Meg Teeth Lodged In Bone

mlynch

I came across these a couple days ago... pretty cool. (maybe old on this site but i am new) Is this common? I would love to find something like that for my collection... i have a couple beauts with broken tips maybe i will make a recreation. Posing? Maybe but it really puts these teeth in perspective!

Is it just me or is the tooth in the first one in an odd place to have happened during an actual attack. What is around the tooth where it meets w/ the vert?

****EDIT**** Apparently these suckers are not real :-\

Here is the website... they dont make it very obvious they are fake. Pretty misleading http://www.thesharkconnection.com/shark_tooth_sales.htm

dsc02835.jpg

dsc02836.jpg

dsc02832.jpg

dsc02833.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

you do know its fake right? They glue a broken megalodon to the top of a vert, it makes a nice display piece but nothing more. The stuff where they meet is nothing more than glue lol

Hi mlynch,

They look faked to me. If you have, or can get hold of an UV light, most glues, I believe, fluoresce.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Well i did not know... the site made no mention of fakes, In fact i think they were for sale w/out any price. I would think they would need or should disclose that. Although i am not very suprised i am a little disapointed. I had my doubts about the tooth placement not very realistic.

Thanks guys

Guest bmorefossil

yes you never see shark marks on top of a vert becuase when they are in the whale they are stacked its impossible!!!! not what you usually see where the shark attacks and creates bite marks on the side of verts.

You can get Bison verts with arrowheads "stuck" in them, too. I thing of the whole category as "legitimate display fakes".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You can see all kinds of displays like this at any given time on ebay. Like Bmore said, the tooth wouldn't be lodged in the end of a vertebra, but the ends are flat so it stands nice for display.

post-77-1214747948_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

You can see all kinds of displays like this at any given time on ebay. Like Bmore said, the tooth wouldn't be lodged in the end of a vertebra, but the ends are flat so it stands nice for display.

If it came to a vote, I'd say that your vert with the big gouge is the real deal. Very cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

yes you never see shark marks on top of a vert becuase when they are in the whale they are stacked its impossible!!!! not what you usually see where the shark attacks and creates bite marks on the side of verts.

Though I think the vert' in question is faked, once the vert's are disarticulated it would be possible.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Fossil CSI:

Tooth no longer locked in the bone but a dolphin vertebra with a bitemark, nonetheless.

Looks like the culprit was not a Meg, but a Mako.

Found both items on the same day in Langenboom/Mill, The Netherlands.

post-456-1214750140_thumb.jpg post-456-1214750153_thumb.jpg post-456-1214750168_thumb.jpg post-456-1214750178_thumb.jpg

Sure looks like a match made in heaven ..... B)

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Not quite a meg. but the closest we have out here where I live.

post-40-1214753058_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Fossil CSI:

Tooth no longer locked in the bone but a dolphin vertebra with a bitemark, nonetheless.

Looks like the culprit was not a Meg, but a Mako.

Found both items on the same day in Langenboom/Mill, The Netherlands.

Sure looks like a match made in heaven ..... B)

Wonderful find & spectacular display piece!

post-423-1214759845.gif

Not quite a meg. but the closest we have out here where I live.

NEAT! Any idea what kind of bone?

It's part of a small X-fish. Here is a photo of the entire find. It was a "pile" of bones found in one spot. There were a few x-fish parts, some cimolichthys fish parts, a squalicorax tooth, and the cretoxyrhina tooth. On the other side of this bone, you can see the base of the tooth, and another tooth broken off in the bone. They are both broken off flush with the bone surface. It's kind of fun to imagine what happened here.

I like to think the x-fish ate the cimolichthys, then a Cretoxyrhina was attracted to the kill and killed the X-fish, and finally a squalicorax showed up and chewed on the scraps losing a tooth.

post-40-1214760482_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

The second one is actually by far the worse fake of the two - for two reasons. 1); it appears to be a petrosal, or inner ear bone. The surface that the tooth crown has punctured faces inward into the skull, and is called the 'cerebral' surface because all those holes are for cranial nerves... in other words, that side is right next to the brain. 2); the bone itself has also been reworked. A reworked bone will most likely not end up with any shard of tooth left in it, much less a complete well preserved meg.

Bobby

It's part of a small X-fish. Here is a photo of the entire find. It was a "pile" of bones found in one spot. There were a few x-fish parts, some cimolichthys fish parts, a squalicorax tooth, and the cretoxyrhina tooth. On the other side of this bone, you can see the base of the tooth, and another tooth broken off in the bone. They are both broken off flush with the bone surface. It's kind of fun to imagine what happened here.

I like to think the x-fish ate the cimolichthys, then a Cretoxyrhina was attracted to the kill and killed the X-fish, and finally a squalicorax showed up and chewed on the scraps losing a tooth.

A vivid scenario! What a great find, and a compelling interpretation of the evidence. I love it when it's not just about the bones.

Archived