First Fossil Hunt In Our New Neighborhood

rockdigger

We moved to Texas (DFW) just over two years ago from CA. After joining this forum and getting such a welcome reception from other members, I was inspired to finally take my kids and venture out into our neighborhood and check out a few spots that looked like good candidates for fossil hunting. We were pleasantly surprised to find some within walking distance of our house.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on identifying these. I took a shot at them, but won't be surprised if I'm way off :)

Also, I'm very new to posting to a forum, so any tips on posting pics, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vertebra?

gallery_557_181_3315.jpg

Devil's Toenail Oyster shell (Gryphaea)?

gallery_557_181_23440.jpg

gallery_557_181_7626.jpg

gallery_557_181_5104.jpg

Coprolites?

gallery_557_181_3516.jpg

Petrified Wood? (or just a rock?)

gallery_557_181_19078.jpg

Hi Rockdigger,

I would say 2,3 and 4 Gryphaea, yes. 5, Looks like Coprolites. 6, Possibly wood, could be fibrous Calcite, cant really tell.

Only advice I would give is to brighten your pic's with your software.

Here's your poss' coprolites, brightened.

post-45-1214587433_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Right in the neighborhood. I am somewhat jealous!

Having literally collected a ton of wood in Texas (see my avatar), I would say wood for number 6.

I second the advice on brightening your pictures (don't forget the contrast). Better lighting can make a difference also. There is a thread somewhere in this forum on photographing fossils.

I uploaded my pictures instead of inserting them (as in Bill's post above). I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference, but you can see all of the pictures in a smaller space and then click on them to zoom in. And you can have a higher resolution picture in there.

Archived