Something Uncommon

isurus90064

Hey Siteseer :-) its always been my understanding based on a discussion I had with one of the dealers/geologist in Tucson that the Ridgeville Pit has exposures of both Pliocene and Oligocene age. I also have one or two C. carcharias from there and several early makos.

I thought all the teeth from Austin Pit were Pliocene. I have a definite Carcharodon carcharias from there - also a Parotodus like yours.
Edited by isurus90064
  • I found this Informative 1

The Ridgeville site actually had at least two pits. The best one was a lake when I collected there. I found Pliocene/Pleistocene, Oligocene, and Eocene material (a reworked Auriculatis). My best find was a near perfect Oligocene Squalodon molar. When the first pit was active two local collectors I know found some amazing Great White teeth and also a massive walrus tusk. Some of their other finds included Paratodus, Notorhynchus, Carcharhinus, Isurus, and Galeocerdo teeth. Many of them were pristine with a wide variety of colors.

The Ridgeville site actually had at least two pits. The best one was a lake when I collected there. I found Pliocene/Pleistocene, Oligocene, and Eocene material (a reworked Auriculatis). My best find was a near perfect Oligocene Squalodon molar. When the first pit was active two local collectors I know found some amazing Great White teeth and also a massive walrus tusk. Some of their other finds included Paratodus, Notorhynchus, Carcharhinus, Isurus, and Galeocerdo teeth. Many of them were pristine with a wide variety of colors.

Ron:

Yes, I saw that walrus tusk - quite a find! Also, one of the finest Parotodus teeth I've ever seen came from this site. Fortunately, I've held on to several of those colorful Great White teeth found in Ridgeville. In fact, I posted some of these photos in the distant past. To me one of the most interesting facts at the two pits were the incredible number of Notorhynchus teeth found. For a small site(s) there was a inordinate number of cow shark teeth found. I saw a collection of 50 cow shark teeth amassed by one one of the two collectors to which you are most likely making reference.

FS

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Figured I’d revive this old thread:  here’s an undescribed Cardabiodontid posterior tooth from Toolebuc Formation of Australia. 

E8B959D9-83DB-4400-8A26-1BDB3076F4EB.jpeg

BD1CB3E4-0588-4F31-A226-DC0C07470029.jpeg