Show Us Your Best Dinosaur Tooth!

Paleoworld-101

Great stuff in postings above. Here's a 'family' photo. Same teeth with and without raptor jaw. Campanian....Oldman Formation, remote Lost River. I like the nasty little guys.

That's fantastic! A personal find?

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

That's fantastic! A personal find?

Yes, found all of my Cretaceous material.

This find was 'By chance'. After being on my hand and knees for an hour or so collecting at a micro vertebrate site...decided to hike around...there were golden eagle fledglings in the area so hoped to find the nest on one of the hoodoo ledges. Walked a hundred meters or so and 'bingo'....the teeth just sitting out in a spot I thought there wouldn't be anything.

This is another photo of the jaw. Roots in most of the sockets and on the end (not shown) the new seed teeth can be seen forming.

post-19254-0-56670100-1438820259_thumb.jpg

There's been too many Tyrannosaur teeth posted! Here's my Deinonychus tooth. Now that's a rare beauty :)

image_zpszr2irsdh.jpg

Edited by TheClawGuy
  • I found this Informative 1

This is the very first dinosaur tooth I found in Montana; a Tyrannosaur rex almost 2" long.

post-6211-0-46777900-1438839321_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

There's been too many Tyrannosaur teeth posted! Here's my Deinonychus tooth. Now that's a rare beauty :)image_zpszr2irsdh.jpg

Glad you were able to pick one up. Enjoy its very nice.

Yes, found all of my Cretaceous material.

This find was 'By chance'. After being on my hand and knees for an hour or so collecting at a micro vertebrate site...decided to hike around...there were golden eagle fledglings in the area so hoped to find the nest on one of the hoodoo ledges. Walked a hundred meters or so and 'bingo'....the teeth just sitting out in a spot I thought there wouldn't be anything.

This is another photo of the jaw. Roots in most of the sockets and on the end (not shown) the new seed teeth can be seen forming.

Boy that awesome and to have roots and seed teeth in it icing on the cake. Best finds are always unexpected.

This is the very first dinosaur tooth I found in Montana; a Tyrannosaur rex almost 2" long.

Wow quite impressive for a first find. Sure gives you the energy to keep hunting.

Wow quitea impressive for a first find. Sure gives you the energy to keep hunting.

It sure did. At the time I knew nothing about dino teeth. I wasn't there to look for fossils but after finding it I spent several hours looking and found 20-30 teeth. I made a mistake though and took them to work with me once and somebody stole them out of my desk (some of them were very nice!). Only 1 I have left is the first tooth I found, pictured on this thread, because it was in a display case at home. Learned a lesson there.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Ha!

Finding a Tyrannossaurid tooth starts the Fossil Fever.

Twice this summer I've taken newbies out into the badlands. Both times when I've come across a tooth, I just keep poking around, wave them over and let them 'find' it before it's collected. First thing is always rubbing the finger over the serrations. That 'wow' expression.They'll cherish that first tooth just like I did mine. Once they realize that we don't actually 'dig' for anything but just wander looking at the surface for 'stuff', they get the fever. You can always tell the real keeners when we stop for lunch...sandwich in one hand, still munching while bent over looking at the ground....can't stop searching.

Wyomingrocks re your lost teeth. My first Ankylosaur tooth ever. I put it in my shirt pocket so it wouldn't get mixed up in my other findings. Got back to the car and 'ugh', hole in pocket and I had lost it. Found many since but I still remember that empty feeling on the drive home.

Does this count? It is an Avisaurus archibaldi tooth - which was a toothed enantiornithine bird of the Late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Montana. Size: ~1cm

post-17665-0-38023800-1438877533_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Does this count? It is an Avisaurus archibaldi tooth - which was a toothed enantiornithine bird of the Late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Montana. Size: ~1cm

I'd say it does. Nice rare tooth.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

Sure does, and its enormous. Thumbs up from me.

Curious. Are you all finding the Avisaurus teeth in connection with some other micro fossils? Only certain locales?

I've never found any in the Hell Creek formation ( just north of Jordan, Montana). Nor any in our formations of equivalent age here in Alberta. Lots of other equally small micro vertebrates so not as if I would have missed them. Are they a regular find where you guys collect?

I'd say it does. Nice rare tooth.

Thanks! It is definitely my favorite tooth.

Sure does, and its enormous. Thumbs up from me.

Also thank you! It is the largest one I have ever seen. It has a buddy which is quite a bit smaller. I would have loved to see this bird in real life, it would have been terrifyingly awesome.

Curious. Are you all finding the Avisaurus teeth in connection with some other micro fossils? Only certain locales?

I've never found any in the Hell Creek formation ( just north of Jordan, Montana). Nor any in our formations of equivalent age here in Alberta. Lots of other equally small micro vertebrates so not as if I would have missed them. Are they a regular find where you guys collect?

