Alopias Sp. From Lee Creek!

Sharktoothguy11222

Hey there everyone!

I got this tooth off of eBay tonight, and I am stumped. At first, I thought that it was Alopias superciliosus, by the "apparent nutrient groove". However, upon closer inspection, it seemed as if there was no nutrient groove(or is there?).

So then I thought that it was A. latidens. I already have 3 in my collection from LEE CREEK!!!, but this one seems different.

Any and all input is welcome. This one is a tricky one!

Enjoy! LEE CREEK!!!!

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190230516249

and some pics(I'll post more when I get the tooth):post-282-1214790961_thumb.jpgpost-282-1214790970_thumb.jpg

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I was looking at that one as well (I won the Brachycarcharias set he had). I would say, once you get the tooth, check for a nutrient groove. That's the big giveaway. No or minimal groove = A.latidens. Strong groove = A.superciliosus.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I was looking at that one as well (I won the Brachycarcharias set he had). I would say, once you get the tooth, check for a nutrient groove. That's the big giveaway. No or minimal groove = A.latidens. Strong groove = A.superciliosus.

Congrats on that Brachycarcharias set, they are some nice teeth.

As for the nutrient groove, as I said before, I'll check when I get them, but......this is a tricky one just looking at the pics. I read on elasmo that these teeth are so similar, that from the modern species, the only way to differentiate species is by counting that teeth.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Not sure that the nutrient groove presence or absence is conclusive in distinguishing between the two kinds of A. species found at Lee Creek.

Jim Bourdon, in his article on Alopias (on elasmo.com -- go through the Genera link to get to this article -- it differs from the page you get to going through the Lee Creek link), distinguishes two groups of Neogene Alopias teeth in the Lee Creek material (coming from either Upper or Lower Pungo River material), comparing them to extant A. superciliosus and A. vulpinus. (Purdy et al in their volume on Lee Creek shark teeth concluded that the two Lee Creek species were in fact the extant species.)

More importantly, Bourdon writes the following of what he identifies as A. cf superciliosus: "Often lacking in these Pungo River specimens is the distinct nutrient groove seen in extant material; this is likely an issue of preservation, but warrants the "cf" notation."

I followed Bourdon's lead with the one Alopias I've found in Lee Creek material -- see picture:

post-100-1214848539_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams