Gordon Hubbell's Shark Tooth Collection

Sharktoothguy11222

Here is the link to some pictures of Gordon Hubbell's collection. He is what got me started collecting shark teeth. I never met him in person, but I do remember the first time I ever saw him(on the July 1, 1998), of Shark Week's "Prehistoric Sharks".

He has some nice associated sets of teeth. He has some nice BV Benedeni's too!!! and of particular interest, a LARGE meg from Japan. I'm like "Do those even exist(RARE). AWESOME COLLECTION!! Enjoy!

And, as a sidenote, it was the same shark week where I first heard that accursed "Meow Mix Jingle". I still can't get the damned thing out of my head after 10 years.

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pa...rks_Page_15.htm

Some of my fav's from his collection!

post-282-1214666198_thumb.jpgpost-282-1214666205_thumb.jpgpost-282-1214666210_thumb.jpg

post-282-1214666217_thumb.jpgpost-282-1214666222_thumb.jpgpost-282-1214666228_thumb.jpg

post-282-1214666234_thumb.jpg

:shark::shark::shark::shark::shark::shark:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I'm stunned; no way to get my mind around a collection like that!

Drop that URL into the website forum, for future reference.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had the mop and pail ready just in case :D . A rerun of that episode is what got me into shark teeth as well, although I've had a fascination with fossils since kindergarden age. The stuff he has is out of this world. There are other posting on the forum with more of Dr. Hubbell's collection as well

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Great post with the link to Hubbell's collection. I'd seen some of the pics previously but never all in one place like the website. Beyond words!! :P:P

Great post with the link to Hubbell's collection. I'd seen some of the pics previously but never all in one place like the website. Beyond words!! :P:P

No problem. The collection is absolutely breathtaking. Maybe we could take a field trip there :P Of course, Northern Sharks will probably bring pants with BIG pockets :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Those whorl-toothed shark (Helicoprion bessonowi) teeth-things are one of the most bizarre fossils I've ever seen. I've found them intriguing ever since seeing one (I suppose it was likely a cast) at the Florida Museum of Natural History a while back.

A useful new emoticon:

post-423-1214672110.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I knew this link some time ago and it is impressive. Without wanting to offend anyone, is the best collection of shark's fossils that has ever met. Many unique specimens in this collection. I love the peruvian white's shark specimen. I don't understand as there isn't own website showing in detail something like that.

Guest bmorefossil

well i got to meet one of Mr. Hubbell's friends today, i have met before but never knew he was a friend of Gordon. He told me they use to fossil togeather and he sold Gordon a few megs over the years including a 5 1/4 inch meg from maryland!!!!!!!!!

A useful new emoticon:

Oh yeah. That one's definitely a keeper. It would come in handy a lot

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Fortunately for shark paleontologists, Hubbel is leaving his collection with the University of Florida... there are some scarily incredible (and important!) specimens in his collection that now await description. For example, there's the Carcharodon sp. skeleton that will more or less 'break' the "Carcharodon megalodon" advocates. I guess that it is already at UF, because a grad student there had a poster at SVP last year on that specimen... and Bob Purdy had a poster right next to him, trying to debunk the Isurus-Carcharodon anagenetic transition with his same old stale arguments.

Bobby

I knew this link some time ago and it is impressive. Without wanting to offend anyone, is the best collection of shark's fossils that has ever met. Many unique specimens in this collection. I love the peruvian white's shark specimen. I don't understand as there isn't own website showing in detail something like that.

Anyone thinking his collection is better would not be playing with a full deck! Some unbelievable

specimens from an unbelievable number of locations!

Great post with some great pictures!

Thanks,

Eddie

Sure would like to get the exact sizes of those verts in the first picture. Trying to determine the size of shark that belong to the verts I have.

FD