Something Uncommon

isurus90064

Figured I start up something with less common teeth that maybe interesting fo reasons other than size or beauty. The tooth attached is a Cardabiodon venator from the Carlisle Shale from Kansas.

post-488-1263349817975_thumb.jpg

Edited by isurus90064

Where does this one fit in the taxonomy? I've never heard of it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I remember having read some time ago that the family Cardabiodontidae includes Parotodus.

Perhaps Cardabiodon is it's ancestor?

Siverson (1999) described a new genus (Cardabiodon) and erected a new Family CARDABIODONTIDAE for it based on material from the Cenomanian of Australia. He moved Parotodus into this family. While creating this new family seemed warranted, moving Parotodus into this family seems less well argued, although it's entirely possibly. He considered the defining tooth characteristics for this family to be the presence of four upper & lower anterior tooth positions.

Of the top of my head Cardabiodon has been found in Norway, western Australia, eastern Russia, France, and Kansas.

Additional examples:

http://www.oceansofkansas.com/KS-sharks.html (about half-down a very loooong page).

http://users.skynet.be/somniosus/Turonian_2.htm

• I found this Informative 1

Of the top of my head Cardabiodon has been found in Norway, western Australia, eastern Russia, France, and Kansas.

Cardabiodon is also found in Montana as published by Siverson.

Figured I start up something with less common teeth that maybe interesting fo reasons other than size or beauty. The tooth attached is a Cardabiodon vernator from the Carlisle Shale from Kansas.

Attached are two additional pics of Cardabiodon teeth. The KS tooth is also from the Carlisle Shale.

post-294-1214844418_thumb.jpg

Hey Marcel, you can add Montana to that list. I recently received a reprint by Siverson and (can't remember the coauthor, but his first name was Johan, and he was a postdoc at UCMP a year ago or so, studying mosasaurs...) someone, 2006 or so (can't recall the journal either). But they described teeth of Cardabiodon and Johnlongia from eastern Montana (I can't remember the rock unit either!).

I can't remember a whole lot, primarily because I left my folder of cretaceous shark papers back in MT for the summer.

Bobby

Hey Marcel, you can add Montana to that list. I recently received a reprint by Siverson and (can't remember the coauthor, but his first name was Johan, and he was a postdoc at UCMP a year ago or so, studying mosasaurs...) someone, 2006 or so (can't recall the journal either). But they described teeth of Cardabiodon and Johnlongia from eastern Montana (I can't remember the rock unit either!).

I can't remember a whole lot, primarily because I left my folder of cretaceous shark papers back in MT for the summer.

Bobby

Bobby/Marcel

The authors of the paper were M. Siverson and Johan Lindgren. This paper also reported the presence of Cretoxyrhina mantelli. The teeth were from the Fairpoint mb of the Carlile shale (Lower Middle Turonian) in east-central (Mosby area) of MT.

The cite is: Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 50 (2), 2005

FS

This is probably my rarest tooth- Trigonotodus alteri, the cusped giant thresher. Of the 3 types of giant thresher (serrated and unserrated with no cusps being the other 2) I believe this is the rarest species. The only place they are found in the world is the Oligocene of South Carolina. I think its a lower center/anterior; they're smaller based on modern thresher dentitions and the main cusp isn't curved. Of the 3 or so that I've ever seen offered for sale, this is the only one without considerable damage

post-77-1214911025_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

This is probably my rarest tooth- Trigonotodus alteri, the cusped giant thresher. Of the 3 types of giant thresher (serrated and unserrated with no cusps being the other 2) I believe this is the rarest species. The only place they are found in the world is the Oligocene of South Carolina. I think its a lower center/anterior; they're smaller based on modern thresher dentitions and the main cusp isn't curved. Of the 3 or so that I've ever seen offered for sale, this is the only one without considerable damage

Wow, this is a spectacular tooth. Is this analogous to the angustidens in the Carcharocles line? (ie, lost the cusps

and evolved into the Miocene/Pliocene giant threshsers?)

Here's a tooth that is pretty uncommon. It's a commons species (hastalis/xiphodon/whatever) that's found in

Aurora, but the dimensions are freaky. It's 2 3/8".... wide. (2 11/16" max slant length). Must have been a huge shark!

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1214916195_thumb.jpg

Hey Northern, I love the shape of that tooth!! Classic! .. also my favorite.

Guest bmorefossil

This is very interesting because while looking through teeth this year pulling out thrasher teeth I came across what to me looked like a thrasher but with a cusps on one side, I never thought a thrasher could have cusps but I put it in the trashed drawer anyway, the oddest part is the tooth is Miocene!!! I'm in Delaware right now but when I get back I'll take pics

Figured I start up something with less common teeth that maybe interesting fo reasons other than size or beauty. The tooth attached is a Cardabiodon vernator from the Carlisle Shale from Kansas.

Wow, what a beautiful tooth! Looks to me as if it is from the Parotodus family?

Not shark teeth, but uncommon none the less.

These are Avisaurus archibaldi, a late Cretaceous bird, all from Hell Creek. The largest is 1/4". They are sort of the "6 inch Meg" of the bird fossil world.

post-423-1214929530_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

post-213-1214937114_thumb.jpg

I have a couple, but this is the best I have in my collection. Ashley River, Dorchester County, SC. 36mm x 32mm.

Not shark teeth, but uncommon none the less.

These are Avisaurus archibaldi, a late Cretaceous bird, all from Hell Creek. The largest is 1/4". They are sort of the "6 inch Meg" of the bird fossil world.

NICE! I love it. 1/4" for a bird tooth that's huuge.

Eocene shark vert string still in the jacket. This one comes from the area around Oued Zem, Morocco. There are a total of 68 verts on the surface with a few more slightly buried in the matrix. This piece has no restoration or repair done to it.

post-488-12633498812005_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

Something struck me as I looked at those vertbebrae. They appear to be placed in an ancient Egyptian text that only I know how to read. To help you understand what it is saying, I've translated it here: "These vertebrae belong to N.AL.Hunter. If found please return."

Eocene shark vert string still in the jacket....

Truely spectacular!

post-423-1214956053.gif

I contest N.AL.hunter's translation. It is clearly Arabic, hence being from Morocco. It most likely says "Give them to the guy with the longest name on the forum". This is clearly me! LOL

ANAYWAY :rolleyes:

That is a truly one of a kind collector piece. I think Gordon Hubbell has an associated set of Otodus verts. You would'nt happen to have an id on that beauty now would you ^_^ ???

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!