Sign in to follow this  
2gould

Adirondacks

2gould

Hey Guys:

I am going to the Adks for 4 days starting tomorrow. My research has indicatd that NY state has a decent amount of Trilobites, Brachiopods and clams. Has anyone hunted around the Adirondacks and had success? I am staying in the Old Forge area and probably won't be able to travel too far, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Charley

Guest solius symbiosus

The Adirondacks are basement rock complexes that have undergone metamophism. Probably won't find any fossils there, but the area has some very interesting structure, minerology, rock types, ect.

Take some pics of the rocks, and anything that looks unusual.

2gould

Thanks Solius:

Yeah, it doesn't appear that the ADKs are a prime fossil locale... B)

However, my fiances' parents own 10+ acres in the Hamilton area that contains several shale beds. I just found this out and can't wait to go hunting up there - and, hunting permission is already obtained... :P

2gould

I will definitely post some pics if I find anything but unfortunately the land is about 5 hours from where I live so I don't know when I will get out there next...

Guest solius symbiosus

When you are in the Adirondacks, be sure to check the rocks for anything that looks different, ie, things that should be round aren't, stretched things, weird lineations ... or anything that looks unusual. There should be some pretty cool structure in that area.

This site details some of the structure, but it is kind of technical

http://instruct.uwo.ca/earth-sci/fieldlog/...Adirondacks.htm

2gould

Thanks for the link. I was a bit unclear when I mentioned Hamilton. I just realized that there was a Hamilton county as well as a Hamilton city. I was refering to the city. The county where the land is located is Chenango County. However, from the NY Geological map you sent me that appears to be middle to late Devonian as well - if I am reading it correctly. Am I on the right track? Thanks Solius!

Guest solius symbiosus
Am I on the right track?

Yeah, It looks to be Mid. Dev. sediments in that area. I was looking at "Hamilton" the city when I posted that. The reference to the Adirondacks' structure, was for when you visit there.

Ordovician

I don't know if you can keep fossils in natural park in NY.....in Illinois that you can not pick any fossils, mushrooms or any plants in state park. Special permit for Mazon creek fossils!

You are lucky that own 10 acres then you can get all fossils you want! Check out creeks, too!

Devonian.....lot of fishes!

Have fun, wear safety goggle and let us know!

TheFossilHunter

too bad i saw this post too late. There isn't too much stuff in adirondacks. You wanna look in the rock to the south of Adirondacks park. herkimer county, for example, is a good general area to find stuff. I collect in NY a lot and could help you with the sites.

Hope you still found something on your trip

Mike