Petrified Fruit

donapplianceman

I just recently aquired what looks like a slice of petrified peach with the pit still in the center. Could there really be such a thing?

You most likely have some sort of concretion, a picture would be helpful.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

no, cuz whoever sliced it woulda took the pit out first

Buwahahaha,,too funny !!!!

I called it a slice, but it really looks like the two sides are broken away. I will try to get a pic in soon.

Ok help me out here. First, What exactly is a concretion? The specimen I have is mult-colored and multi-surfaced. The core is dark brown and has the texture of a pit. It is approximately 1" in diameter. The middle is a brownish orange and looks grainey but is smooth. It'sabout 11/2" thick from core to surface. then we have the suface: which is dark brown, about 2 millimeters thick and is smooth. I'm working on gatting the pics in. I have them on my desk top, just don't know how to get them to this site.

Ok help me out here. First, What exactly is a concretion? The specimen I have is mult-colored and multi-surfaced. The core is dark brown and has the texture of a pit. It is approximately 1" in diameter. The middle is a brownish orange and looks grainey but is smooth. It'sabout 11/2" thick from core to surface. then we have the suface: which is dark brown, about 2 millimeters thick and is smooth. I'm working on gatting the pics in. I have them on my desk top, just don't know how to get them to this site.

When you click to attach files, (right below where you type in a post), you can open

your desktop pics also...

A concretion is just a mass, usually of sediment...

Welcome to the forum!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but did donappliancemen find out what his piece of petrified fruit was, as it could not be a peach. It could only be something that looks like a peach. I have a number of petrified fruit that I would like to identify as well. But I am not sure how to post a pic here. I have had no success in down loading digital pic's from a expensive digital camera and success from a cheep mobile phone (cell phone) when down loading my profile pic, how do you put a pic here. Thank you.

It screams concretion to me. I don't think fruit can become petrified like wood can, since it's basically soft tissue.

One thing is for sure: Don't try to eat it. :P

At donapplianceman, you should do some studies in geology. It will help you to understand some of the geology terms or get yourself a dictionary of geological terms. It will save you from embarrassment. My brother found something similer to what you describe, but it is not a concretion or a peach, it is a petrified mangrove seed which is about 150 to 250 million years old. I hope this helps you, all the best.

At Carcharodontosaurus, you should be a comedian, hahaha, very funny. Have a look at my profile pic it is the head of a dinosaur that has been mummified and petrified, soft tissue. Robert T Bakker (palaeontologist) calls the hadrosaur that was found, "mummified dinosaur", but I call them mummified petrofied fossils, as they are made from silicon, micro-quauts, chert :- Insoluble residue. Cryptocrystalline varieties of silica regardless of colour, composed mainly of petrographically microscopic chalcendony and so on. Soft tissue can be petrified under the right conditions eg:- As the bodies, animals and fruit in a peat bog are mummified and preserved. Put them in the right conditions and they will petrify; Soft tissue. I hope this helps you out Carcharodontosaurus.

I'm kinda at a loss here to know how any of us can make helpful comments in the absence of pictures to look at.

Fruits can certainly fossilize if the conditions are right but to retain a 3-D form they need to have a leathery skin or - as dinolol says - to be seed-like. Many seeds are fruits in the biological sense. I posted a few hard-skinned fruits when I first joined the forum, together with a couple of relatively soft-tissue items:

http://www.thefossil...ls-from-borneo/

I also recently acquired what was claimed to be an indeterminate fossil fruit from Morocco which (if it is a fruit) is more in the realms of soft tissue. I don't have decent pics immediately available but I'll shoot some tonight and you can see see what you think. I'm unconvinced, but I don't know what it is.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

...Have a look at my profile pic it is the head of a dinosaur that has been mummified and petrified, soft tissue...

I hope you get picture posting figured out soon; I'd like a better look at your avatar specimen.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am sorry guys but I went to help (adding your images) and when I went through the process, it said I did not have permission to create an album.

Post the pictures directly to the discussion topic; albums are for archiving, and do not host discussions.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am not familiar with this tool bar, it does not have attachments which will take me to my pic's. So how do you post a pic here. This is very frustrating, is that why donapplianceman did not put up a pic, because he did not know how to do it. I am a very determine person and with a little help I will get pic's on this post. I have taught myself how to use a computer and only been doing it for short time. So be tolerant guys, I am not here to string you along. And if all fails I am on facebook. So, if you contact me by e-mail, I will give you my details.

To attach an image, click on the 'More Reply Options' where you post. (Goodness knows why that isn't just an option from the start....)

Context is critical.

post-8997-0-20434800-1343226141_thumb.jpg I found these three specimens in three different locations. North east Queensland, southwest Queesland and the mid north east coast of New South Wales. The one in the middle looked like it had a very soft texture, as it sagged over the seed inside it and that seed must have been one big seed. I would love to cut it in half, just to see what is inside of it. I will take more pic of the one in the middle so you can see what I mean.

I'm sorry, but I'm really not seeing petrified seeds here... or even fossils. I'm seeing vaguely (large) seed-shaped rocks with some surface patterns and erosion. Am I missing something?

So as not to corrupt this thread, I am posting the fossil fruit I mentioned earlier in this thread as a separate post under the title "Fossil Fruit?" in the ID section.

[Addition: apologies, I take some of that back. I inadvertently loaded page 1 of this thread and was commenting on the pics at the bottom of that page, not the pics here on page 2 which are much more interesting!]

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

post-8997-0-53493500-1343231975_thumb.jpgpost-8997-0-45485200-1343232038_thumb.jpgpost-8997-0-13247600-1343232090_thumb.jpgpost-8997-0-53001000-1343232179_thumb.jpg Can anyone put a name to this seed. The two bigger pic's, are about it's actual size in reality.

Archived