Something Uncommon

isurus90064

Sorry about the double pic on the last post.

I don't mind seeing doubles of these teeth!!!

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Eddie

Here's an uncommon and hard to get to locality - 5.16"/130.88cm, Late Miocene - Pliocene, Matanzas Prov., Municipio Cárdenas, Loma de Fines Quarries, near Cardenas, Western Cuba.

OMG, cuban megs :o :o :o VERY nice!

Thats the only one I've seen immaculate. I've seen 2 others and both were moderately or severlely damaged. VERY RARE! nice :DB) B)

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Here's an uncommon and hard to get to locality - 5.16"/130.88cm, Late Miocene - Pliocene, Matanzas Prov., Municipio Cárdenas, Loma de Fines Quarries, near Cardenas, Western Cuba.

Marcel:

That is one fantastic tooth from one rare location. I heard there were several available at Tucson this year. I saw one of these purchased by a friend of mine. It was in excellent condition but well short of 5". Also, I really like the color.

One GREAT Post. :P

Guest bmorefossil

wow i like how the tooth is completely white!!!

Here the teeth Isistius triangulus

Is it my eyes, or are the edges of that tooth translucent?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Is it my eyes, or are the edges of that tooth translucent?

yea on very small teeth they get like that, its really cool

Since this is a thread about uncommon teeth, I thought I'd show ya'all some of mine.

This is an Echinorhinus priscus, an extinct Bramble shark. From the Early Paleocene Epoch from the Atlas Mountains Phosphate Pits in Khouribga, Morocco. This is Super Rare. And, look at the condition it's in. Only some minor root dings is its only major flaw.

post-282-1215646059_thumb.jpgpost-282-1215646072_thumb.jpg[attachm

ent=8175:Bronx_zoo1_003.jpg]

Enjoy!

post-282-1215646080_thumb.jpg

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Since this is a thread about uncommon teeth, I thought I'd show ya'all some of mine.

This is an Echinorhinus priscus, an extinct Bramble shark. From the Early Paleocene Epoch from the Atlas Mountains Phosphate Pits in Khouribga, Morocco. This is Super Rare. And, look at the condition it's in. Only some minor root dings is its only major flaw.

Enjoy!

You do not see many Brambles from Morocco (or anywhere else for that matter). Excellent specimen :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't think there are any Cardabiodon teeth to be found in Norway. The vast majority of teeth from Stary Oskol in Russia, labeled Cardabiodon are Dwardius siversoni. The teeth may look very similar but there are major differences in dentition design. There is a Cardabiodon in the upper Albian at Stary Oskol but it is rare.

Of the top of my head Cardabiodon has been found in Norway, western Australia, eastern Russia, France, and Kansas.

Cardabiodon is also found in Montana as published by Siverson.

• I found this Informative 1

Well, I don't think there are any Cardabiodon teeth to be found in Norway. The vast majority of teeth from Stary Oskol in Russia, labeled Cardabiodon are Dwardius siversoni. The teeth may look very similar but there are major differences in dentition design. There is a Cardabiodon in the upper Albian at Stary Oskol but it is rare.

Hello Mikael, it's good to see the scientific community chiming in.

That is what you call "White Gold"

Here are a few Megachasma teeth from an area about 2 miles northeast of Sharktooth Hill called Pyramid Hill, Kern County, CA.

Attached are a few more Megachasma from the same location.

post-294-1217703692_thumb.jpgpost-294-1217703722_thumb.jpg

I'm back from my "Four States in Four Days" fossil trip. I did a big circle through Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Two of the reasons it went so quick were that my two favorite abandoned quarries for Carboniferous shark teeth have been destroyed due to road widening, and it rained like crazy so the creeks I usually find loaded with fossils were loaded with muddy water. I managed to find some fossil crumbs and got some pics of tiny shark teeth in massive limestone blocks. The teeth are still there. I could have gotten them out if I had a portable concrete saw or a small nuclear warhead. Better luck next time.

Here are some Brambles from (top to bottom) the Eocene Muddy Creek site, Chile, and Lee Creek.

post-210-1217731987_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hey FS

Not many people know about Pyramid Hill (and certainly not that it's very close to STH). I don't know how much you enjoy this sort of site/fauna but in case you do, you might enjoy this selection I put together today:

The photo depicts all the below genera, although I'm fairly sure I'm missing one or two:

Isurus sp.

Galeocerdo spp.

Squatina sp.

Carcharhinus spp.

Pristiophorus sp.

Megachasma sp.

Hexanchus sp.

Galeorhinus sp.

Cetorhinus sp.

Carcharias sp.

Hemipristis sp.

Sphyrna sp.