Shark Verts

falcondriver

I have some verts that will probably sit in a metal ammo can for a couple of decades. My question is there a place that might like to display them or use them for fossils care class or something? I am rambling on but looking for imput?

Thanks FD

I have some verts that will probably sit in a metal ammo can for a couple of decades. My question is there a place that might like to display them or use them for fossils care class or something? I am rambling on but looking for imput?

Thanks FD

If you don't find a taker locally, there is a 6th Grade science teacher in Maine who placed thee following ad in Fossil News:

MAINE SCIENCE TEACHER NEEDS FOSSILS!!

Maine is not endowed with fossils. I'd like to

acquire fossils from your state to develop my

Fossil Mystery science program! Either a se

of typical fossils from your state or a group of

the same fossils would be much appreciated.

I'd be glad to make a contribution or pay for

shipping!

Clay Carkin - 6th grade science

Freeport Middle School

19 Kendall Lane

Freeport, ME 04032

Clay_Carkin@coconetme.org

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

DUDE! That ammo can has a full clip in it; those verts are associated!

post-423-1214785102.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I saw one sticking out of the mud, everytime I stuck my hand in- out came a vert. It was an exciting find.

FD

THAT is one exciting find! Congrats FD!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest bmorefossil

wow!!!! dont trade that away just sit it on a shelf, for the others just sit it around or in a case

I'd be very interested to know where they're from? Where did you find these verts and could there be more of them stuck in the ud where you found these?? Maybe some teeth as well.

As far as displays I have about a dozen assocated shark vert strings. If they're loose verts what I do is go to Home Depot and in the contractor section (where they have the 2x4 etc.) I look for the metal bull nose trims they sell in I bellieve is 8' sections (for corners on drywall). It looks like a rounded gutter. I spray paint it flat black and cut it to the sise needed for the number of verts I have ... works perfect :-). You probably have to mount it on wood some way, but it makes a fantastic display.

As far as displays I have about a dozen assocated shark vert strings. If they're loose verts what I do is go to Home Depot and in the contractor section (where they have the 2x4 etc.) I look for the metal bull nose trims they sell in I bellieve is 8' sections (for corners on drywall). It looks like a rounded gutter. I spray paint it flat black and cut it to the sise needed for the number of verts I have ... works perfect :-). You probably have to mount it on wood some way, but it makes a fantastic display.

Very innovative! Pleas post a picture, when you have a chance.

Another possibility is making a plaster/fiberglass (or burlap for the thriftier man) cradle. It'll cost you about ten bucks, and you can even paint it black if you wish, and line it with foam, and trim it down so it looks nice. Just line up all the verts the way they fit together (naturally I mean - it looks like falcon's vertebral column has a bend to it) in a sandbox, cover the whole thing with plastic wrap (sandbox too), and then saturate (1' by 1' squares works, but may be too big in this case) pieces of thin fiberglass (or burlap) and lay them directly on the fossil (with the plastic barrier of course). Then smooth the plaster out, get the cradle to hug the fossil (but not so much that the fossil won't come out after!). Let it dry, then trim down and sand any edges, paint, etc. and voila! You now have a curatorial/museum quality specimen cradle. I've made several of these for fossils, primarily whale and porpoise skulls. I've got one for a baleen whale thats 3' long, lined w/ foam, and has successfully protected the skull on a cross country trip from MT back here.

Bobby

That was exactly my response... a little more colorful though...

That is one rare and cool find.

Ed

DUDE! That ammo can has a full clip in it; those verts are associated!

Archived