s0ledad

New To Collecting In New Mexico

s0ledad

Hey everyone! I am new to collecting here in the land of enchantment and was wondering if anyone had any suggestion/advice/favorite spots they could turn me onto. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million

bear-dog
:) First ,welcome from Florida.Xonenine has given you useful info.Research it first as some of the entries may not be acessable as this id dated info,but still useful. :D

piranha

Here is a great resource with dozens of sites sorted by fossil type, county and GPS coordinates . It is always best to research in advance the current status of any locality. Try networking with a rock and mineral club. There are always fossil hunters among the ranks happy to have you on board. Then you will discover which sites are most productive and worth your time and effort.

SITES LINK

CLUBS LINK

Geocacher

Greetings from Albuquerque, I joined today. Thank you for asking this question for me and to the others for the answers. :)

Edited by Geocacher

Guest N.AL.hunter

I once found some nice fossils in the NW area the NM. If my memory is correct, it was called Lake Valley? Really hard to find on maps, but do not get it confused with the other Lake Valley down south in NM (Yes, there were two of them on the maps). If you lived in south NM, I could help you out a lot more (lived in El Paso, TX). Also, in the Sangra de Cristo mountains around Philmont Scout Ranch, I once found fossil leaves, but that was during a backpacking trip and the location is unknown to me. So, see if you find any literature talking about those areas.

Xiphactinus

I once found some nice fossils in the NW area the NM. If my memory is correct, it was called Lake Valley? Really hard to find on maps, but do not get it confused with the other Lake Valley down south in NM (Yes, there were two of them on the maps). If you lived in south NM, I could help you out a lot more (lived in El Paso, TX). Also, in the Sangra de Cristo mountains around Philmont Scout Ranch, I once found fossil leaves, but that was during a backpacking trip and the location is unknown to me. So, see if you find any literature talking about those areas.

At Philmont last year I saw Cretaceous leaves, lots of pet wood and in a different area Inoceremus clams. Looked like a great area to hunt if you didn't have to carry everything you found for several days across many miles!

Geocacher

I went to the Jemez Mountains today for my first find. I found clams and plant parts, also what I think is a oyster shell. Kind of funny someone getting excited about shellfish when they are allergic to them. The area was suggested by one of our forum members.

post-5706-0-15553400-1305507540_thumb.jpg

MikeD

The shell fragment with the pointy end is a Myalina sp. clam. The thinner part of the shell often gets broken away. Also you have a few different kinds of brachiopods, crinoid stems (not a plant, an echinoderm), and some bryozoans (the lacy looking ones). Looks Pennsylvanian in age.

Geocacher

Thank you MikeD, I appreciate the resources. Maybe I might hit one of these this weekend.

mossedmoon

Here's a link I found while looking for info - www.fossilsites.com/STATES/NM.HTM. Please pm me if anyone in Albuquerque wants to hook up for some hunting. If it's one thing this state has besides dust and more dust, it's rock!

radlinsky
Hello all, I am in the Santa Fe area for the week and I too am looking for fossil sites. SOledad, did you find any cool places?

MikeD, I'm on my way to Jemez, hopefully I'll find some cool specimens!

Piranha, your "SITES" link seems to have expired. Mossedmoon, your link seems to have expired, too. Below is a data-dense looking resource that perhaps one or both of you were referring to, but I'm not sure how old the info is and I'd prefer not to go on wild goose chases.

Has anyone reading this had success looking for fossils in NM? If so, please share!!

Roadrunner
Hello all, I am in the Santa Fe area for the week and I too am looking for fossil sites. SOledad, did you find any cool places?
MikeD, I'm on my way to Jemez, hopefully I'll find some cool specimens!
Piranha, your "SITES" link seems to have expired. Mossedmoon, your link seems to have expired, too. Below is a data-dense looking resource that perhaps one or both of you were referring to, but I'm not sure how old the info is and I'd prefer not to go on wild goose chases.
Has anyone reading this had success looking for fossils in NM? If so, please share!!
I have read it, but haven't used it much. Living north of Albuquerque in the northern foothills of the Sandias - I've had some luck finding fossils and had the Natural History Museum people out here once because we were having trouble identifying it any other way.
Lately, I haven't been on this website much - as I'm a teacher and things are pretty hectic right now. However, my husband and I will be making trips out to the Rio Puerco area sometime...,maybe during spring break. You can join us then, if you like!

joe.bishop

Hey everyone! I am new to collecting here in the land of enchantment and was wondering if anyone had any suggestion/advice/favorite spots they could turn me onto. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million

Hello;

I'm from around Farmington area; I've been hunting petrified wood from around the four corners area now for over 3o years and have found many wonderful types of petrified logs from this area. Also go south and find lots of nice geodes from the Deming area. Good luck and happy rock hunting. If you like you can find photos of petrified wood found in this area on my face book page under Joe Bishop Bloomfield NM. it is open for anyone