Sign in to follow this  
Dmich1x

Any Sites Near Billings Montana?

Dmich1x

Im not looking for anything specific. I would just like to go out and find some interesting things. Would be cool to find some Indian artifacts, any kind of fossil or some cool rocks. Thanks!

chele

Im not looking for anything specific. I would just like to go out and find some interesting things. Would be cool to find some Indian artifacts, any kind of fossil or some cool rocks. Thanks!

Hello, just head down to the Yellowstone river and pick around. You will be surprised at what you can find. I have found coral, plant fossils and ammonites just to name a few.

Good luck,

Chele

Dmich1x

Hello, just head down to the Yellowstone river and pick around. You will be surprised at what you can find. I have found coral, plant fossils and ammonites just to name a few.

Good luck,

Chele

Sweet! thanks for the advice. Now, if we could just get some nice weather!

chele

Sweet! thanks for the advice. Now, if we could just get some nice weather!

You are very welcome. I know the weather is terrible, hopefully it will pass soon. I live a little further up north 30 miles out of glendive so our weather is pretty much the same. The good is that all this rain will wash the banks more and the Yellowstone will give up a few more of her secrets! :P

Good luck,

Chele

fossilman01

All kinds of hot spots around the Billings area!!!! I use to live in Roundup and hunted fossils most everyday......Some of the roadcuts between Roundup and Billings are full of plant fossils.

Best advice is to buy this book. "Rockhound's Guide to Montana" by Robert Feldman.........................It cost about $12.00 and is well worth the price!!!!!!!!! I'm on my second book,wore the first one out!!

Maps,locations and tips on all fossil and rock areas to hunt!

You will be surprised on whats around the Billings area................My wife and I are headed to Roundup in a few weeks(visiting family),I'm going towards Melstone area to hunt ammonites and baculites for a day,than the Yellowstone River for a day hunting agates and petwood............I always find enough stuff to pay for my trip and add to my collection.......

Good luck and happy hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by fossilman01

fossilman01

You are very welcome. I know the weather is terrible, hopefully it will pass soon. I live a little further up north 30 miles out of glendive so our weather is pretty much the same. The good is that all this rain will wash the banks more and the Yellowstone will give up a few more of her secrets! tongue.gif

Good luck,

Chele

I hunt fossils south of Glendive,its a hot spot..............Usually the Cedar Creek area and further east on the Big Drop Reservoir area...............Tons of fossils!!! Lots of rattlers too-be careful!

fossilman01

Mussellshell area is a great place to hunt arrowheads and the such...Just find somebody that will let you on their land to hunt....I have a nice little collection from that area.............

fossilman01

Here are some finds off the "Yellowstone" in the Billings area........All keepers and I like them...LOL

The Yellowstone was around during the volcanoe activities of the past,the best agate finds in the world are on that river!!!

My fav. piece-its petwood and very lite,might even be bone......(Time right hand corner is opalized)

pics2382.jpg

Petwood and agate incorperated together....

pics237.jpg

Petrified wood

pics2292.jpg

Agates...

pics223.jpg

pics222.jpg

318550_2040040361126_1247792478_31786764_1123802307_n2.jpg

pics219.jpg

Edited by fossilman01