bone room, and skulls unlimited are three of the bigger ones.

brock

Thats a cool skull i have a couple cow skulls and a deer skull and a pig skull oh and a possum skull but it got crushed on accident. :Cave Man:

Yeah, yeah... I know, it sounds sick.. But I've actually found this to be one of the best ways to ID my finds.... Anson and I found a dead deer on the river one time (just bones, don't worry) and I probably identified half of the things I had in the "can't ID" box. Not only did I know what they were from, but I knew the exact place on the deer that the bone was located... Same with the teeth.. I knew about my deer teeth, but just looking at the skull told me which teeth went where.

That same day we found a pig skeleton and learned a bit from it.... It might sound a bit nasty to you... But it's just bones... The same kinds of things you guys spend so much time at the river to (minus a few thousand years). It's actually very educational.. I'd imagine it would work for...Just about anything..... You might figure out what a few things in your collection is if you give it a try next time you cross over a pile of bones.

Any of you other guys do this? or am I just weird?

You're so weird, Cris . . . so gross . . . and so . . . . so . . . icky!

Just kidding. I don't think that there are too many of us here grossed out by studying modern bones. That is an excellent way to learn, and it is used in university comparative anatomy classes everywhere. Now you have a comparative collection of bones from a "typical" artiodactyl.

What can be gross is the offensive smell of roadkill. I had to pass up the undamaged skull of a badger in Western Nebraska because there was too much flesh remaining, and I was unwilling to put it in the automobile with us. (My wife, a biology teacher, might've tolerated it, but I couldn't.) As a carnivore collector, I would have liked to have that badger skull. I did pick up a clean skunk skull on that trip.

Something else that's gross is to come upon the recently-butchered carcass of a hog or a deer on the bottom of a river when scuba-diving. I hate that.

----------Harry Pristis :blink:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I'm a hunter and study the anatomy of the critters I shoot and butcher. I have lots of skulls on display at the house including deer, hog, javelina, coyote, bobcat, badger, fox, nilgai, pronghorn, sheep, etc. Once I became a fossil hunter they became excellent resources for comparative anatomy. I'm trying to get my more well heeled buddies to bring me back some cape buffalo and elephant teeth from Africa next time they go.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I find skulls some times while walking in the woods. And if they are in good shape I'll bring them home. This one is of some type of canine that I stained. It looks cool!!

post-23-1190839105_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Archived