Show Us Your Best Dinosaur Tooth!

Paleoworld-101

3 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

And one of my rarest teeth is actually not dinosaurian, but similar morphologically. It belongs to a large terrestrial crocodile Iberosuchus cf. macrodon from the Eocene of Robiac, France. It is compressed and you can see fairly large serrations meaning it's a ziphodont tooth, as in theropod dinosaurs.

Wow that tooth is special.  Are there papers that describe it? Is the size typical for that species?

9 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Very beautiful tooth one of the best out there, couple questions.  Where from and what is its size.  Also trying to learn what makes that tooth an Allosaurus versus another theropod.  Never seen one that shape and size. Thanks

Thank you! It is a really special tooth. It is from Johnson County, Wyoming, Morrison Formation. 

Originally this tooth was thought of as a ceratosaurus, however having done a serration count and ran it past a few people it has been confirmed as an Allosaurus 

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

Oh and size wise it is just shy of 7cm

That is one big allosaurus tooth! Do you know where it would have been positioned in the jaw? 

2 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

That is one big allosaurus tooth! Do you know where it would have been positioned in the jaw? 

That’s a good question but I’m not sure I’m afraid. Maybe @troodon might know

On 12/25/2019 at 4:56 AM, Anomotodon said:

And one of my rarest teeth is actually not dinosaurian, but similar morphologically. It belongs to a large terrestrial crocodile Iberosuchus cf. macrodon from the Eocene of Robiac, France. It is compressed and you can see fairly large serrations meaning it's a ziphodont tooth, as in theropod dinosaurs.

Wow super tooth and I can see why its special and a ziphodont.   Never would have said Croc.  Thanks for posting.

7 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

4 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

That’s a good question but I’m not sure I’m afraid. Maybe @troodon might know

Absolutely spectacular tooth what else can I say other that never seen a Allo tooth that large.. are you sure its one?  Dentary teeth are typically smaller on Allos's so it would have to be a maxillary tooth and if so probably  #5 based on the attached chart, it the biggest.   Again back to my initial question is it one?   I've seen a few studies on Theropod teeth and the Allo teeth in those study rarely exceeded 55 mm but I'm not an expert so it could be one.  I saw your comment to TyBoy on serration density but that's only one feature that helps describe teeth hopefully you looked other characteristics.

Screenshot_20191226-051531.jpg.ba0c2853b6e46518de55f0cb724d8a5e.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Absolutely spectacular tooth what else can I say other that never seen a Allo tooth that large.. are you sure its one?  Dentary teeth are typically smaller on Allos's so it would have to be a maxillary tooth and if so probably  #5 based on the attached chart, it the biggest.   Again back to my initial question is it one?   I've seen a few studies on Theropod teeth and the Allo teeth in those study rarely exceeded 55 mm but I'm not an expert so it could be one.  I saw your comment to TyBoy on serration density but that's only one feature that helps describe teeth hopefully you looked other characteristics.

Screenshot_20191226-051531.jpg.ba0c2853b6e46518de55f0cb724d8a5e.jpg

Thank you. I have just re taken measurements and straight line it is 62mm and on the curve it is 70mm. It is also a lot more slender than other allosaurus teeth I have seen. I ran it past Ken Carpenter and he said it was likely the last premax tooth of an Allosaurus tooth which fits your comments.

Im happy to do some further measurements  and analysis 

You mention it being a big tooth, however I thought you had a 3 inch plus tooth on the matrix? Correct me if I’m wrong 

17 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Thank you. I have just re taken measurements and straight line it is 62mm and on the curve it is 70mm. It is also a lot more slender than other allosaurus teeth I have seen. I ran it past Ken Carpenter and he said it was likely the last premax tooth of an Allosaurus tooth which fits your comments.

Im happy to do some further measurements  and analysis 

You mention it being a big tooth, however I thought you had a 3 inch plus tooth on the matrix? Correct me if I’m wrong 

On second reading he originally thought this tooth was ceratosaurus. Looks like I need to do more measurements.

BD06809E-8FDF-4E35-950E-750CFBD73EAB.jpeg

7 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

On second reading he originally thought this tooth was ceratosaurus. Looks like I need to do more measurements.

Much better, I tend to agree with that and can be verified with measurements.  Same info needed shown in my PM for the other tooth.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Much better, I tend to agree with that and can be verified with measurements.  Same info needed shown in my PM for the other tooth.

Thanks! Leave it with me I’ll send you a PM over the next day or two with more close ups and measurements likewise with my latest Morrison theropod tooth. Please let me know your thoughts on my latest PM

1 hour ago, paulyb135 said:

Yes but it includes a root which has been worked on and hard to see in the photo.   The crown height is 55 mm still a whopper.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a rooted eocarcharia tooth, my rarest i think. Never seen one before. It doesn't compete with most teeth here tho

received_650885026478837.jpeg

received_1073095253371681.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

My 3.35" Serrated Carcharodontosaurus - My first and only (At least the next 2 weeks) fossil, a dream piece come true. 

315091656_1828241037510985_7758105624199667125_n.jpg