Something Uncommon

isurus90064

Clearly, the verts are laid out in Nordic runes. When you send me my verts, I'll be happy to pay for the shipping (since I'm such a nice guy).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Clearly, the verts are laid out in Nordic runes. When you send me my verts, I'll be happy to pay for the shipping (since I'm such a nice guy).

Yes Auspex you are remarkably generous, thank you .. :-)

I'm learning as I go because verts are not my specialty. I'm working on an ID through comparative systematics but it will take some time and there's no guarantees in getting anytihng conclusive. Fyi there's another vert string I just posted ni the gallery which is Otodus.

Guest bmorefossil
Something struck me as I looked at those vertbebrae. They appear to be placed in an ancient Egyptian text that only I know how to read. To help you understand what it is saying, I've translated it here: "These vertebrae belong to N.AL.Hunter. If found please return."

No I think you got your translation wrong it says bmorefossil and not n.al. Hunter lol

No I think you got your translation wrong it says bmorefossil and not n.al. Hunter lol

All you guys got it wrong. It actually says "Give Eddie that red Peruvian tooth pictured in your avatar." :)

That is an incredible piece!

Thanks,

Eddie

Eddie your Peruvian tooth is on the way ...

I also mentioned I was going to post some non-serrated threshers. For the sake of completeness I also included the serrated ones, a cusped thresher, and several Oligocene Parotodus sp. teeth.

1.17"/2.97cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, SC

1.14"/2.89cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, "4-hole swamp", SC

1.49"/3.78cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, Hawthorne Formation, Austin Pit, Ridgeville, SC

post-423-12637803453642_thumb.jpg

post-423-12637803618716_thumb.jpg

post-423-12637803767575_thumb.jpg

The systematics for giant threshers has been too poorly described and is murky at best to fit neatly into Trigonotodus and/or Alopias. Here is a cusped version (another 2 beautiful examples are listed earlier in this topic by 'Northern Sharks' and 'hybodus').

post-488-1263349961716_thumb.jpg

The following teeth are very comparable in size, morphology, and overall proportions. The exception is that the first tooth is not serrated and the second is.

2.04"/5.19cm - Ashepoo River, Hawthorne Formation, Ace River Basin, SC

2.10"/5.33cm - Hawthorne Formation, Ace River Basin, SC

post-488-1263352612566_thumb.jpgpost-488-12633526183847_thumb.jpg

post-488-12633526152214_thumb.jpgpost-488-12633526089844_thumb.jpg

Now here is some of the murky part. In the previous example it's no stretch to imagine the development of serrations resulting in the serrated version (not unlike C. hastalis > C. carcharias). The following is a tooth from an earlier time (early middle miocene as opposed late middle to late Miocene in the previous example) .... but notice it has serrations!?!?

1.66"/4.21cm - Early Middle Miocene, Calvert Formation, Westmoreland County, VA

post-423-12633516148774_thumb.jpgpost-423-12633516382734_thumb.jpg

earlier non serrated examples (Oligocene) ....

1.83"/4.65cm - Wando River, Ashley Formation, Cooper Group, SC

post-423-1263351069883_thumb.jpgpost-423-12633510471055_thumb.jpg

1.80"/4.56cm - Wando River, Ashley Formation, Cooper Group, SC

post-423-12633511172735_thumb.jpgpost-423-12633510924356_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the number and lenghty postings at once but these teeth in context are more interesting and food for thought .... thanks.

Eddie your Peruvian tooth is on the way ...

I also mentioned I was going to post some non-serrated threshers. For the sake of completeness I also included the serrated ones, a cusped thresher, and several Oligocene Parotodus sp. teeth.

1.17"/2.97cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, Chandler Bridge Formation, Summerville, SC

1.14"/2.89cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, "4-hole swamp", SC

1.49"/3.78cm - Parotodus sp., Oligocene, Hawthorne Formation, Austin Pit, Ridgeville, SC

Thanks, I'll let you know when the tooth arrives. :)

Wow, your giant thresher collection is awesome. So it seems very possible there were two lines/species

of giant threshers (one with serrated teeth and the other with unserrated teeth) that existed simultaneously.

Also, hard to tell from pictures, but the Pamunkey River example seems to have a different look to it than

the rest.

Great stuff, thanks for posting the pics along with all the information. Since I was able to get a couple of

these Trig./Alopias teeth, I find it quite interesting, if not puzzling.

Thanks,

Eddie

Somniosus microcephalus (Bloch and Schneider, 1801)

Miocene/Pliocene

Doel, Antwerp area, Belgium

Found in ex-situ material dredged from the bottom of the Deurganck Dock.

post-456-1215070494_thumb.jpg post-456-1215070502_thumb.jpg

Still one of my favourites .....