I acquired this tooth from someone who very frequently searches Hell Creek micro matrix. He said he processed over 2000 pounds of matrix to find these teeth. I was very grateful and appreciative that he made the sale and trade with me, Avisaurus teeth are very very rare. They can be found at the normal microsites, but require a lot of luck and perseverance to find. I have searched very hard through lots of matrix in my time and have not come across one yet.

But keep trying and I am sure you'll succeed! Transitionary species like this are super interesting to me.

Once they realize that we don't actually 'dig' for anything but just wander looking at the surface for 'stuff', they get the fever.

Dang it, you mean I have been doing it all wrong all these years... we don't dig?

But seriously, I wanted to add this... I have also collected a lot of Lance and Hell Creek microsite fossils, both surface and digging then screenwashing, and I have never found am Avisaurus tooth. They are rare indeed, from this writer's point of view.

Edited by jpc

Thanks! It is definitely my favorite tooth.

Also thank you! It is the largest one I have ever seen. It has a buddy which is quite a bit smaller. I would have loved to see this bird in real life, it would have been terrifyingly awesome.

I acquired this tooth from someone who very frequently searches Hell Creek micro matrix. He said he processed over 2000 pounds of matrix to find these teeth. I was very grateful and appreciative that he made the sale and trade with me, Avisaurus teeth are very very rare. They can be found at the normal microsites, but require a lot of luck and perseverance to find. I have searched very hard through lots of matrix in my time and have not come across one yet.

But keep trying and I am sure you'll succeed! Transitionary species like this are super interesting to me.

Thanks for the insight. The effort to find Avisaurus tooth is certainly a labour of love.

It's also a reminder for patience when poking around a microsite. Sometimes I'll pick up a scrap and about to discard it when I orient it a certain way and it is suddenly a 'something' like a mammal tooth, weirdly shaped vertebra, etc.

Even any bird skeletal parts are rare. At least to recognize as avian. A few tiny bone ends now and then but that's it.

Dang it, you mean I have been doing it all wrong all these years... we don't dig?

But seriously, I wanted to add this... I have also collected a lot of Lance and Hell Creek microsite fossils, both surface and digging then screenwashing, and I have never found am Avisaurus tooth. They are rare indeed, from this writer's point of view.

Ha! I should have said, we don't sit all day with a pick and brush poking at a specimen. I'll get a bag of matrix now and then and screen it back home but most of the time either trekking up and down hoodoos or laying on my stomach with my face to the ground looking for 'something good' I'm heading out to the Scollard tomorrow, it's more of a 'big stuff' area than micro sites. A good days hunting might be a couple of T rex teeth, a couple other teeth, an ungual of some type, a scute...that's it. Whereas in the Oldman it's more searching for the perfect microsite...a day's loot might only fill half a ziplock bag but a more variety of goodies.

Ha! I should have said, we don't sit all day with a pick and brush poking at a specimen. I'll get a bag of matrix now and then and screen it back home but most of the time either trekking up and down hoodoos or laying on my stomach with my face to the ground looking for 'something good' I'm heading out to the Scollard tomorrow, it's more of a 'big stuff' area than micro sites. A good days hunting might be a couple of T rex teeth, a couple other teeth, an ungual of some type, a scute...that's it. Whereas in the Oldman it's more searching for the perfect microsite...a day's loot might only fill half a ziplock bag but a more variety of goodies.

You are very lucky to be so close to good Cretaceous land. A few T-rex teeth is no small haul in my eyes. I have searched for years in the Cretaceous deposits near me and have only found one dino tooth - a broken hadrosaur.

If you want to grab me a Large flat rate box of matrix while you are picking up those T-rex teeth, I would be delighted and happy to pay for the shipping and more :rolleyes: .

The avisaurus teeth aren't as easy to see on a glimpse as other shiny dinosaur teeth. They are not serrated, and are almost always very very tiny. I would recommend throughly washing the silt off of some matrix you collect rather than surface collecting. The dirt has a way of disguising fossils. Every time I go collecting, I fill up an entire rubbermaid box full of matrix, and often find my best fossils in it when I am at home. At some point I will post a topic on the teeth with some better angles.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's my newest addition:

Acheroraptor fully rooted tooth!

image_zpspl8xusq0.jpg

image_zpscvk87n3p.jpg

The second picture you can see where the next tooth was forming.

I guess I'll add the Allosaurus tooth I dug up myself:

image_zpspeepglw5.jpg

Edited by TheClawGuy
  • I found this Informative 3

Well here's my newest addition:

Acheroraptor fully rooted tooth!

The second picture you can see where the next tooth was forming.

I guess I'll add the Allosaurus I dug up myself:

I love the Acheroraptor!

So hard to get rooted dino teeth these days.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!