Paleo Art

chele

I want to do a paleo painting but I just do not know what creatures or enviornment to paint. I thought I would ask you guys what might be a great subject to paint.(and no I will not use mod podge to cover it) I have painted many things over the years but nothing paleo. I do not know what colors to use since nobody has ever seen what color these extinct animals were. I could use my imagination but it probably would be wrong. Maybe a water envornment or a land, hmmm....maybe a little of both. I would like to hear some expert opinnions, and there is no better place to ask than here! Below are some paintings I have done in the past.

post-5476-0-92897600-1305787521_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-04244600-1305787564_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-97182300-1305787610_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-30969300-1305787624_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-61326100-1305787695_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-14726000-1305787935_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-64167400-1305788001_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

I think something along the lines of Ice age mammals would be cool. Like Mammoths and sabre tooth cats. Or any of the other animals that were in North America during last ice age period would be cool.

I think something along the lines of Ice age mammals would be cool. Like Mammoths and sabre tooth cats. Or any of the other animals that were in North America during last ice age period would be cool.

I agree with you, Ice age mammals are a good idea, another suggestion can be a freshwater enviroment with crocodile like Sarcosuchus , Deinosuchus or others species, I think their anatomy and colors don't differ so much from today species

Edited by Raff

I'd like to see some Hallucigenias and Opabinas and other Burgess Shale Fauna, there are some out there but they mostly look like low poly models or cartoony.

Also a Mosasaur or Icthyosaur environment would be nice...:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Hello all, sould you include some pics with suggestions? I would like to be correct with the animals and and their environment. I Kmow everyone has a favorite era or animal and I was just curious to what these were.

Thank you,

Chele

Chelebele

I'd like to see some Hallucigenias and Opabinas and other Burgess Shale Fauna, there are some out there but they mostly look like low poly models or cartoony.

Also a Mosasaur or Icthyosaur environment would be nice...:)

Hello Xonenine, I can't find much on Hallucigenias. I included a pic of one that I found. I can not find a pic for Opabinas.

post-5476-0-72128700-1305813406_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

The first thing that comes to mind is the movie Ice Age. The sabre tooth cats are always cool. And we can't forget Manny and Sid!

post-5476-0-38062000-1305813856_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

:) Ice age works for me.Once seen a amazing picture [to me ] of a underwater view of a Mastodon swimming with other fishes in the water.The amazing parts of this was I learned that day that Elephants can swim ,and that the artist was a young Savant. It looked more like a photo than a painting. It was sold a week later at a very good price. :D

Bear-dog.

:) Ice age works for me.Once seen a amazing picture [to me ] of a underwater view of a Mastodon swimming with other fishes in the water.The amazing parts of this was I learned that day that Elephants can swim ,and that the artist was a young Savant. It looked more like a photo than a painting. It was sold a week later at a very good price. :D

Hello Beardog, I was thinking of something along those lines. I had a image in my mind of a marine predator looking up at a distorted veiw of a land predator.

Chelebele

You might take a beautiful scene from Yellowstone and replace the Bison with Mammoths and Lions. Just a thought.

Or you can do a view looking out of a high, rocky, grey-blue cave. There could be a waterfall out in the foggy distance and flying reptiles in the air, some nesting on the cliff walls.

In my opinion, when it comes to wildlife art, the scenery is extremely important, as it sets the mood and overall color of the painting. You can look up museum animal dioramas online for inspiration, too.

There are some amazing paleo art profiles online you can search for. One that comes to mind is dinos running from a night time forest fire. It was very cool.

By the way, your art is very good. B)

Edited by 32fordboy

Hello Xonenine, I can't find much on Hallucigenias. I included a pic of one that I found. I can not find a pic for Opabinas.

you did great actually, the swimmer in your photo is an anomilocaris, the one with the elongated snout is an opabina, and here's a hallucigenia :)

post-4577-0-93780200-1305817590_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

You might take a beautiful scene from Yellowstone and replace the Bison with Mammoths and Lions. Just a thought.

Or you can do a view looking out of a high, rocky, grey-blue cave. There could be a waterfall out in the foggy distance and flying reptiles in the air, some nesting on the cliff walls.

In my opinion, when it comes to wildlife art, the scenery is extremely important, as it sets the mood and overall color of the painting. You can look up museum animal dioramas online for inspiration, too.

There are some amazing paleo art profiles online you can search for. One that comes to mind is dinos running from a night time forest fire. It was very cool.

By the way, your art is very good. B)

Hello 32, all are a very good idea. I love doing landscapes. With all these good ideas I might have to do a couple of paintings. :D

Chelebele

The more time you think about it the lee time you have to paint.

Do a land scape and the animals will comesmile.gif

Something similar to this would be cool as 32fordboy said take a real life landscape and add the ice age animals and then I can give ya my address to send the painting :) :) :)My link

Make yours all you though by using local landscapes in that are existing. The pictures you paint are beautiful so I will be speechless I am sure when we get to see them... :)

Edited by Tarheel59

Thank you Tarheel, I might put it up for another Forum auction in the future. It would be a hard sell here. Everyone likes the deer, elk, bear and other wildlife. Cowboy art does well here also. I am going to do two out of all the suggestions I recieve.

Something similar to this would be cool as 32fordboy said take a real life landscape and add the ice age animals and then I can give ya my address to send the painting :) :) :)My link

Make yours all you though by using local landscapes in that are existing. The pictures you paint are beautiful so I will be speechless I am sure when we get to see them... :)

Chelebele

Bear-dog,

I think I've seen other works by same artist. I can't recall the name but believe it started with "R." Years ago, a Florida dealer brought several paintings to Tucson and then I saw a couple for sale at the Tampa show a few years ago. It was really nice work.

There was a commercial maybe several years ago now in which an elephant is seen swimming between islands. There are a couple of videos on Youtube but not the commercial.

:) Ice age works for me. Once seen a amazing picture [to me ] of a underwater view of a Mastodon swimming with other fishes in the water.The amazing parts of this was I learned that day that Elephants can swim ,and that the artist was a young Savant. It looked more like a photo than a painting. It was sold a week later at a very good price. :D