Edit: This species exhibits dignathic heterodonty, this is a tooth from the lower jaw.

• I found this Informative 1

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Marcel: For Pete's sake man, DO NOT apologize for posting so many pics of your amazing collection. Stuff like that doesn't come up for sale too often (or ever) so this is how I get my rare tooth fix.

Synechodus: Cool tooth. I'd never seen a fossil Somniosus(Sleeper shark) before

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Eddie: the Pamunkey tooth is roughly contemporary to the other large serrated tooth and appears to be more of an anterior version. You'd have to take that with a grain of salt until somebody finds an associated thresher like that and if that's me I'll mail it to you asap :-).

Synechodus: NICE tooth! I've always know these are rare (from anywhere), how rare are these teeth (and I realize that that a somewhaat subjective question)? How many have you seen and what formation/layer do these come from?

Northern: thanks, I'm glad you like :-).

Seeing the post of the Somniosus microcephalus posted by Synechodus reminded me that I had such a tooth received some years ago in trade with a collector from the Netherlands. I have posted both lingual and labial views of this tooth.

In truth, I know essentially nothing about this species of shark tooth. I do know the species exhibits dignathic heterodonty and hopefully this explains the difference between this tooth and the one belonging to Synechodus. Since my knowledge of this species is so limited, I will apologize in advance if the identification is incorrect. If so, I will be pleased to correct the identification based on other's knowledge.

Thanks for looking.

FS

post-294-1215105394_thumb.jpg

post-294-1215105435_thumb.jpg

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK.I've got what might be a dumb question, but here it is anyways: Why is it that we say "an unknown shark's tooth"? There are many types of fish in the seas that have teeth that are not a chondrichthyes. Seems weird to say an unknown tooth, specially one that might not be of a characteristic shape, belongs to a shark. Just a thought. If there is a particular characteristic of shark teeth that definitively says "this is a shark tooth", then please let me know. Thanks. (Does it have to do with the roots?)

OK.I've got what might be a dumb question, but here it is anyways: Why is it that we say "an unknown shark's tooth"? There are many types of fish in the seas that have teeth that are not a chondrichthyes. Seems weird to say an unknown tooth, specially one that might not be of a characteristic shape, belongs to a shark. Just a thought. If there is a particular characteristic of shark teeth that definitively says "this is a shark tooth", then please let me know. Thanks. (Does it have to do with the roots?)

One of the answers to this question is by comparison of extinct and extant examples of the tooth in question. In the case of Somniosus the shark is know from the Miocene to the the present.

The systematics for giant threshers has been too poorly described and is murky at best to fit neatly into Trigonotodus and/or Alopias. Here is a cusped version (another 2 beautiful examples are listed earlier in this topic by 'Northern Sharks' and 'hybodus').

Marcel

By chance, do you know of any fossil shark workers who have any work in study attempting to add clarity the "murky at best" confusion re the large threshers? I always thought assignment of these teeth with such varying morphologies to Trigonotodus somewhat of a "stretch". Just my 2 cents. ^_^

Marcel: For Pete's sake man, DO NOT apologize for posting so many pics of your amazing collection. Stuff like that doesn't come up for sale too often (or ever) so this is how I get my rare tooth fix.

Synechodus: Cool tooth. I'd never seen a fossil Somniosus(Sleeper shark) before

Put my name on the list just below Northern Sharks!! Keep on posting and we will "keep on a looking" Such postings of fossil shark teeth (and all other fossils) is what keeps this forum so interesting. We are given the opportunity to see what others have in their collections from diverse locations world-wide. :):):)

The pictures and pertinent information/comments provide the chance to learn more about the fossils of interest for all collectors.

Thanks to all who post!

Guest bmorefossil

well here are my uncommon finds, 2 Alopias Grandis the larger has serrations on the back of the tooth but cant get a picture of it, a smaller Alopias Grandis and a huge lower desori, they dont get much bigger than this!!!!

post-17-1215118911_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215118933_thumb.jpg

post-17-1215118961_thumb.jpg

While it isn't as impressive looking as a 2" serrated giant thresher :wub: , this is the only one of these teeth I've seen in this condition. It's a Hybodont shark -Lissodus selachos from the Cretaceous of Montana. The rare thing about it is that the root is basically complete. Even Elasmo.com doesn't have a picture of one with a full root. This is about average size for the species

post-77-1215122087_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Or some Lissodus breve teeth, complete with roots. From the Cretaceous, Lower Wealden of Sussex. FOV = 10mm These also, are usually found without roots.

post-45-1215122715_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.