Bone Identifications

inkvine

Hey guys,

I am trying to learn more about identifying bones of large animals that died out at the end of the ice age, such as mammoths and mastodons. Can you recommend any references that might be helpful? I have found a few picture books, but nothing written by someone who could be considered an expert...

Hi Inkvine,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? Any other interests apart from bone? Post some pictures for members to see and hopefully ID, until you get more info.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

This is buried in another thread:

Would this be useful?

"Osteology for the Archaeologist: American Mastadon and the Woolly Mammoth; North American Birds: Skulls and Mandibles; North American Birds: Postcranial Skeletons" (Papers of the Peabody Museum) (Paperback)

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087365197...8-1&seller=

I think I'll get one for myself, what with the bird ID stuff.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is buried in another thread:

Would this be useful?

"Osteology for the Archaeologist: American Mastadon and the Woolly Mammoth; North American Birds: Skulls and Mandibles; North American Birds: Postcranial Skeletons" (Papers of the Peabody Museum) (Paperback)

I think I'll get one for myself, what with the bird ID stuff.

My book came today; 2/3rds of it is about bird bones ( :D ), but the balance is just Mastodon & Mammoth. If you are looking for a reference with broader coverage, this ain't it( :( ).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

auspex i cant get the amazon link to work :(:(

Looks like it might have lost something in the quoting; see if this is any better:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...e+archaeologist

Hi Inkvine,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? Any other interests apart from bone? Post some pictures for members to see and hopefully ID, until you get more info.

Oregon...thanks for the help everyone

Archived